PDA

View Full Version : online portfolio

Jed
04-24-2002, 03:56 AM
Hi everyone,

I just finished redesigning my web site. Please come by and tell me what you all think.

www.jed-online.com

EighthDecay
04-24-2002, 05:38 AM
looks good to me,,, downloading some of the Avi's

cool characters,, still digging through it,, but you have some awesome tallent.

igor popovic
04-24-2002, 05:44 AM
Hi Jed,

i just finished viewing your website. I love the characters you have, the girl(i don't know the name) but she has a brazier made of hands, i LOVED that touch:D ...also, Zidane, I checked out the animation for it, very good, i love the part at the end where everything slows down and he kicks the ball...i just though his shirt was a litle too flexible, it seemed as if it were made of silk, just a thought.
anyways, another thing i liked was the animation scene inside the subway train.

overall good composition of visual 'stimulants':)

keep it up!

henry
04-24-2002, 07:52 PM
your work is simply mindblowing, your characters are of the most interresting i've seen, your environments more than just pictures and your videos, well, currently unavailable :shrug: i didn't get the chance to see them cuz there seems to be a technical error

but you rock nevertheless.

i will reply later on with some remarks/mistakes you propably did, if you want.

bye from henry
:wavey:

Jed
04-25-2002, 05:26 AM
Thanks a lot for taking the time to visit my site guys. And I really appreciate your comments.

Henry I don't know why you could not see the videos. Everything seems fine from here. Just make sure you get the divX codec. And I certainly await your remarks.

Thanks again

visionmaster
04-25-2002, 08:24 AM
really good job and good animation !
i like the fountain for salombo. his there an animation for it ?

j'aime bien ton zizou, mais il a trop de cheveux...:)

pascal_blanche
04-25-2002, 09:09 AM
great portfolio Jed! I'm a big fan of Druillet's work ( I had the chance to meet him once in Paris) and I love the way you managed to keep his style in CG . your characters are perfect and man... this fountain! I would love to know the presets of these neat water reflexions! ( I'm vray user too ;) )

Encore bravo! 5 stars!

Jed
04-26-2002, 03:41 AM
Visionmaster, yes there will be animated water gushing from the creatures mouths. The fountain will be only a small part of a large garden that I'm currently working on. So i'm keeping the animated water for the end.

And I agree with you, Zidane has too much hair, but the almighty marketing department wanted it that way :annoyed: Oh well...

Pascal I'm so thrilled you took the time to visit my site. You've got a long time fan here. Here's a capture of the fountain water material.

pascal_blanche
04-26-2002, 04:53 AM
wow merci pour le feedback gerome ! Sans rire, c'est vraiment du bon boulot que tu as la ... t'as pas envie de venir t'installer a Montreal des fois? ;)

Jed
04-26-2002, 05:37 AM
ben pourquoi pas, moi je veux bien aller n'importe où pourvu que je quitte Paris ;) Tu fais quoi toi à Montreal ?
Merci bien en tout cas, ca me met vraiment la pêche pour chercher du boulot tout ca.

element412
04-26-2002, 08:19 AM
!!!!!!!!!! excellent!!!!!!!!

vraiment beau!
j'adore le style des textures des tes charactères.....

a voir tout ca jme dis que vraiemnt je devrais me remettre à 3dmax...... si au moins je pourrait aimer les outils de modelage de max autant que ceux de lightwave.....

anyway, vraiment beau....j'espère pouvoir faire aussi bien un jour........

element

arkitus
04-26-2002, 11:06 AM
Im not too good with 3d, but as for the site design, its GREAT!

pg|
04-26-2002, 04:35 PM
i must say i love your stuff!
great stuff!

Jed
04-27-2002, 05:52 AM
wouhou, 5 stars !! This is sooooo cool !

Again thanks a lot to all who have taken the time to visit and reply.

Cheers

henry
04-27-2002, 12:12 PM
ENVIRONMENTS

Feather Island - Nice environment but
1 - The lighting doesn't seem to match the weather/time of the day (according to your sky)
2 - The rock texture looks like it's chuckled (?) paper
3 - Unlike the other side of this column, this side looks pretty smooth, which is, I think, wrong.

The Magi Tower - Atmospheric as hell! but i have just one mistake:
1 - The clouds edges look rather rough at places, I'm guessing you composited those in After Effects (correct me if i'm wrong). They should be rather blurry.

Interdimension Corridor
very nice textures, but i've noticed a repetition of one of them:
1 - Obvious repetition of a texture, try creating variations of that texture in photoshop.
2 - The room looks overall old and abandoned but the ground looks to be very shiny and clean. I would suggest reducing the amount of reflectivity and perhaps use a diffuse map (that's how Cinema 4D works) that affects reflection.

Garden of Rhea - AAAAAAaaaaaaaa!! I wish I lived there!!! That looks so AWESOME! But the one thing that bugs me is the sky background, it looks much like a picture rather than actual clouds (I know it IS a picture but you know what i mean :) )

Subway - Almost photorealistic, perhaps you should check out these points:
1 - These writings look rather new and solid, if they're supposed to be old then perhaps you should fade some letters, make them less opaque.
2 - Again, these look pretty new, try adding scratches and less reflection, and dirt, the same applies to the windows

The Barn - Ooh I just love these scenes . Some comments:
1 - The broken glass hole looks rather regular and I think some areas around the hole should look like they're ready to brake too. darn I forgot the word in english for that
2 - I'm not sure about this volumetric light here, isn't that supposed to be only when the sun is up? not really sure about that
3 - I LOVE THAT TEXTURE!
4 - Small number of sides in that cone make it look unreal
5 - Since this barn looks abandoned, this volumetric light should have a bigger value of dust in my opinion that is.

