PDA

View Full Version : cloth collision on particles (not reverse)

zoo-prod
07-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Hey,

I'd like to make a ncloth collide on particles and NOT particles collide on a ncloth . So the ncloth slide on the particles or bounce or at least follow...
I didn't found anything about it...
Is it possible ? Any tips ?

Thanks !

zoo-prod
07-20-2008, 09:59 PM
ok...
Looks like nobody knows... or is that immpossible ?
Even using script ?

JSmustang
07-20-2008, 10:30 PM
If it is just me, but I find the question vague in many ways.

It would be the exact same if particles collided versus the Ncloth colliding.

I am not sure I understand your question verily.

I am not sure, because I have never actually tried doing something like this. I am not at my machine at the moment so I would be able to test this, but I could give the suggestion, that you try.

One thing you want to be sure to do is not delete any history at all from the Ncloth object though, so that is a little confusing it seems.

Particles and selecting the Ncloth object may allow you to.... Create a collision object out of the Ncloth.

zoo-prod
07-21-2008, 04:50 AM
Ok, looks like my quesion was jbadely asked.
I try again !

I want to use particles exacly like I can use any geometry to do a passive object to collide on a cloth.
For exemple, I would like to have a cloud of static particles, drop my cloth on the top of it and have this cloth fit on top of these particles.

Of course, I tried some stuffs, but couldn't find anyway to do that...
Just thinking now that I could use a soft body and make it collide with the cloth... But it wont give the effect I'd like.
I want a free cloud of particles that could lead my cloth in some way...
(the cloth could be a skin around the particles for exemple)

It's not for any project or something, just want to achieve this kind of effect, I'm pretty sure it could be usefull.

Thanks for your answer anyway JSmustang.

Just to be sure, I formulate it again in an other way : I want the cloth to bounce on the particles, not the particles to bounce on the cloth.

Sorry if it looks weird or if it is badely asked !

Aikiman
07-21-2008, 10:03 PM
try using a radial field as source for particles, then connect the field to the nCloth, I think that works. (just like you would for inter-particle fields).

zoo-prod
07-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Yes, that's a good idea.
Thanks.

But is there any way to directly connect these particles to the cloth ? That's what I'm wondering and would like to achieve :)

Aikiman
07-24-2008, 02:31 AM
currently I am pretty sure this isnt possible at this moment and time using Mayas traditional particles. Maybe in Maya 2009 they might address this so that particles and cloth interact. One can only hopes but should not expect to avoid disappointment. ;)

KidderD
07-24-2008, 02:33 AM
Really if you think about it ncloth is just particles that are connected to mesh using simulation. So if you are trying to collide ncloth with particles, just use another ncloth object, hide the mesh, and use the underlying particles as the collision. Not entirely unlike how Duncan has used ncloth to simulate water. See his blog for details.

This would give you all the control you needed, all the nucleus solver goodies.

zoo-prod
07-24-2008, 03:56 AM
Yes, That's true. cloth are some sort of particles. I'll try that and keep you informed !

Aikiman
07-24-2008, 04:43 AM
This may help...

The basic technique is to disable all edge and face relationships on the nCloth node, so that all that remains is point to point collision, then pipe the output of the nCloth into a particle system. We connect this output of the cloth into the particle system softbody mesh and goal mesh inputs.

zoo-prod
07-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Hey, thanks for the workflow ! I'll try that this week-end !

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2008, 11:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.