PDA

View Full Version : Top Execs Criticize Current State Of E3

DuttyFoot
07-18-2008, 04:22 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19482

richcz3
07-18-2008, 05:04 PM
video game retail sales soared 53 percent in June (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25727803/) - You wouldn't guess the game industry was this hot based on E3's coverage.

Like the article says, many key publishers railed against the growing expense of E3 at its height. There is something to be said about the mass of public PR generated in previous outings. The last two E3's have been real weak - but then again; half the publishers not attending and invite only journalists does not a buzz create.

RobertoOrtiz
07-18-2008, 06:04 PM
is something to be said about the mass of public PR generated in previous outings. The last two E3's have been real weak - but then again; half the publishers not attending and invite only journalists does not a buzz create.

The organizers of the conference, in their eternal arrogance, let the success of the past BLIND them on who really created the buzz for the conference.

I have a saying...
If you put a high fence around your party , don't be surprised if no one shows up.

DuttyFoot
07-18-2008, 06:26 PM
my favorite conference out the of the 3 console makers was microsofts. i use to play console games, my last console was a xbox which i gave to my little bro and sis. i had all the consoles from snes to ps one which i eventually gave away to my cousins. i was planning on getting a new console, but decided to wait on e3 to decide. based on microsofts show i was sold on the 360. i was hoping for something more from sony and nintendo. i felt very let down by there showing. i love what ubisoft, and the other companies had to show.

you are right in your comment rich, that based on e3 you would think that the game industry isn't doing that well.

inguatu
07-18-2008, 11:41 PM
funny.. I thought it was the same execs that killed the hype of E3 3 years ago when they said it would be closed to the public.. no large grandstanding and more importantly, no booth babes. Oh yeah.. and that little thing about them not feeling they need to demo and announce things at E3.

Poor liddle execs. Poor poor rich guys.

heavyness
07-19-2008, 05:52 AM
3 people are at fault at the decline of E3... the studios, the press, and the gamers.

#1 - studios used to bend their development time so they could get a demo ready for E3... which also effected the final ship date and final product. this of course, was bad for the final game. studios wasted time on making an E3 demo and wasted money on floor space, traveling, time, and promotions. but of course, they didn't want to miss E3 because the press [see #2]...

#2 - the press treats E3 like it's the second coming of god and makes snap judgments on games based on 10 minutes of gameplay from a beta build [and they judge the game on what free swag they get, and how big and cool looking the booth is, and if there are any booth babes at the booth]. they then report what they want and we, the gamers [see #3], eat up everything they feed us and believe it.

#3 - the gamers sit back and judge what is going to be a good game by a crappy 320x240 shacking cam youtube video of a game that some blogger is recording. we then get on the forums with our fanboy egos in place and start defending what we like and attacking what we don't like. we make decisions on games we haven't played yet and are months from seeing them on the retail shelves. we write off games because we read on a blog that the "demo crashed" and file it away under "do not play"...although it's a beta build of the game that was rushed to make it to E3 [see #1].

basically, the entire gaming indusrty [gamers, studios, developers, publishers, trade shows, and the games themselve] need to mature and act their age. we have over taken movies, cd, and dvd sales, but yet, we can't get a game online without someone calling you a racial name. or a game with a serious plot. or represent a women in a realistic way. or rely on guns and killing to see a million copies.

until we all grow up a bit, nothing will change.

R10k
07-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Great post! :thumbsup:

richcz3
07-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Rick - I think that's a tad bit jaded dontcha think :D.
All industries have trade shows and all have their press following stars of their respective biz. The cost is the price of competing. Customers/End users/Buying public wade through all the hype/fuss/furor and make sense of the info for themselves. An acid test is when the press can actually gage (by virtue of crowd assembling/reactions) what really triggers interest. Games are an entertainment medium. The buzz starts there - gains momentum and In the end, they vote with their wallets.

E3's failure is as much about poor decisions as it is about politics. The ESA has done a terrible job in representing publishers and developers and many walked. You can bet that the public buzz of years past will somehow be revisited - just not the public hoards 100k strong.

FloydBishop
07-19-2008, 10:29 PM
I've been working in games for years, and I think Rick really nailed it. It's hard for a smaller game to compete in the E3 juggernaught. Studios have limited budgets, and often the "sure fire hits" (no such thing, by the way) are the ones that get the bigger booth, more swag, or get bumped up to the keynote. Smaller games, while better, may not even get an E3 showing.