Apartment - Even though i'm not really a fan of interiors here are some stuff i noticed:
1 - Those items look rather flat
2 - The area where the table meets the grounds looks very clean, no shadows, i don't know :shrug:
3 - This cactus (?) looks like it's not affected by lights

Gym - I'm not good in architecture so i can't really tell you anything about this, just that is looks pretty real from a first sight :)

henry
04-27-2002, 02:48 PM
Characters

Priestess - This one is absolutely awesome. I love her outfit, makes her look really REALLY evil ;) but i've noticed some (in my opinion) mistakes:
1 - Her shoulders look rather raised
2 - Here it seems that polygons are entering other polygons ?
3 - Her hand doesn't seem to be resting on her waist

Inn Keeper - This you just gotta love, he looks really mysterious and i like mysterious characters :p but his eyes look like they were quick drawn in photoshop.

Hamilcar - This one's a personal favorite! I love every single aspect of this character and i've fallen in love with it since the day i saw your avatar :) VERY VERY VERY good work on this, nothing else to say :)

Zidane - This character looks like he's at his 30s yet his skin seems to be rather smooth, perhaps if you added some wrinkles it would get closer to real (in my humble opinion), also in the animation it seems that there is a very small amount of friction between him and his shirt.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon - LOL! This one is just plain weird, in a good way of course :0) If he's supposed to be funny/cartoonish then you did a good job with that texture, bright green looks great on him :) and his animation is funny too
:grin:

henry
04-27-2002, 02:51 PM
http://insaneimagine.0catch.com/priestess2_comm.jpg
http://insaneimagine.0catch.com/inn keeper_comm.jpg
http://insaneimagine.0catch.com/feather island_comm.jpg
http://insaneimagine.0catch.com/magi_tower_comm.jpg
http://insaneimagine.0catch.com/interdimension Corridor_comm.jpg
http://insaneimagine.0catch.com/sybway_comm.jpg
http://insaneimagine.0catch.com/barn_comm.jpg
http://insaneimagine.0catch.com/apartment_comm.jpg

henry
04-27-2002, 02:55 PM
oh and the animation of that guy playing the violin, his clothes move a little bit too smooth, like there's no friction
and the atlantis stuff, well i guess those are kinda old so there are stuff that look pretty weird today :) but they still look really really beautiful (especially that scenery! ARGH!!)

PHEW!! LONGEST POST EVER!! NOW I FEEL KINDA GUILTY THOUGH for posting these stuff, i still don't think i'm worthy of tellin you these, as you seem to know A HELL LOT MORE THAN ME :)

even though you made some mistakes (according to my sick observation methods!! i still think you deserve those SIX stars and remember, you can only get better

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, and i can't wait to see those WIPS finished

phew 3 hours of posting! :twisted:

bye from henry :wavey:

GAMaus
04-27-2002, 03:20 PM
Very nice!!
I like the Priestress :bounce:

MaskTX
04-27-2002, 04:46 PM
Your works are cool! How much time do you work with CG???

Raul-Reznek
04-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Jed - GREAT WORK DUDE!!!!!

really awsome.
I wanted to ask ya bout the "Litte EMINEM" guy.

Do u like Dr Dre.? cause I saw you were saying something bout him there.

I love Dre, the best RAPPER this EARTH has ever known, just too good for any ears.

Really COOL work.

Jed
04-28-2002, 07:07 PM
Wow a 3-hour crit :blush: Henry my friend, you've got an eagle eye, and I wish you're never my boss ;)
First let me say that I agree with 90% of what you've pointed out. Most of the work displayed in this portfolio was professional work, and as always in such cases, there was a deadline. As heartbreaking as it is, you have to move on when your boss says "Okay, that's good enough" ( which usually means "Okay you've already spent too much time on this :deal: ")
Let me explain how scenes in games like Atlantis, Versailles or Salammbô are prepared. These work kinda like Myst, where a few 360° views are scattered through the scene (every 5 meters in Atlantis 3, for example). This means you have to copromise a lot because everything will be seen from various distances, and various angles. Unlike a still image where you can work on your composition, model and texture only what is necessary, then light what you want people to focus on, here you have to make sure everything looks good from a distance as well as up close. So you have to compromise in the way that you have to keep your polygon and texture count reasonnable. But i agree with you, there are a lot of mistakes ... :annoyed:
As for the characters eyes, they are typical of Druillet's universe - red triangles. Here's a link to his personnal site if you're not familiar with his work. http://www.chez.com/druillet/
Thanks again, Henry for spending so much time on the site, and your thorough examination of all these pictures.:beer:

Raul, yes I like Dre very much. My first intention with to model him along with that little Eminem and do a cartoon version of Eminem's "Guilty Conscience". I will probably do it when I find the time, though

FortUno
04-28-2002, 11:57 PM
Wow, your site is awesome. I'm downloading some of those animations right now. :applause: I love the characters, and environments.. and the site design is very good too.

The only thing that I can offer for improvements, is that in your environments section, my Internet Explorer says that most of the pages have an error. Might have something to do with the ^ - + buttons. when the mouse goes over them, they don't change from the fuzzy look to the sharp, focused images... I don't know if that's a browser specific thing if you're using a different browser.

Otherwise, I am very impressed with your work, and website. :thumbsup:

MaskTX
06-29-2002, 01:39 PM
Great Portfilio man! :airguitar
Just Character modeling goddes!:buttrock: :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.