PDA

View Full Version : Conference Schwag

RobertoOrtiz
07-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Tell us about the free stuff that we should get this year!
Where are the cool t-shirts?
And if you can provide pics even better!
-R

malducin
07-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Well, the next Pixar windup teapot is the one I'm most looking forward to. Probably going to be WALL-E inspired.

BColbourn
07-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Well, the next Pixar windup teapot is the one I'm most looking forward to. Probably going to be WALL-E inspired.

how many of them do they give out? is it a rarity?

malducin
07-17-2008, 10:17 PM
how many of them do they give out? is it a rarity?

Semi-rarity. The Pixar booth does give out aton of schwag, though usually it's posters from their latest film. At least they got organized las year. Two years ago I was almost trampled like the running of the bulls in Barcelona. They hand out 1 per person, but since they give them several times a day during the exhibition, you may end up with several. Here's a look at them:

Swag Attack: RenderMan Walking Teapots (http://www.siggraph.org/programs/archive/reports/conference/2006/articles/swag-attack-renderman-walking-teapots)
Pixar Teapots (http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamhill/201868921/)

The only one not mentioned is the 2007, the Ratatouille one (it has a chef hat on top). Maybe after SIGGRAPH I can see if anyone has some extra old ones for swapping.

ElectricSheep
07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Apart from the teapot, I'm still looking for a t-shirt that fits women. Everybody seems to give away free shirts for men that look like a tent on me. Last year's light blue Siggraph lady shirt, otoh, was awesome.

piccolabella
08-06-2008, 11:39 PM
last year google had a nice ladies tee with a teapot replacing one of the G's. had to be there early in the morning and early in the conference to get one though... from then on its large and in charge shirts.

Jim Lammers
08-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Apart from the teapot, I'm still looking for a t-shirt that fits women. Everybody seems to give away free shirts for men that look like a tent on me. Last year's light blue Siggraph lady shirt, otoh, was awesome.

We plan to give out really nice t-shirts at our booth 1437 this year (Trinity3D.COM) that are vray themed. I'll save the design as a surprise for the show. But stop by and mention you are from CGTalk to grab one! And we definitely got a lot of them in size M so that it can fit women. If it still is not small enough, a good hot wash and dry ought to shrink these cotton Tees another 20% :)

Jim

KatiePez
08-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Anyone know of any official times for the schwag giveaways? I know Pixar had certain times for the posters and teapots, and Google had specific times for their shirts.

The only giveaway times I know are from Animation Mentor and that is Tuesday and Wednesday at 1:00, they aren't saying what they are giving out, just that it's LE.

I know last year some of this info leaked early, thanks ahead of time!

-Katie

Smartypants
08-08-2008, 10:28 PM

I have this problem too. However, if you are feeling particularly creative, do a google search for "t-shirt surgery" or "re-crafting". There are tons of sites that tell you how to "mod" a t-shirt. Here's one (http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/tshirtmod) as an example. Just the tip of the iceburg.

Titus
08-09-2008, 05:47 AM
I already have a boucher for my first swag: an Iron Man Mark 1 bobble-head, courtesy of NewTek.

BColbourn
08-09-2008, 06:44 AM
I already have a boucher for my first swag: an Iron Man Mark 1 bobble-head, courtesy of NewTek.

how'd you get that?

Titus
08-09-2008, 03:29 PM
http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/thankyou.zgi?p=WEB2284G49FU2Y

jpiette
08-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Everyone better get out of my way, I AM SO GETTING THIS YEAR'S WALKING TEAPOT!!! :cool:

MrPositive
08-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Everyone better get out of my way, I AM SO GETTING THIS YEAR'S WALKING TEAPOT!!! :cool:

But aren't you the enemy, Miss Dreamworks? hahaha

Jadetiger
08-13-2008, 11:09 PM
We should post the weirdest bit of schwag we got: I got an icepack from Boxx.

agreenster
08-13-2008, 11:15 PM
A deck of Bolt playing cards!! Score!

