PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun

taxibickle
07-13-2008, 08:38 PM
I want to make a shotgun shoot shotgun shells and explode something on contact.

Shotgun shells are filled with tiny BBs.

When they come out of the barrel of a gun they spread out a little bit.

When they hit something small like a lightbulb or clay pigeon it will shatter into pieces.

Does anyone know how to build and rig something like that?

catizone
07-14-2008, 12:39 AM
You doin' a slow-mo shot?

Otherwise, it's smoke from the barrel, and splatter pattern hits the target (or object explodes).

Best,
Rick

taxibickle
07-14-2008, 01:21 AM
No, not a slow mo.

Just a shot and an explosion.

I've never done one before so I'm not sure where to begin.

Also, is there a simple way to do recoil/kick, etc. without doing it by hand for every frame?

catizone
07-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Okay. SO let's start with the premise that your eye can't see a bullet travel, so neither can a camera. You animate the character holding the shotgun, animate him recoiling. Two or three frames from when the gun is "fired", the object explodes.

How that happens is again, unseen.
If it were a bottle, the bottle is sitting there. When it shatters, I'd have the bottle Hidden, and then have several pieces (elements), varigated sections made from the original model in place for the first frame of the "shatter". Which means they have already been thrust from their original position, an appropriate amount and distance. This would be specific to direction of blast and type of effect, and any exaggeration, as you wanted. Finish animating appropriately.

Basic idea is, don't be too literal, because that is not what the eye sees. Although...I one time had a window shadow into a million tiny shards...directly at me. I saw them for a micro second ...but almost in a slow-mo effect...and managed to close my eyes before I was showered with these minute millionsof slivers. SO...while the eye can sometimes perceive something that is normally imperceptible...that is just not the norm.

Best,
Rick

taxibickle
07-14-2008, 02:20 AM
Wow.

That all makes logical sense to me.

I have a plugin called "crackit" I think. It's supposed to break up your object into several pieces leaving the shape, etc. in tact.

I tried it once using a simple ball to hit it and it looked pretty cool.

Have you used that modeling plugin?

Is there a better method I should choose for modeling the various pieces?

Thanks for your advise.

catizone
07-14-2008, 03:33 AM
Haven't used it. Depends on what is "breaking". A bottle might have most of the bottom intact, but jagged, maybe the neck, and just a few representative pieces for what might have been in the middle. DON'T try and do every piece as some may be atomized or sent flying to far and fast that doing every piece might look fake.

Best,
Rick.

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2008, 03:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.