PDA

View Full Version : Little Big Planet wins best of show @ E3

SheepFactory
07-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Video here:

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/videos/27218/Best_of_E3_Awards_Best_of_Show.html

--

Well deserved. So many good games coming out I don't know how to find time to play them all.

Videos for:

Best of PS3:

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/videos/27219/Best_of_E3_Awards_Best_PS3_Game.html

Best of 360:

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/videos/27217/Best_of_E3_Awards_Best_Xbox_360_Game.html

Best of PC:

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/videos/27214/Best_of_E3_Awards_Best_PC_Game.html

Best of Nintendo:

http://g.photos.cx/15owfp2-18.gif

ok ok... :D

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/videos/27216/Best_of_E3_Awards_Wii_Considerations.html

JoshBowman
07-19-2008, 07:24 AM
LOL That was definitely Nintendo's "Flip-over-for-massive-damage" embarrassing moment of their presser

sfox8
07-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Well deserved win on their part.

ThomasMahler
07-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Most creative game in the past couple of years - well deserved.

SheepFactory
07-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Most creative game in the past couple of years - well deserved.

Indeed. Btw I found another link I was trying to show you in the other thread. Here is a music sequencer created in a LBP level. You can assign sounds to anything and adjust their pitch\pan\etc and have it trigger based on proximity and many other things. They built this live and it was supersimple.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/938583/6194341/littlebigplanet-gameplay-movie-12

Also watch this that shows the level of control you have when creating and also answers how you can build those machines question:

http://www.gamespot.com/video/938583/6194342/littlebigplanet-gameplay-movie-13

ThomasMahler
07-19-2008, 04:53 PM
That looks way more like they're going for as much complexity as would be needed to create this kind of revolution than the other clips I've seen.

If that game's out, I'm gonna buy a PS3. Man, I'm gonna buy a PS3 for a game that's a do-it-yourself jump 'n run where the main character looks like a potato-sack.

I still think they should do a front-end for PCs where the _really_ serious people could put levels and stuff together, say, with a simplified flash version of the editor stuff. Or does the title have mouse and keyboard support? Even if it has, I think using the PC as another tool to feed information into this 'game' could be great. Little Big Planet looks much more interesting than Spore to me.

Is it possible to design weapons for the characters to use? Or utilities that they need in order to solve a certain puzzle?

ragdoll
07-19-2008, 05:07 PM
so you can add your own custom soundFX and music track? this game is beyond amazing. i'm interested in how they setup movable characters like those bosses, seems like they're teaching some basic 3d rigging in an entertaining way. :D and how far can you customize sackboy? is it a lot like the quake game where you can bring in your own model?

SheepFactory
07-19-2008, 05:11 PM
No you cant bring in your own model. But you can customize the sackboy in a million different ways.

here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34174.html

ThomasMahler
07-19-2008, 05:13 PM
That's the problem. It's still really hard to really create your own geometry. I think Little Big Planet will push the boundaries of what you can do with customization in games without ever touching a single line of code or jump into the complex stuff, like learning Maya, Max, etc.

It'd be nice to see some clever ways of how to create simple geometry and define simple rigs and weights in the future. It'd be darn cool to make your own bosses, if everyone could have his own unique character, etc. Spore is kinda funny, but every character looks still very spore-ish.

SheepFactory
07-19-2008, 05:19 PM
You can make your own bosses though thats the point. The games final boss is done by a beta tester for example and it is a REALLY complex boss going by the description. We'll find out how to do those as the game closes to release this october I am sure.

It is super simple to create your own geometry. Just pick up one of the shapes and draw on the screen , extrude , boolean , etc and then paint it, slap on your custom texture you painted in photoshop to it, assign materials so it behaves correctly etc. I just dont see how simpler and more fun it can be. Obviously you cant bring in your zbrushed 9 million poly orc model that looks like it belongs in warcraft in lbp but that is not a limitation of the game. Everything in it perfectly fits the LBP universe they created.

What I am trying to say is there is nothing limiting you whatsoever to create anything you want in this game. It is a huge achievement on Media Molecule's part to give people this level of customization and creation power and still keep it non technical and super user friendly.