That's where the internet helps a great deal. I don't think I've ever seen a trailer for Portal, but it's been talked about so much, it helped bring people to it that wouldn't have otherwise known about it. Bundling it with Team Fortress 2 in the Orange Box didn't hurt, either.

If you want a less biased view of what E3 has to offer, you often have to look to smaller media sources.

Artbot
07-20-2008, 05:56 AM
3 people are at fault at the decline of E3... the studios, the press, and the gamers...................

Amen! I'm soooo glad we didn't have to do a schedule-disrupting dog & pony show for E3 this year. I hope we never have to again.

richcz3
07-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Floyd, Portal started (http://videoonlinegames.suite101.com/article.cfm/studentdesigned_puzzler_portal_breaks_ground) as a student project - the team which Valve then aquired. What they as well as other mod/indy developers had going for them was that they used an accessible commercial game engine to build from. Battlefiled 1942 (http://www.desertcombat.com/), UT2K4 (http://www.redorchestragame.com/), and of course HalfLife 2 engine. Although PC games titles are weathering allot of flak, they still are the only platform where indpendant developers and users have access to SDks to modify or completely recreate a title. Valve is a company that really understands this difference while others have jumped ship.

Valve's Steam (for better or worse) and Steamworks (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51016) gives independant game developers great opportunities they would never see on the retail aisles. The Game Audio Surf (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/05/audiosurf-becomes-steams-top-seller-for-february/) as an example of Steam distribution.

As for conventions like E3, from an employees standpoint I can see the pain.
From the corporate profits standpoint they are essential and thats why the heads of these companies want some form of return. They need Retailers to see and get the buzz as in shows past. For the most part gaming is largely still Retail sales based.

I clearly remember the Buzz Gears of War impressed at its E3 debut - it lasted for weeks in web forums. Where is the Buzz on Gears of War 2? Or anything else presented at the show??? When only select press gets the call, its simply not the same. Publishers and Retailers are very aware of this, You can bet there will be some form of return.

heavyness
07-21-2008, 03:10 AM
I clearly remember the Buzz Gears of War impressed at its E3 debut - it lasted for weeks in web forums. Where is the Buzz on Gears of War 2? Or anything else presented at the show??? When only select press gets the call, its simply not the same. Publishers and Retailers are very aware of this, You can bet there will be some form of return.

and if it does return to the older E3, they will still have the same pains.

i love E3. it is christmas for me. i love being assaulted with new games, new surprises, and sneak peaks and whats to come. but i also know it's not a good system. i wonder if a 'virtual E3' would work. a week where all the studios release demos and or new trailers for the web to see. press can still filter everything out and report. companies like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo can still have press conferences [from their company headquarters]. maybe Gamestops/Best Buys could have small showings of games, pass out demo discs. this way, no one has to fly any where, the press is then countered since everyone can play what they can, and studios can either just show video of their game or get a demo out.

i don't know... something. or we can have E3 at my house next year... i'll order some pizza, it will be great.

sidenote: how do other entertainment industries handle their expos [do they have any?]. i know there are expos for theater equipment, cameras, and other movie stuff. but are there expos where the stars of upcoming movies are held in glass tubes for everyone to look at and take pictures with? and the booth babes from ILM try to win over director's with backrubs?

richcz3
07-22-2008, 01:56 AM
I think all of us can tell the current scheme is flawed. There must be a middle ground.

Executives take on E3 2008

"I used to bring major investors to E3 to get them excited about our industry, which worked every time. Now it's just an embarrassment".
"The concept is broken, it's expensive, messages are diluted, consumers are ignored (remembering that the future of this industry is direct connections with consumers not retailers), the ticket policies are stupid, and if the entire industry worldwide doesn't participate, it's not real anyway."
David Perry founder of Shiny Entertainment
NewsLink (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/perry-e3-is-an-embarrassment)

"I hate E3 like this, Either we need to go back to the old E3, or we'll have to have our own private events." EA boss John Riccitiello

"The world used to come to E3. Now it's like a pipe-fitters show in the basement."
Laurent Detoc, president of Ubisoft North America
NewsLink (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/18/BUR811R133.DTL&feed=rss.technology)

E3 is no longer an event where the company will be showing off games aimed at the core gaming audience.
Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto

On Cost Conscience Concerns
(Sega) doesn't want to go back to the days when he would spend $5 million on E3. But he said there should be some more flash to bring back retailers, who have abandoned the show. Sega of America's president, Simon Jeffery

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2008, 01:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.