PDA

View Full Version : my demo reel

seminalsoul
07-16-2008, 09:47 PM
alright guys... im finally showing my demo reel to the world. well... i learned character animation on my own ( no acting classes no nothing) . so here it is.

and pleaseeeee let me know what are your c&c's :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-zA7wDax0A

cos ive been hunting for a job since quite some time now but no luck! so i really need to know how my reel is. :)

also right now i am waiting to hear from LAS... as i was selected and had given an interview in may. i really want to get through and get selected.

let me know.

cheers :P

bledsoed
07-18-2008, 12:41 AM
My advice.... Take some classes. Sorry i dont want to be harsh or atleast read the animators survival kit some more.

A couple of big key things that stood out to me are twining in your poses, boring poses, and the biggest no real concern for the principles of animation. Yes the characters move, and do a decent job of moving, but there is very little overlapping action, secondary action, weight ect. Example: all your body parts move at the same time and stop at the same time when going into and out of each pose.

-Derek B
-Animator @ Monolith

dpendleton
07-18-2008, 04:50 AM
I see where he might need some work but on the box lifting I think he did a great job, Just vary up the walking.

FDK
07-18-2008, 05:08 AM
you've got skillz

aesir
07-18-2008, 07:59 AM
I noticed on your walk cycles that the legs are never straight and the toes dont move at all. Both those things are really important in selling a good walk cycle (although there are some types of walks like when youre crouched over where you dont want straight legs, but with your walk cycles, you need some straight leg poses as their body is at their highest point and when they are reaching out their foot to touch the ground in front of them. If you buy the book Animator's Survival Kit, which is an awesome book for animators both 2d and 3d, you'll get a good idea.)

With your acting pieces, I felt as though you know what youre doing with animation as in you understand ease in and ease outs and smooth motion for the most part, but I also get the feeling that you're not acting out your scenes at all. Or if you are acting them out, youre not paying enough attention to all the nuances of your motion or your simplifying it as you animate to make it easier (i do that a lot). Basically, just try acting out the scene and say the lines and find a good performance that is completely planned out before you animate. It might help.

I think you might need a bit more work before youre going to have an easy time getting hired...

I liked your reel though. I laughed a bit, it was fun :)

seminalsoul
07-19-2008, 09:27 PM
thx a lot guys for commenting. at least now i know, in what areas i need to improve.

well.. i was aiming for more realistic / dramatic acting in the reel. hence the boring poses.
i guess that i need to master both properly.

i would appreciate more c&c .. cos every comment is a new lesson for me :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2008, 09:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.