PDA

View Full Version : parenting rigid bodies to a skeleton problem

kotchin
07-18-2008, 12:40 PM
hi, this is my first post here as cgsociety

i've made a dynamically moving tie for a character to be animated. i have used a string of rigid bodies joined together with pin constraints to deform a wire deformer which in turn deforms the tie geometry. a copy of the character's torso acts as a passive rigid body for the tie rigid bodies to collide with.

technically this works fine but the movement isn't that realistic. i have tried playing with the damping etc but can't get it quite right. here's a playblast of what i've got so far:

tie_playblast.mp4 (http://seasonfive.co.uk/stuff/tie_playblast.mp4)

does anyone have any ideas of how to improve this, or any other possible setups for this situation?

any help would be great

thanks
tom

Aikiman
07-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey Kotchin welcome to CGSoc :)

thats a pretty wild setup you got there, nice work! Im guessing you do not have nCloth? If you do I would use that instead if you dont you could try instead using ik handle and converting it to a softbody with goal. Im not a character animator so just an idea.

kotchin
07-18-2008, 09:05 PM
hi Aikiman, thanks for your input

yeh i do have nCloth but it seems to me that it only really works well with flat, cloth-like surfaces. this tie is a 3d poly object. seeing as i would like the tie to have some thickness nCloth is not applicable. unless of course i've got the wrong end of the stick - if i have please let me know.

i've tried the 'create cloth object' method but it takes aaaaaages to calculate. i'm getting a trial version of syflex to see if that will do the job.

would it be possible for you to explain your IK method in a bit more detail if i'm right about Cloth.

thanks
tom

Aikiman
07-19-2008, 11:47 AM
well, you can try and start off with a 2d poly plane nCloth, cache the simulation then use extrude later to make your tie, in most cases you wont be able to notice any difference but at least then the sim will run faster and nCloth should be more realsitic than what you have there. Though what you have done already is pretty nifty imo.

The other method is to use a IK spline handle and convert the curve to a softbody, then apply springs and goal weights but I think nCloth would be a far superior option here.

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2008, 11:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.