ThomasMahler
07-19-2008, 05:30 PM
But I can't come up with my very own character creation, right? It has to be made out of presets. I can't create a counterpart to my main character, but bigger, badder and more badass? Build up geometry in a simple way, insert some simple rig that the game understands with pre-defined motions... this would be really complex stuff.

Say, I want my end level to be set at night, over the roofs of paris, where the big boss is the Marshmellow Man with big cajones (you bet!) - I can do the levels and set the mood and everything, but I can't really define a character like that. I've seen that you can 'paint' the geometry, but how far can you push it? And how do you set the motions for how this geometry would deform and move? Any videos on that?

Now, I don't wanna diminish Media Molecules efforts, but I'm a character artist and I'd love to do some wacky characters for that game.

They're pushing the complexity of customization to a level where it's not anymore about what you can do, but about what you can't do, which in itself is a good thing, but I think a lot of people are still curious how the whole thing really works. A step - by - step tutorial or guide that'll be released before the game would be awesome. And it'd be a great free marketing thing as well (like "Man, look how easy it is to come up with this and that - I gotta have this game!". :)

SheepFactory
07-19-2008, 05:37 PM
You can build any character you want. Once again think in terms of how the game works. Every boss or character they showed other than the sackboys is basicly some sort of simple\complex machine.

So for the marshmellow man you can have a shape that defines the unmoving parts which would be the torso. You can than have the two arms and have them maybe spin around or swing back and forth using a interval motor joint. you can also set those arms on fire so if it touches sackboys it burns them. You can then go create the legs in a similar fashion that can make him move backwards\forwards or just have him stand in place.

But why do all that by yourself when ALL FOUR OF US can be building him at the SAME TIME! :D

Let that sink in for a sec because that is why this game rocks and that is why there was never anything like this before. You could be building the body while I am building his legs while some other cgtalker is building the level around us all the while a fourth person can be texturing it and playtesting it as we build. Before you know it we will have a finished level ready to go and we can set up some rewards like if you finish this level under 5 minutes you get our marshmellow man to use in your levels. upload to the central server from there we can see how many people played it, its popularity, etc.

Can you imagine how much fun that is going to be.

ThomasMahler
07-19-2008, 05:54 PM
I can, of course :)

But still, watching this Sackboy custmization video, I can't stop thinking about how cool it'd be if we could create simple assets and use them in the game. Like, if you have the skill to build your own assets in Maya or whereever, you should be able to use them. Even if things don't match up perfectly, that's not a problem. It's more about the potential here.

Say, I want to build a Star Wars Jump 'n Run where you play Vader on his quest to kill Chewbacca, who kidnapped the 'Enormous Testicled Marshmellow Man' (you bet!). I'd want to build simple vader'ish assets for my character and be able to use that in the game. Media Molecules could provide a simple tool that'd allow professional artists to use objs and textures with specs that are strictly set by the game and literally swap them with what the game uses.

So I'd have a simple .exe file that I could load up. Now I see the Sackboy Customization Editor, just like in that video. I click on the arm and a few menus pop up, like 'Set Arm Object' - and as a subtree 'Set Arm Color Texture', etc., you get the idea. So I build my Vader Set in Maya with textures and everything. Then I'd have the guy in my editor. The rig should be set without any smooth skinning and stuff, just like in the old days. Nobody would really care. So I could just swap the arm geometry of Sackboy with my own arm geometry and the underlying joint would assign 1.0 weights to the arm model. That wouldn't look great, but just the idea that you could really create everything by yourself would be amazing. If you then could upload the set by pushing a button to the Sony Marketplace, where other users can download it, customize it, do their own stuff with it... endless possibilities.

It's already so customizable, I think it'd be awesome if professional artists could utilize their knowledge to plus the game even further. Of course, you'd need a way to keep the bad shit out of the game, cause the system would be flooded with milkshape and cheap Paintshop Pro crap really quickly. Anyway, I'm just rambling here. I'd want to create whatever I have in mind and not be limited at all - that way, Little Big Planet could live on forever.

