PDA

View Full Version : E3'08 - Nintendo News

heavyness
07-13-2008, 06:01 PM
post pics, links, and discuss all your Nintendo E3'08 topics here...

ParamountCell
07-14-2008, 04:32 PM
http://kotaku.com/assets/images/kotaku/2008/07/nintendo_wii_motionplus.jpg
Nintendo's just announced Wii MotionPlus (http://kotaku.com/tag/Wii-MotionPlus/), an accessory for the Wii Remote. The add-on attaches to the bottom of the Wii-mote and more accurately traces motions in 3-D space by better orienting the controller. Hit the jump for the full press release details.

We expect Nintendo to divulge more at its E3 press conference tomorrow.

NINTENDO INTRODUCES THE WII™ MOTIONPLUS
July 14, 2008
Nintendo's upcoming Wii™ MotionPlus accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote™ controller again redefines game control, by more quickly and accurately reflecting motions in a 3-D space. The Wii MotionPlus accessory attaches to the end of the Wii Remote and, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar, allows for more comprehensive tracking of a player's arm position and orientation, providing players with an unmatched level of precision and immersion. Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play. The Wii MotionPlus accessory reconfirms Nintendo's commitment to making games intuitive and accessible for everyone. Nintendo will reveal more details about the Wii MotionPlus accessory and other topics Tuesday morning at its E3 media briefing.

Read More:

kotaku.com

lovisx
07-14-2008, 04:39 PM
anybody excited about this... I'd almost rather see a new control that has it built in.

This means buying a new case
an add on that will probably cost the same as a new control
and from the looks of it a new nunchuck.

ParamountCell
07-14-2008, 04:40 PM
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/887/887635p1.html

US, July 9, 2008 - Details are slowly starting to emerge on Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen, the Japanese version of the Wii entry in the Fatal Frame series. And thank goodness for that! A Japanese release is set for July 31, so it's about time for an update!

Previous updates have revealed a storyline that leads Misaki and Madoka, two of five girls who were involved in an abduction in their youth, to Rougetsu Island, the scene of the incident. Ruka Minazuki, one of the main characters, follows.

Famitsu has a few new details on some of the characters in this week's issue. Ruka has lost her memory of all things prior to the abduction, but she will be gaining it back as she explores the island. It also appears that she's learning the piano.

Also revealed is the identity of the detective who saved those five girls from their kidnapping. His name is Choushiro Kirishima. His original discovery of the five girls came about as his chase of a suspect lead him to the island. He's heading back to the island again, this time in pursuit of Ruka after his services were requested of her mother.

You'll be switching off between multiple main characters, including Ruka and Choushiro, as you play through this latest Fatal Frame title. Your overall goal for the game is to solve the mysteries of Rougetsu Island, making use of a special camera that can seal away ghosts.

In addition to the character details, Famitsu got an update on the game's menu system. Go into the main menu during play, and you'll have access to a map, a handy file function for saving your data, and items, allowing you to replenish your health when the ghosts fight back. You can also make adjustments to your camera, selecting from a variety of film and lens types.

Despite all the new details, Fatal Frame's first Wii installment is still a somewhat mysterious affair. But that may be one of the points! Expect more to emerge on the game possibly at E3 and definitely once the Japanese version arrives on July 31.

ParamountCell
07-15-2008, 07:24 AM
E3 2008: DS Accelerometer / New DS Forthcoming?
Buh?
by Matt Casamassina
US, July 14, 2008 - It's E3 time and the rumors are spreading like wildfire. Sources tell IGN that development studio Activision is preparing to release a new peripheral designed to give Nintendo DS motion/tilt functionality. The small add-on will take a cue from Guitar Hero: On Tour and plug into the Game Boy Advance slot on the DS. One of the first games to make use of this new peripheral will be the next version of Tony Hawk.

Insiders also assert that Nintendo itself may alternatively be planning to release new DS cartridges with built in accelerometers, a possibility that could eventually negate the importance of Activision's peripheral.

In semi-related news, IGN has separately heard from trusted insiders that Nintendo could be planning to debut a slimmed down version of its handheld complemented by a dramatically reduced (sub-$100) price tag. Whether or not this made-over DS will include built-in accelerometer functionality is not known. There is a chance that the Big N will show off the updated DS at E3 2008 this week.

A redesigned DS might ship sans a GBA slot, which could explain why Nintendo might be separately developing accelerometer-based cartridges despite Activision's own efforts.

As always, until IGN can validate the information through multiple sources, readers should consider the hearsay posted in this article as rumor. We will update with new details as they become available.