:P

Buexe
08-14-2008, 06:44 AM
I got #662 out of a 1000 walking tepots. Maybe I`m getting old, but my excitment about this tpe of stuff is limited to 0.00001 nanoseconds. And the Renderman user group meeting was the nerdiest event I ever went to, the only thing tht was missing was some linux kernel compilation anecdotes. Oh man...
the cap and the wine was good though : )

MaxBickley
08-14-2008, 03:23 PM
I got #662 out of a 1000 walking tepots. Maybe I`m getting old, but my excitment about this tpe of stuff is limited to 0.00001 nanoseconds. And the Renderman user group meeting was the nerdiest event I ever went to, the only thing tht was missing was some linux kernel compilation anecdotes. Oh man...

I thought this years UGM was great, two awesome guests speakers and some really amazing Stupid RAT Tricks.

Jadetiger
08-14-2008, 09:30 PM

I got #25 :beer:

csc2h
08-14-2008, 10:56 PM
THQ gave out tropical flavor lip balm.

MrPositive
08-15-2008, 04:44 AM
Semi odd ones:
Rubik's Cube from Disney
Massive Bolt Playing Cards.....that will be actually difficult to play with
Aforementioned odd can cooler from Boxx
Hacky Sack from Activision.....don't these guys know we don't do physical movement?
Very good:
3 Renderman Teapots........lowest number = 40
5 Pixar posters.........Wall e.........before you huff and puff, they were encouraging people to take them on Thursday.....I think they printed 5 billion

Best Schwag winner:
Ironman bobblehead doll from Newtek Lightwave........that got smashed in flight home..... :(

BColbourn
08-15-2008, 05:45 AM
7 posters?! you greedy bastard! i paid a guy 10$ for his extra one cuz i missed it haha

Jadetiger
08-15-2008, 08:13 AM
7 posters?! you greedy bastard! i paid a guy 10$ for his extra one cuz i missed it haha

Lol, we actually found one in a trash can. Not sure how that happened, but we opened the tube and there was a perfect poster inside. Hehe. I too am guilty of getting multiple items from the Pixar booth, but I have absolutely no intention of selling that stuff online. I take my stuff home to people who didn't get a chance to go to Siggraph.... and they'll probably sell the teapots on ebay for 100 bucks. Lol.

ShadowM8
08-15-2008, 08:17 AM
I found schwag was in short supply this year although i haven't spent enought time on the show floor!

mahir
08-15-2008, 12:17 PM
In my posession:
Weirdest shwag - Sonic rocks from Midway.
Best shwag - Disney's Bolt Playing Cards (love the concept), Dreamworks' Kung Fu Panda Inflatabls (I scored 2!), Pixar's Teapot (1618 of 3500), Newtek's Iron Man bobblehead.

I really wanted a Laika's "Coraline" tshirt - and missed out on tons of other stuff - but not too bad for my 1st time around me thinks.

Smartypants
08-18-2008, 04:39 PM
I liked the wristbands that are also half-gigabyte thumb drives that SCAD (http://www.scad.edu) was giving out.

gnarlycranium
08-18-2008, 09:06 PM
My favorite this year: a pair of LED-glowy soft plastic balls from the Softimage party! They were throwing around dozens of the things in there, it was great-- but a lot of them were going dead because the battery contacts were schmutzed. A little cleaning, and they're fine.

I had too much guilt thinking of the people at the back of the line to get multiple teapots.

Titus
08-19-2008, 12:57 AM
I finally got both Pixar teapots, the regular and the other for customers.

PhilNewTek
08-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Semi odd ones:
Rubik's Cube from Disney
Massive Bolt Playing Cards.....that will be actually difficult to play with
Aforementioned odd can cooler from Boxx
Hacky Sack from Activision.....don't these guys know we don't do physical movement?
Very good:
3 Renderman Teapots........lowest number = 40
7 Pixar posters.........Wall e.........before you huff and puff, they were encouraging people to take them on Thursday.....I think they printed 5 billion

Best Schwag winner:
Ironman bobblehead doll from Newtek Lightwave........that got smashed in flight home..... :(

I tried to PM you. I am the guy at NewTek who sourced the BobbleHeads. If your's really was broken in transit, give me a shout. You never know what might happen!

PhilNewTek
08-20-2008, 09:15 PM
double post

SynapticGraphics
08-21-2008, 12:49 AM
Well that explains why I couldn't get a wall-e poster..:sad:

They may be free but come on.. there are alot of ppl there.. no need to go overboard grabbing them...

Kellios
08-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Silly question regarding the WALL*E poster - anyone know the dimensions offhand? Want to get a frame for it before i go home tonight. Thanks!