SheepFactory
07-19-2008, 06:04 PM
You can already put objects on your character. I have seen them stick objects from the menu directly onto sackboys (and the objects dynamics are still intact) so you can model a vader mask and by model I mean just do the cutout shape and put a vader picture on it that you drew or took a picture of. and there you go, you have a vader mask for the sackboy. You can than put this in the floor at the beginning of the level with a sign next to it that says "wear this to join the dark side!" and there you go. It is also much for fun for the player this way.

You wont ever get to model levels in maya and bring it into the game. That is not what this game is about and it is needlessly complicated. This way they are catering to everyone not just the hardcore artists. Even the creators of the game create all their levels with the tools available in the game so you are not limited in any way. We can go back and forth like this all day. I guess you will have to wait and see when the game is out.

ThomasMahler
07-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Of course, and I get your reasoning. But I think it'd still be interesting to give the hardcore artists some simple tools that could be used to create this stuff. Maybe the team already has created super simple tools for themselves, so they can load in the assets that were built in a 3d app in a really, really simple fashion, if so, release them. On CGTalk alone, I'm sure this would explode pretty quickly and we'd see the funniest stuff being done for the game in no time.

It's not about changing the focus of who's gonna play the game, it's just about also catering the hardcore artists. If they want to create something nifty, it'd be cool if there'd be a possibility. A really simple editor that'd allow us to dress up our character and upload the assets would already be a kickass thing.

SheepFactory
07-19-2008, 06:19 PM
There are already more than enough tools for the hardcore artists to express themselves any way they want in LBP.

This is the stuff people painted in forza 2. They did these using only a square shaped stamp tool and layers. Imagine what they will create in LBP.

Once again these paintings are done using the CONTROLLER and stamping down square shapes. See more here:

http://disneyhighperformance.blogspot.com/

Brettzies
07-19-2008, 08:35 PM
It's already so customizable, I think it'd be awesome if professional artists could utilize their knowledge to plus the game even further. Of course, you'd need a way to keep the bad shit out of the game, cause the system would be flooded with milkshape and cheap Paintshop Pro crap really quickly. Anyway, I'm just rambling here. I'd want to create whatever I have in mind and not be limited at all - that way, Little Big Planet could live on forever.
I understand what you're saying. There is a huge amount of customization, but it's still not quite creation. While you can put a mask from Killzone on the sackboy or a pirate hat, you couldn't say import a Stormtrooper helmet you modeled to sackboy spec, or a WWII bomber jacket or entire pilot getup, or anything else that doesn't already exist in the game.

I am not knocking the game, but they are touting as "you can do anything you want." You can do anything you want with what the designers give you. But even with level creation, you're still using what they provide.

Even the creators of the game create all their levels with the tools available in the game so you are not limited in any way.That may be true, but if they need a certain asset to be in the game, they just code or import it in. It's a good system for sure, but that's the ability that most hardcore modders/artist would want. For instance, the green army men. What if you want to make them look like starbucks baristas with the apron and all, make a coffee themed level. You could do it of course, but I'm sure you'd run into limitations - and that's what artists hate.

I know it's just a game, but for me, that's what sets apart true creativity from just altering what's been given or working within the parameters of the game - if they are going to say things like that. For most people that's going to be fine, but there will always be people who want to add their "own" stuff beyond the level's assests.

SheepFactory
07-19-2008, 08:41 PM
I understand what you're saying. There is a huge amount of customization, but it's still not quite creation. While you can put a mask from Killzone on the sackboy or a pirate hat, you couldn't say import a Stormtrooper helmet you modeled to sackboy spec, or a WWII bomber jacket or entire pilot getup, or anything else that doesn't already exist in the game.

I am not knocking the game, but they are touting as "you can do anything you want." You can do anything you want with what the designers give you. But even with level creation, you're still using what they provide.

That may be true, but if they need a certain asset to be in the game, they just code or import it in. It's a good system for sure, but that's the ability that most hardcore modders/artist would want. For instance, the green army men. What if you want to make them look like starbucks baristas with the apron and all, make a coffee themed level. You could do it of course, but I'm sure you'd run into limitations - and that's what artists hate.

