PDA

View Full Version : procedural animated shader on particles

thinkpozzitive
07-15-2008, 08:11 AM
hy,
when it comes to placing procedural animated shaders on particles, how is that done?
What I want is to have each particle that enters a givent event , at a given time, to have that material animation play from that frame to the end. So if I have a 50 frame animated shader (beginning at frame 0 and ending at frame 50), and my particle enters the event at frame 60, i want the particle to have that shader with it's frame 0 at frame 60, and it's end frame at frame 110. So How is this offset done for each individual particle that enters the event? or is it even posible?.
In terms of a more visual illustration, think about a bunch of boxex for instance, flying around , and at some point due to some tests or defectors or whatever , some of the particles desintegrate (animated shader based).
If you have any ideea, please let me know.
Thank you.

PsychoSilence
07-15-2008, 06:52 PM
You should bake out your animated Shader as Image Sequence or AVI file then load it into the material and have a closer look at the TIME rollout:

There's a checkbox that says: "Sync Frames to Particle Age"

But beware that this option EATS ram for breakfast! it should work but depending on zour workstation this might slow down or kill your max even...hope this option will be improved one day...

It should work that way. I haven't tested it and it could be that this function is broken nower days even...but search the help for "Sync Frames to Particle Age"...

hope i could help a bit at least

cheers,
anselm\

EDIT: looked up the help for you :)

Bitmap 2D Map:
Time rollout These controls let you change the start time and speed of animation ( AVI (http://forums.cgsociety.org/mk:@MSITStore:C:%5CProgram%20Files%5CAutodesk%5C3ds%20Max%202008%5Chelp%5C3dsmax.chm::/WSf742dab04106313339aef003112a1ce9423-7f17.htm) or MOV (http://forums.cgsociety.org/mk:@MSITStore:C:%5CProgram%20Files%5CAutodesk%5C3ds%20Max%202008%5Chelp%5C3dsmax.chm::/WSf742dab04106313339aef003112a1ce9423-7f0a.htm) ) files used as animated texture maps. They make it easier to use sequences of images as maps in scenes, because you can control the timing very precisely

Start FrameSpecifies the frame where the playback of the animated map will begin.

Playback RateLets you speed up and slow down the rate that the animation is applied to the map (for example, 1.0 is normal speed, 2.0 is twice as fast, .333 is 1/3 as fast).

Sync Frames to Particle AgeWhen on, the software synchronizes the frames of a bitmap sequence to the age of particles to which the map is applied. With this effect, each particle displays the sequence from the start when it is born, rather than being assigned whichever frame is current. Default=off.

When using Particle Flow, assign the material containing the Bitmap map to a Material Dynamic operator. For more details and a procedure, see Material Dynamic Operator (http://forums.cgsociety.org/mk:@MSITStore:C:%5CProgram%20Files%5CAutodesk%5C3ds%20Max%202008%5Chelp%5C3dsmax.chm::/WSf742dab0410631331c0db195112a1ceb6fd-7f8f.htm) .

thinkpozzitive
07-15-2008, 07:17 PM
You should bake out your animated Shader as Image Sequence or AVI file then load it into the material and have a closer look at the TIME rollout:

There's a checkbox that says: "Sync Frames to Particle Age"

But beware that this option EATS ram for breakfast! it should work but depending on zour workstation this might slow down or kill your max even...hope this option will be improved one day...

It should work that way. I haven't tested it and it could be that this function is broken nower days even...but search the help for "Sync Frames to Particle Age"...

hope i could help a bit at least

cheers,
anselm\

EDIT: looked up the help for you :)
Thank you Anselm,
I will try it as soon as i can

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2008, 07:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.