PDA

View Full Version : Cluster tool

ThePriest
07-20-2008, 12:21 AM
I"m trying to create an series of complex paper setups for a company who designs very stylish origami based designs.

I'm having trouble controlling the position of the null to make a perfect fold with the cluster tool, its like it has a mind of its own, most of the time I get awful stretching and messy results.

As a starting point, even the folding of a brochure into thirds, is giving me a difficult time.

Can anybody give me some pointers?

ThePriest
07-20-2008, 02:35 AM
To answer my own question. You can shift the axis of the cluster object to the desired 'fold' location.

Attached is an example using an xpresso setup, to control both pages.

Kokosing
07-20-2008, 08:35 AM
I've had more luck setting up the clusters manually. Create and position the nulls first, then make a selection tag, call up a cluster deformer and fill in the fields.

I posted a folding airplane in the unfolding map thread.

Also, the rotational morph targets are handy here.

A

3dj
07-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the file, I haven't messed with clusters at all. I think I suggested in another thread just how nice Modo was at this. Really easy to do a morph with the bend tool, and actually get the creases to roll and fold. Then export to C4d via FBX, however for everything to really work like you have, which is great, I would imagine it would need to be edited either with clusters or I always thought the rotational morphs would be the way to go.

Does anyone know if you can add these to an FBX imported - posemixer set up?

Thanks again.

-Jim

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2008, 03:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.