I know it's just a game, but for me, that's what sets apart true creativity from just altering what's been given or working within the parameters of the game - if they are going to say things like that. For most people that's going to be fine, but there will always be people who want to add their "own" stuff beyond the level's assests.

Man did you just ignore every video I posted and everything I typed.

YOU CAN CREATE STUFF FROM SCRATCH. You can model that stormtrooper helmet with the tools in the game, assign your stormtrooper helmey texture you painted to it. No you do NOT need to bring in maya models in for anything. Everything behaves like they should. You assign a metal material to that helmet and that helmet will behave like metal in the world.

The game is NOT just modifying whats given to you. Please go watch some of the creation videos. The whole game is about adding your "own" stuff beyond the levels assets.

Brettzies
07-19-2008, 08:53 PM

YOU CAN CREATE STUFF FROM SCRATCH. You can model that stormtrooper helmet with the tools in the game, assign your stormtrooper helmey texture you painted to it. No you do NOT need to bring in maya models in for anything. Everything behaves like they should. You assign a metal material to that helmet and that helmet will behave like metal in the world.

The game is NOT just modifying whats given to you. Please go watch some of the creation videos. The whole game is about adding your "own" stuff beyond the levels assets.

Ok. Calm down buddy. I watched the customization sack boy one and have seen several videos on level creation over the past few months. I'll go back and look through everything you posted to see what you're talking about. If you can do that, way cool. If not, I'm holding you responsible for false advertising. ; )

SheepFactory
07-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Here is an illustration:

http://ali.cgcommunity.com/Sketch/lbpcreate.jpg

ragdoll
07-19-2008, 09:09 PM
OMG! IT'S A CROCADIDLE!!! :surprised

SheepFactory
07-19-2008, 09:18 PM
55 seconds in this video you can see the above crocodile in action.

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/856680/media-molecule-ps3-game-/videos/little_big_planet_noaudio.html

Brettzies
07-19-2008, 09:33 PM
So, I didn't ignore every post you wrote, but just to be sure I went back and read through them again. In this thread, there isn't anything to lead me to believe you can model a jacket with lined white fuzzy cloth like a ww2 bomber one(even faking with texture) or helmet or whatever for your sackboy, even with the videos. Maybe you posted it somewhere else.

To be honest, even though I appreciate your zeal for the game and also think it looks great, I can't just take your word for it, so don't assume I'm ignoring your words. I read the marshmellow one before my first post and that didn't make me a believer either. I believe you could do something with the level tools that resembles a marshmellow man, but probably not what I'm invisioning.

I will say though, the designer had a quote on the g4 coverage I saw(i've been tivo-ing them all week). Something to the extent of "most people don't believe it till they actually do it." I could be confusing it with another game, but I'm pretty sure it was this one.

I know you can do things like the illustration you just posted for levels and such. That's not quite what I'm talking about. It still looks like working within the parameters of the game to me. What if you don't want it to look like a cut-out alligator but have a nice dragon head you made and can chop up for a top and bottom jaw?

I'm not saying the game is bad at all, quite the opposite. I think it looks awesome. I'm just more along the lines of what ThomasM was getting at. You can't really bring in your custom made stuff so you'll always be limited to what the game's tools and assests are to create stuff that will look like it was created within the game and not have that "unique" feel to it. If that's not right, I can't find what you're talking about.

Shrink
07-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Game looks brilliant. I'm going to wait at least a year before buying though, because I don't have too much interest in creating (haven't the time to do anything decent); after a year there will undoubtedly be some amazing and creative levels to download. I'm particularly looking forward to ones which really subvert the platforming base - making the entire playable area the back of a living creature, making a rudimentary RPG, puzzle-adventure, horror, etc etc. There will be some wonderfully creative things.
(Though I am keen to play the developer-created boxed levels as well)

SheepFactory
07-19-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm not saying the game is bad at all, quite the opposite. I think it looks awesome. I'm just more along the lines of what ThomasM was getting at. You can't really bring in your custom made stuff so you'll always be limited to what the game's tools and assests are to create stuff that will look like it was created within the game and not have that "unique" feel to it. If that's not right, I can't find what you're talking about.

