PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel of a 3D Generalist

TerianSilva
07-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi CGTalkers!

News: New Revision - Shorter, other Music and one new scene.

EDIT: Thanks for your feedback. This is my new version based on your comments.

I need it to get an internship but would you accept it for regular job applications?

Alright, here is the reel (~ 45 Megabyte):

VIEW IN BROWSER (Quicktime):
MIRROR #1 (http://www.portamedia.com/Stuff/Reel3_revision2_preview_rendering_ldr.mov)
MIRROR #2 (http://home.arcor.de/teriansilva/Reel3_revision2_preview_rendering_ldr.mov)

Thanks for watching.

cheers!
marcus

lewistaylor
07-18-2008, 04:43 AM
Hey buddy,

I'd upload a youtube version to at least give people the option
of either. As your only looking for an intern style placement, this is
a pretty good effort mate.

I've watched more than a few reels that made 3mins feel like three
hours, and yours didn't do that to me. I am very patient though :)
Really liked the happy flowers, and the texturing on your vehicles was
good as well.

The character animations need some work, but as your applying for an
intern position, I think you might be okay. You have talent that's for sure.

Lewis

TerianSilva
07-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks for your feedback. Yepp, I should be better until now but University takes much time for other assignments. Luckily, I am only looking for an internship at the moment. ;)

DevIII
07-18-2008, 11:21 AM
I agree with Lewis that downloading isn't the best idea. But I also don't like YouTube as a source for professional review. I just bought some web space to deal with it for me, but Iím sure thereís another free solution which doesnít feel like home movies and doesnít cost a lot of money.

I think it was to long you should try to cut down to something smaller.

For now start to pick out the things you like the most. Cut anything that bothers you slightly. For instance some of the character animations have dead keys in them. you should consider cutting them out.

Obviously the environmental shots and the flowers look great definitely keep them in.

TerianSilva
07-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I added a direct view link. I guess you are right. I have to improve the animations or remove them.

kandyRabitz22
07-24-2008, 04:37 AM
It is too long. Try to stick to 2-3 minutes. Also I would open with your strongest work. i dont feel that the car on the highway is your strongest work. I think it would be nice to open with the trees and the daisies animation. Keep your most finished and professional stuff and cut the rest. 5 minutes is too long.

kandyRabitz22
07-24-2008, 04:45 AM
I ammend my previous post-

I would cut-
big guy with the taxi sign on his back
goblin swinging the sword (or atleast touchup the animation)

There is a glitch in the dieing goblin also.
I would start with the trees or the globe.

The rest of your character animations could use some touching up. They are a-little stiff and could use more secondary motion.

TerianSilva
07-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Thank you very much for your reply. I am going to visit sweden tomorrow and stay there for 3 weeks. yay! There will be enough time to take your critique into account ( yes, especially the character animation needs some work. ) and work on the reel.
I am currently doing another short animation. I hope it will be ready after the holidays.

If you would have to vote the reel from 0 (best) to 10 (worst). What number would you give it? I am just curious ;).

cheers,
marcus

andrewmartin
07-25-2008, 07:31 AM
You've got some great work in there, but I agree with the others in that it's too long. Here are a few suggestions...

Drop the "Showreel" thing at the start.

I'd shorten most of your sequences, and those that are good but long (like the sketch-earth-genesis graphic matching) speed up 20-50%.

Re-order them so your strongest work is first, and drop some of the weaker ones.

As for your game-style characters, I'd pick the best single second of animation from each of the 3 or 4 best ones and stick them together. I think that shirtless guy climbing up that thing is one of the better ones so put it first.

Drop one of the planes (or the truck) and flip whatever you put second - the repetition of that camera move is annoying.

Cut the fortune teller sequence short, either as soon as the camera stops or after she throws the first card. The second card is repetitive.

I'd put the sketch-earth-genesis graphic matching sequence first, and as nice as the final "Showreel 2005" looks, that text is confusing (because it's not your 2005 showreel I assume) so I'd just stick it somewhere in the middle for 2 or 3 seconds.

Hope that helps! Good luck with the internship hunting!

Chewky
07-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Looking great!

I love the wide variety of styles.

TerianSilva
08-19-2008, 11:42 PM
NEW VERSION! - Thanks for your feedback.

I am back from holidays and created a new revision. I will add new content but for now, take a look. It is one minute shorter, i changed the order of the scenes, added one new scene, changed the music and speed and removed some stuff. editing is also kind of new. Now it can be considered finished. But anyway, tell me what you think. It is always possible to change stuff.

thanks for watching!

andrewmartin
08-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Heaps better. Great job!

I still think you could speed up/cut short a couple of things, but I might just be saying that because I've seen it all before. A first timer would probably think it's fine. I also still think the shirtless guy could be at the beginning of your game stuff.

Having said all that, I think you've improved it 100%. You've got all your strongest work in there, and you're definitely putting your best foot forward in the hunt for work.

Well done and good luck!

kandyRabitz22
08-21-2008, 04:26 AM
looking better.

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2008, 04:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.