PDA

View Full Version : PDC-Creation in Passes?

Ge-ZUS
07-14-2008, 12:36 PM
hi everybody out there

i have a scene that contains much too many particles (my machine crashes every now and then). is it possible to create a particle disk cache in a kind of layers or passes? maya crashes during "one-pass-pdc-creation".

i have 2 particle systems. emitter01 emits particles and emitter02 is actually the particles of system 1 (emit from object). so thats why my scene gets too heavy over time. the problem is that i need that much particles for the scene to look convicing. both particle objects are blobby and need to be rendered in software, so i cannot use multipoints or -streaks.

what can i do? workaround?

you can get the scene/project here:

ftp://mikeyworld.dyndns.org/public/garage.zip

thanks in advance for your support...and keep on 3D-ing

akril
07-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Hi
There is to way to have multiple PDC passes. Firstly the most important things is to setup differents scenes with a different seed (Emitter Seed) on your particleShape for each emitters. If you're used with mel/python programming you can do it easily.

Afterwards, you could cache your particles with the command line "dynExport..." using the "maya -prompt" mode. This mode allow you to launch maya without GUI loading, so usefull to keep memory available :scream:.
Or the other tips could be to use the dynExport command like a batchrender pre-render mel script.

I hope you'll find you way.

Ge-ZUS
07-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi
There is to way to have multiple PDC passes. Firstly the most important things is to setup differents scenes with a different seed (Emitter Seed) on your particleShape for each emitters. If you're used with mel/python programming you can do it easily.

Afterwards, you could cache your particles with the command line "dynExport..." using the "maya -prompt" mode. This mode allow you to launch maya without GUI loading, so usefull to keep memory available :scream:.
Or the other tips could be to use the dynExport command like a batchrender pre-render mel script.

I hope you'll find you way.

hi akril (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=185725)

thanks for your reply

ok, i figured out how dynExport works. i did it with my standard-scene, so it crashed also in prompt.
unfortunately i can't catch up with you when you want me to setup multiple scenes with different seed setting. whats the point in doing that? will i have to cache one particle system at first, and then the other one? the problem is that particle2 depends on the existence of particle1 (emit from object - particleSystem1), so particle2 can't exist without particle1 being emitted.

would be glad if you could describe your workflow more precise.

thanks again for your hints anyway :-D

akril
07-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Ok I know what you mean. That's could be a good idea to cache firstly the particle1 and afterwards the particle2, but it will not change the amount of particles in maya... so I guess it's not the good way :argh:.

What I mean with the muti-scenes setup is to cache the same amount of particles but with 2 or 3 differents scenes, not only one. So you need to generate 2/3/x scenes with different "Emission Random Stream Seeds" on your particleShape to get different positions of your particles.

Akril.

Ge-ZUS
07-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Ok I know what you mean. That's could be a good idea to cache firstly the particle1 and afterwards the particle2, but it will not change the amount of particles in maya... so I guess it's not the good way .:argh:

What I mean with the muti-scenes setup is to cache the same amount of particles but with 2 or 3 differents scenes, not only one. So you need to generate 2/3/x scenes with different "Emission Random Stream Seeds" on your particleShape to get different positions of your particles.

Akril.

okay...and then comp those different passes together? would that be your plan? could work actually...thanks so far :beer:

will get back to you with my results :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2008, 02:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.