Everything you see in the game is created with the games tools so I don't know what exactly you mean with not having a "unique look" It is totally up to you as an artist to create something unique, the games tools do not limit you in any way.

If by being limited you mean the game doesnt let you bring in your dragon head mesh you skinned and textured in maya. Then yea, LBP is very limiting. But it is not meant to cater to the hardcore artist who wants to paint the sistine chapel using LBP. It is not in the market to replace Houdini. It is a game. As far as games goes it is the one that gives you most creative options to create what you want.

Maybe if you stop thinking "why doesnt the game let me bring in my 3d assets, oh how limiting!" and start thinking "How can I create what I have in mind using the tools in the game" you will see what I am trying to say with "there is nothing limiting your creativity in the game".

In any case I am done with this argument since we are repeating the same things. I am sure they will release more videos soon as they are two months away from release and we'll find out more about the create side of things.

ThomasMahler
07-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah, the clothing and stuff was definitely done in a 3d package, but anyway, the illustration Sheep posted is really cool. Maybe they do want to limit the gamers like that, so that we all keep it to a certain style and the game won't explode in crazy mash-up of low level custom art. Maybe we'll see a model editor after all, maybe they'll co-operate with some game studios, to create crazy mash-ups.

In any case, I think this game is going to be freaking amazing. I don't know why, but this whole Media Molecule stuff and Little Big Planet always reminds me of Hendrix and Purple Haze. I can't wait to see the crazy shit that'll happen only days after the game is in peoples hands. We'll see completely new ideas being realized by those that have great ideas, but haven't had the skill or opportunity to learn how to create something in this medium, we'll see remakes and recreations, we'll see some hilarious, really incredibly hilarious stuff that we've never before seen in a game - the funny thing is that while it doesn't look like it (don't get me wrong, I love this games style), this is probably the first game that uses this generations tech to its fullest degree. This is not casual gaming, it's a creative branch that videogames haven't really served so far, even though I'm sure tons of people have been waiting for something like that. This could very well become the most important title of this generation of consoles, so I really hope it'll keep its promise.

Boone
07-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Well, there was little else on show this year. At the moment LBP seems more of a gimmick or novelty rather than a proper game - something you would be more likely to find on the Wii than the PS3. But in good tradition I shall reserve judgement until I have had a go on it...

...because its only when I have tried a game will you all know if its good or not. :D

Brettzies
07-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Everything you see in the game is created with the games tools so I don't know what exactly you mean with not having a "unique look" It is totally up to you as an artist to create something unique, the games tools do not limit you in any way.The background elements, bgs, skies, props, sackboys, texture maps, everything? These are the kind of statements that make me question the limitations of the game. What's wrong with that? I just want to know what can be done and what can't. According to that, anything! I can make my sack boy look like he's wearing an M&M peanut character costume. Which I think would be really cool, btw. I just like to know this stuff and gauge how much the user content is going to have the same overall "look" to it, even if the level is different.

If by being limited you mean the game doesnt let you bring in your dragon head mesh you skinned and textured in maya. Then yea, LBP is very limiting. But it is not meant to cater to the hardcore artist who wants to paint the sistine chapel using LBP. It is not in the market to replace Houdini. It is a game. As far as games goes it is the one that gives you most creative options to create what you want.

Maybe if you stop thinking "why doesnt the game let me bring in my 3d assets, oh how limiting!" and start thinking "How can I create what I have in mind using the tools in the game" you will see what I am trying to say with "there is nothing limiting your creativity in the game". I get that. But this is cgtalk, not some game forum. Many of us understand how assests get into game and the difference between level editors(not matter how liberating) and things that need to be made outside of the editor. I just want to know if it's possible, you give me the impression(before) it is, but the vids do not. You even said it could be done: YOU CAN CREATE STUFF FROM SCRATCH. You can model that stormtrooper helmet with the tools in the game, assign your stormtrooper helmey texture you painted to it.

