PDA

View Full Version : particle instacer

=LuxX=
07-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Hello ladys and gents,

I have a quit simple question.
im working on the following tutorial http://web.tiscali.it/maya_tutorial/ ( realy nice one for sools of fish)
well everything works fine BUT..
the particles follow the locator. (the locator makes a big circle)
when i make a fish and instance it to the particles it looks good but when i play it the fish will not look the right way. they have to face the locator all the time but they just keep looking ( for instance) over the X. and they dont rotate... ( the particles do rotate)
now i tryed several options in the rotation options menu but with no result, and there are to much options to try all out.
can some one help me out here? ( using maya 2008 unlimited)

Wick3dParticle
07-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Hey Luxx,

Try this:

Make sure that your instanced model is aligned along the X axis, and that the transformations are frozen (modify/freeze transformations).

Now on your particleShape's attributes, go to the Instancer tab. Scroll down to the "Aim Direction" option and set it to velocity.

That should solve your problem, but let me know if it doesnt.

~Ilan

=LuxX=
07-17-2008, 08:13 AM
i would almost say it does not work.. but then i thought of trying it in 32 bit... strange enough it works in there and not in the 64 bit. ( mby because of the script)

but IT WORKS!!!..... this will be an sweet promotion film i make for my work :D... they never expected that so much was possible ;)

Only now i have an other problem... and that is that they are all on the same height of Y..
How do i random that? and that the move up and down a little?

thanks allot!!

Wick3dParticle
07-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Hey LuxX,

I don't know why it wouldnt work in 64bit...but I am happy that it worked for you!

~Ilan

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2008, 05:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.