PDA

View Full Version : 3Delight Area lights ?

bunker
07-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Sorry to post the question here, but it hasn't been answered on the 3Delight forum.
Is there a way to render Area Lights with 3Delight ??

anyone ?

Sharky0815
07-14-2008, 09:38 AM
I assume you are referring to having them translated from within maya. If you are on support, which I recommend, you can do that with one of the more recent versions. Altough AFAIK only raytraced shadows are supported right now. As I try to avoid raytracing when possible, I use this (http://www.3db-site.com/html/softShadow.php) shader when needed.

Saturn
07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
this shader is really useful to simulate soft shadows but what about the spec term and diffuse term ?
An arealight doesn't only produce soft shadows but also affect spec and diffuse.

Sharky0815
07-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Yes, I am aware of that and should have added it. Of course there are ways around that too (wrap light, custom specular). Also, I haven't looked into it but I don't see why the (raytraced) shadowing term of the arealight shader couldn't be replaced by the one above. Or just use raytracing and take the speed hit, it's always a tradeoff between time spent working and time spent rendering.

bunker
07-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks a lot ! I still don't understand why they say that "Area Lights" are supported in the technical specs ...

Sharky0815
07-14-2008, 01:33 PM
3delight supports them completely according to the renderman standard, it's the translation done by 3delight for maya that is currently not feature complete. As it was the case with a lot of features that got implemented over time you can code your way around it or wait for them to get implemented.

In my case, I learnt to code things myself and have gotten to a point where I am able to write blocks of rsl code and string them together in the hypergraph. Like a custom diffuse shading with a custom specular, blurry reflections, pointbased AO and SSS on top. And everything goes into it'sa own aov, no extra setup needed. This workflow surely isn't for everyone but for me it is the unique selling point of 3delight and I wouldn't want to go back. But I'm getting offtopic here :-)

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2008, 01:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.