In any case I am done with this argument since we are repeating the same things. I am sure they will release more videos soon as they are two months away from release and we'll find out more about the create side of things.Are you taking this kind of personal? I don't mean it to be. Just the fact that you see this as an argument is kind of telling though. "I'm done with it," gives me the impression you only care about what you think and if people don't agree with you they are somehow wrong or arguing. I never said "oh how limiting the game sucks! The sky is falling why oh why?" I just would think it's cool to be able to add to your sackboy with things you can make or import props for levels or whatever and what are the limitations involved. "You can do anything you want or create anything you can think of," makes me think why not?

I guess, even though I think the game looks amazing and I expect good user generated work, I'm seeing it as a level editor designed for ease of use by the audience. There's nothing wrong with that.

SheepFactory
07-19-2008, 11:50 PM
No I am done with it implies that I have nothing further to illustrate my point. I have seen things demoed in live videos that illustrate what I am trying to say but they are not available as videos anywhere. So we will have to wait for more media to be released before this discussion goes anywhere.

Also you cannot create\modify the backdrop afaik. you pick from one of the preset ones.

SheepFactory
07-19-2008, 11:59 PM
From totalplaystation:

One of the titles that we had the opportunity to see at E3 was MediaMolecule's LittleBigPlanet. First making an appearance at GDC '07, the game is almost here -- it'll roll out this October. Thankfully, instead of throwing lavish parties filled with booth babes and coke, MediaMolecule has been hard at work on the game ever since we first caught a glimpse last year.

One of the newer additions is the ability to turn objects into "meanies" by attaching a special "brain" item to them. This will turn them into bloodthirsty foes, but fear not: if you can manage to hit the brain, the meanie will fall apart and you'll be clear to progress through the level. If you've ever played a Mario game (and who hasn't?), you're already trained for the job. You could always just ignore such an obstacle entirely and try to avoid it, but that's not very satisfying, is it?

MediaMolecule wants LittleBigPlanet to be played by the "broadest possible audience". Narration by Stephen Fry guides players along when they first start out, and a limited set of items are unlocked in the beginning, allowing for a smooth introduction to each feature so as to not overwhelm anyone. Players will also have the ability to play, create, and share, to varying extents which will help make the game appealing to more people. Because of this, levels can be completed in a different fashion based on the players preferred style. For those who want to play, any particular level would be presented in its full glory. However, if someone is more inclined to create, they can go through a smaller portion of the level to complete it, helping to unlock new materials and items faster. It's easy to see what play style someone chooses, too, because three colored orbs on a players profile indicate to what extent they play, create, and share. Tons of statistics are actually tracked behind the scenes such as amount of times the player jumps or how long they've played the game.

Even after being told this, we were surprised to find out that when a screenshot is taken by the player, every player in the level is automatically tracked and tagged. This allows for a seamless transition between viewing a screenshot and viewing a player's profile, jumping into a specific level or finding out more about a certain item. Such data tracking is also useful for handling abuse reports, which are detailed later in the article.

As Alex played the game, he told us that during development one of the important lessons they learned was to artificially limit the complexity of certain aspects of the game. Initially, LittleBigPlanet had infinite depth of field, but this proved confusing and cumbersome. To solve this, the depth of levels was limited to 3 layers: a background, a middle, and a foreground. One of the levels that served to demonstrate this featured a set of sleighs powered by the rocket item. Each sleigh was on its own track, allowing for a sort of makeshift sledding race along curvy paths made of ice. The end of the track was signaled by a satisfying crash into a wall, with the physics engine handling the resulting chaos without a hitch. This race was more of a fun demonstration than anything else, but proper races can be organized by placing specific start and end points throughout a level.

We were also shown the reporting feature, to be used when abusive players are encountered. A window titled "Good Grief" pops up, which takes a screenshot of the current environment, and it asks the player to highlight the specific offense and categorize it as pornographic, copyrighted, etc. During this, Alex joked that MediaMolecule's creative director Mark would be "leading the charge" of creating offensive content. Speaking of in-house content creation, we were shown a level created by a beta tester that featured an arrangement of blocks in the background, each assigned a specific sound. In the foreground was a vehicle that drove across the level, activating these blocks to play a song in some sort of Rube Goldberg-esque beat machine. We were told that although each object has default settings (making the game easy to pick up and play for a majority of players), several configuration settings can be tweaked allowing the hardcore to make some ridiculous stuff. For example, sounds can be activated when an object is destroyed, stepped on, passed by the player, etc. As sackboy reached the end of the track, a picture of the creator's face (likely taken with the PlayStation Eye) was prominently displayed on screen, ushering in laughs from everyone in the room.