Chuck3D
08-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Yes, I'm one of the people who obsessively collects the walking teapots. The only problem is that I can never get my hands on any of the user group versions. So if anyone has a user group teapot from any of the previous years and would be willing to part with it, let me know and I'm sure we can work something out. I also have some questions about the packaging of the '03 and '04 versions so if you have them and wouldn't mind answering some questions, please let me know.

And yeah, I actually had to buy a second small piece of luggage just to take home all of the stuff I got from SIGGRAPH. :)

malducin
08-27-2008, 01:22 AM
Yes, I'm one of the people who obsessively collects the walking teapots. The only problem is that I can never get my hands on any of the user group versions. So if anyone has a user group teapot from any of the previous years and would be willing to part with it, let me know and I'm sure we can work something out. I also have some questions about the packaging of the '03 and '04 versions so if you have them and wouldn't mind answering some questions, please let me know.

Unfortunately in recent years at the Pixar user group meeting they give you the special edition teapot when you hand over your confirmation email or register on site. If I remember right the first special edition teapot was actually on the seats and since it didn't fill up completely people were able to collect a few extra ones.

What do you want to know about about the packaging? The first teapot (chrome, 2003) was actually on a cardboard box. Subsequent ones have come in the metal boxes, though their printed design varies each year.

Chuck3D
08-27-2008, 02:17 AM
Yeah, I'm finding that the general giveaway teapots are fairly easy to come by but nobody wants to part with their user group versions. I could probably solve this problem simply by going to the SIGGRAPH user group meeting. Oh well, I guess that should be food for thought next year.

I know that the '03 edition came in a cardboard box but did it (and the '04 editions) also include a numbered certificate of authenticity and if so how many were originally given away. I also wanted to know if the '03 and '04 editions came packaged with the plastic inserts in the boxes to keep them in place. The reason I ask is because a guy is offering to sell me the '03 and a couple of the '04s sitting loose in their box and tins with only the inserted info about Renderman but without the numbered certificates and plastic inserts.

Any info you can give me would be a huge help. Thanks a lot.

malducin
08-27-2008, 04:35 AM
I know that the '03 edition came in a cardboard box but did it (and the '04 editions) also include a numbered certificate of authenticity and if so how many were originally given away. I also wanted to know if the '03 and '04 editions came packaged with the plastic inserts in the boxes to keep them in place. The reason I ask is because a guy is offering to sell me the '03 and a couple of the '04s sitting loose in their box and tins with only the inserted info about Renderman but without the numbered certificates and plastic inserts.

Any info you can give me would be a huge help. Thanks a lot.

The 2003 and 2004 didn't come with plastic inserts, they were just wrapped with bubble wrap inside their boxes.

The 2003 didn't come with a certificate of authenticity and who knows how many were made (Titus knows the story best, about one guy at Pixar having them made in China).

The 2004 did come with a certificate of authenticity. I only have green and the white one of that year. Of the green, 2000 were made, white only 1000. I'm guessing blue and red were 2000 as well.

2003 and 2004 also include RenderMan info pagelet.

Now that I looked at mine I realized the glow in the dark (user group 2005) one is missing even though I didn't miss event that year. Don't know when, how or why it's missing. Maybe I lost it or got stolen. Now I'm pissed. On the other hand I have 2 extra green ones I'm willing to exchange for the red and blue ones. Maybe I shoud start a thread about that ;-)

okfir
08-27-2008, 04:40 AM
Hi,
A bit late but I just saw this post so I decided to show my humble schwag collection,
I decided that the first day (Tuesday) will be dedicated for the exhibition so I had lots of conversations, lots of brochures about great looking products that I am intersted in and of course lots and lots of giveaways. In the last day here (Friday) I went to Wall-Mart and bought a really big bag to fill all the giveaways and the stuff I bought doring my stay in the US (thanks god for low dollar rate)
:beer:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1448/img0891hk0.th.jpg (http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0891hk0.jpg)

JayG
08-27-2008, 03:23 PM
That's impressive dude! Definitely a nice haul. =)

I didn't get anything that hasn't been mentioned already, though we did get some pretty decent schwag from FJORG!

The BOLT cards have some cool concept art on them too which adds a little bit of awesome.

CGTalk Moderation
08-27-2008, 03:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.