PDA

View Full Version : custom shaped ponds

alecorre
07-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Do my ponds always have to rectangular? Surely there must be a way to have a custom shaped one. I have a swimming pool in a figure eight I want to do.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks is advance...

Allen

Aikiman
07-17-2008, 04:51 AM
Do your Ponds have to be rectangular? Yes,
Why would you use a pond anyway since it has no real shading abilities like refract and reflect? I would use an ocean shader instead, then you can apply that to your figure 8.

alecorre
07-17-2008, 05:22 AM
I just was planning on using the convert fluid to polygons so that I could control the shading properties of the water. Seams to work okay. I have never played around with the ocean yet so I cam not sure how to use it.

Aikiman
07-17-2008, 05:36 AM
Save yourself the time and trouble of converting a pond to polys and just throw the ocean shader onto a poly plane, the playback will be much faster, plus the shader is all inbuilt already. If you take a look at the shader and use Maya help you 'll find the shader a piece of p*ss to learn. Also you can add a preview plane if you want visual feedback by going into the fluids menu.

But then its up to whatever you feel comfortable with.

alecorre
07-17-2008, 06:48 AM
what if I need wakes and things like a beach ball floating on the surface? CAn I create ripples that are have dimension and are not just a texture? I am interested in finding out...

Thanks for the info

Aikiman
07-17-2008, 07:43 AM
yeah man you can do all that stuff its all in the Oceans menu. Its exactly the same if you just created an Ocean, the only difference is that the Oceans command creates a nurbs plane that is optimised to have more detail in the middle and less tessellation further out. It also creates a preview plane for you automatically. If you are just making a small pool then using a polyplane with even tessellation should be fine then chuck the ocean texture onto it from the hypershade.

Just to add, i forgot how you can convert a pond to polys so thanks for that ;) Another piece of info is you can convert any of the gaseous fluids to polys also like preset flames or clouds etc

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2008, 07:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.