It's worth noting that everything we see in LittleBigPlanet can be created with the tools in the game. The demonstration at Sony's press conference this year was created in less than a day. The team admitted to cheating to get text to display, but decided it was a useful tool, and will be adding this functionality in to the final build. Granted, most people won't be able to create amazing levels on day 1 -- which is why the d-pad acts as a VCR, allowing you to pause the level and rewind when things go wrong. Once your masterpiece is completed, be it a level or an object within, you can publish it for the world to see, rank, comment on, etc. The current fascination at the MediaMolecule office, we were told, is vehicle creation -- more specifically, tanks, which grow more ambitious as time goes on. When an object is created by a player, such as a vehicle, it can be added to a level as a reward, shared with a friend so that they can use it and/or modify it, etc. Objects can be free to all or "copyrighted" which prevents it from being shared, requiring that players must earn it themselves through successful completion of a level, etc.

If you're wondering about trophy integration, don't worry. We saw several trophy notifications pop up during the demo. One of them is awarded after 1 or 5 levels are published (Alex was unsure as to which). Speaking of published levels, surely there will be tens of thousands mere days after launch. How is one to sort through them all? You can, if you want to, but LBP makes things easier for you if you're not a masochist. Search results are prioritized by what types of levels you play, which objects you add to your favorites, etc. There's a lot going on behind the scenes to make sure LBP is tailored to your tastes.

The game will be out shortly, and this is likely the last time we'll see it before then. We'll bring you a full review as soon as we get our hands on the thing.

ThomasMahler
07-20-2008, 12:24 AM
Hmm, this is interesting, maybe they'll ship the game with even more stuff than they've shown so far or maybe I've just missed that. I also thought that the game is more of a gimmick at first, but it's really not. I'd hate to see people dismiss this game as a gimmick and I give huge Kudos to Sony for believing in a project like this and supporting it. This is normally the kinda project done by idiot college students that's actually pretty doggone good, but being dismissed, cause it's weird and quirky and new and 'can't be serious'.

Still, with my pot of experience, I'd say there'll be quite a bit of stuff that we can't change that people will crave for. But I'm sure that can be done with a patch or an update. LBP is more of an engine for users, so it'd be stupid not to listen to the customers once it's out there.

SheepFactory
07-20-2008, 12:27 AM
LBP has a single\2-3-4 player campaign mode with a storyline that has 16-18hrs of gameplay in it without even touching the custom level creation stuff. I dont think people realize that because they have been predominantly showing the creation side of things.

ThomasMahler
07-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Or maybe people think that the creation process will just be infinitely more fun. Big Testicle Marshmellow Man. Bring it on.

sfox8
07-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks for posting that article SheepFactory. Very interesting read and you can already tell that LBP will have so much depth to it. I can't even BEGIN to imagine all the things that MediaMolecule could add in AFTER its release through patches and updates.

I honestly see LBP becoming something much more than a game if it really takes off (which i'm sure it will). This seems like the kind of game that caters to both the casual market and the hardcore at the same time and does it flawlessly. This'll be a big hit for PS3.

ThomasMahler
07-20-2008, 10:33 AM
The nice thing about this is that it really puts gamers into a unique, new position. You know, I felt like I have evil genius powers when I first saw and understood Mayas way of dealing with connections and stuff like Set Driven Keys. Building machines like that in a virtual environment! Awesome!

It's great that people get to learn this stuff through a game now. The link Sheep posted.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/938583/6194342/littlebigplanet-gameplay-movie-13

...shows that there's really a lot of complex stuff possible and people get introduced to that now through a game, which makes them learn when they don't even notice it - through a head fake.

This is all great stuff. I'd love to get my hands on it asap.

Thinking about it, man, I hope they still add the feature to give weapons to your character. Remember playing the old Metal Slug or Contra titles? It'd be so cool if you could create your own weapons. Design the thing itself, then add an 'emitter' and 'particles' that it'll pop out and their attributes, like how fast they travel, the way they'll be emitted, etc.

You could do so much with that sorta stuff. 4 player metal-slug'ish gameplay in LBP, HELL YEAH!

SheepFactory
07-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Another Hands on by Ripten:

One of the most popular games among the Ripten E3 crew (check out our last day of E3 podcast) has to be Sonyís LittleBigPlanet.
Honestly, when I first heard of the game I wasnít too interested. In fact, I wasnít even going to play it at E3, but Chad told me to. Thanks Chad, because it easily became one of my favorite games of E3.
Developed by Media Molecule, LittleBigPlanet is a side-scrolling action game that focuses heavily on player-enabled customization. From creating your own character to customizing your own level, almost everything in the game can be user-created, leading to an unlimited amount of possibilities.
As soon as I got my hands on the game, I was impressed and having fun with it. The controls were easy to learn and only used a few buttons to interact.

I played with two other people, first trying out a mini-game that had a series of platforms coming from the bottom to the top. The objective was to keep dropping down from one platform to the other before getting smothered with toxic gas at the top of the screen. Iím guessing there will be tons of mini-games just like the one I played, making LBP a fun party game.
We then went on to play an actual level, which relied heavily on co-op play with different puzzles and strategies. There were all sorts of obstacles on the stage we played, like rolling logs on fire and swinging sponge-looking thingies that we had to grab onto to swing over to the next area.
Although the game relies on co-op gameplay and brainstorming with each other, itís also a race to the finish, complete with points and grabbing items and goodies.

As youíre progressing through a level, each character will be awarded points by collecting these bubble-looking things and at the end of the level youíll be placed in order of who finished the fasted, just for bragging rights. Oh, and youíll want to be the quickest to grab all the customizable items like stickers and equipment for you characters.
Oh, and LBP is finally a game that really uses the Sixaxis controller! When youíre playing the game, you can move the Sixaxis to shake, bobble, and make your character dance around. Even better is the ability to control your characterís arms with the L2 and R2 buttons, smacking around the other players for purely no reason. Funny shit.

Each player was able to customize their character mid-game, everything from changing outfits to face paint. You could also change the landscape of the level mid-game, like adding stickers to the wall. Again, the game is all about user-created content.
My favorite aspect of LBP has to be online and sharing experience. Not only can you hop online through the Playstation Network to play with three friends, you can also upload and share all your created levels to the LBP community. Once youíre online, you can check out all your friendsí created levels, play on them, and even edit their levels to your liking and make it your own.

Overall, LittleBigPlanet looks wonderful and the gameplay is incredibly fun. I played for about 15-20 minutes and I just fell in love. For a game that I had no intention on playing, I was blown away.
Be prepared for tons of fun and laughter when LittleBigPlanet comes out for the PS3 this October.

Kage06
07-21-2008, 01:49 AM
LBP for me, and I have looked up a lot about it, is just going to be one of those games that'll be around for years, gaining many updates in its life cycle.
It'll be the Sims of the PS3 world, you watch.

ThomasMahler
07-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Oh, just look at this amazing new trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37356.html

Someone's having fun with their own game!

Grim Beefer
07-24-2008, 09:39 PM
It'll be interesting to see how this game will compare to Spore. I suppose the strength of this game is that it's 2.5d, as opposed to the processing overhead necessary for a fully 3d game. It certainly looks colorful.

I wonder how editable the motion of each character actually is, or if you can script different behaviors to them? If that's the case, it'll only be a matter of time before we'll see full recreations of classic platformers.

I remember other games similar to this one, like the Doreamon or RPG Maker series, but it would appear that Media Molecule has learned the lesson these folks didn't, which is to offer a great, polished game - even if you don't create anything.

This is probably about as close to modding as a console game will get for a while, and it's shaping up to be a great game. I wonder how long it will be out before someone releases a PC imitator? Garry's mod is fun, but doesn't quite have the charm or 2d appeal.

Personally, I think this game might hit a little too close to home for me, though. I can't imagine spending a lot of time creating in this game after a hard day of Max, but I'm not the average person.

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2008, 09:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.