======================================================

I hear rumours that Kid icarus wont be shown:(

shy-guy
07-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Any info on some kind of memory storage solution for the Wii, for the people who have a bunch of virtual console games and are planning to download wii ware ones but dont have enough room? (and dont want to erase games to download others).

I think that the release of something like that its way overdelayed.

ParamountCell
07-15-2008, 03:39 PM
The Nintendo Press Conference starts in under half an hour, I am at work so I wont be able to catch the first half and I wont be able to catch the second half of Sony,s. http://kotaku.com/5025295/nintendo-e3-08-press-conference-liveblog are live blogging. I think gametrailers g4 and www.gonintendo.com have live streams. When I get back online let me know what I missed. :)

PS Post your video stream here.

lovisx
07-15-2008, 03:45 PM
thanks for posting the live blog!

heavyness
07-15-2008, 04:04 PM
live videos...

http://livewire.ign.com/2008/e3/index.html [watching now, good quality]

http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/press_conf_detail.aspx?pressconference_key=3

ParamountCell
07-15-2008, 04:19 PM
http://wiinintendo.net/2008/07/15/nintendo-e3-press-coverage-live-feed-chat/

good link no lag

heavyness
07-15-2008, 04:28 PM
watching the conference...

Wii
-Animal Crossing on the Wii 2008 - day and night, seasons, and of course being able to share and communicate with others online. you can send messages to people's cel phones and pcs. also, WiiSpeak, a microphone to allow people to talk [it's not a headset, it's a microphone for the entire room].
-Raving Rabbits TV Party - uses the balance board too
-Star Clone Wars
-Call of Duty World at War
-Wii MotionPlus -makes the Wiimote more accurate.
-WiiSports Resorts [comes with a Wii MotionPlus] jetski, sword playing, frisbee

-WiiMusic - playing as a band, Shigeru Miyamoto and some other guys jam together [drums, saxophone, and 48 more!] no wrong notes, you play how you want, the game makes it sound good.

separate drum mode that uses the balance board for the kicks and comes with tutorials so you can learn to drum.
orchestra mode - conduct msuic [from E3 two years ago]
record and share music
onstage, 5 people jam out playing a Mario theme song... works good, the game makes them sound some what in sync. families will eat this up since it can make a 5 year old sound good.

DS
-Grand Theft Auto : Chinatown Wars on the DS?...wow!
-use your DS to get info at airports [like where an ATM is in the airport, food. this stuff is being tested out.
-use your DS at baseball fields to see scores, instant replays, and more [currently being used at Safeco Field in Seattle]
-cook book app coming to America

Solothores
07-15-2008, 05:07 PM
After seeing that Wii-music stuff, I don't know if I should laugh or cry ;)

sfox8
07-15-2008, 05:07 PM
I really enjoyed Nintendo's conference. I was all smiles the whole time. Especially with their Wii Music demo finale. Their new games look so fun. Wii Sports Resort looks cool and I can't wait to start sword dueling my friends haha. Good job Nintendo. =]

SheepFactory
07-15-2008, 05:12 PM
This was the worst e3 conference in the history of e3.

PaulAdams
07-15-2008, 05:14 PM
I tuned in late, only to find them dancing around on stage to the Mario theme. Was the entire thing as bad as the last 5minutes?

heavyness
07-15-2008, 05:17 PM
so i was talking with my brother yesterday [he has two 5 year olds]. they were just getting done playing WiiSports as their mom was about to do yoga on WiiFit. my brother goes on to say 5 other people in his neighborhood have a Wii and about 5 more families are getting them.

this E3 Conference is for them. they are going to love WiiMuisc and the new WiiSports!

for me, nothing new... nothing to exciting. no news on an F-Zero, Kid Icuras, or any other 'Nintendo Franchise' [besides the fact that both the Mario and Zelda teams are working on new titles...]. sure, using the DS in more place sounds cool, but in the end of the day, i want to play some games on it. Nintendo will still sell systems like crazy and they are really taking themselves out of compition with the 360 and PS3 and moving into a whole new genre and audience [which is a good thing, i think, for everyone]. there is enough gamers to go around.

sfox8
07-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Sure they didn't reveal that many big or hardcore games, but I honestly don't think it was that bad. They seemed to focus more on the "fun and smiles" aspect this time around and I think they successfully did that.

ParamountCell
07-15-2008, 05:18 PM
loll I think that was supposed to be the highlight Imagine the sound went out for me at that point and all I could do is watch them dancing lol. Apparently there is an evening press conference, can anybody confirm this? I must say I wasn't overly excited by what was shown partly because allot of it was announced months or weeks ago. However, there is no doubt that this will keep Nintendo ahead of the race..

SheepFactory
07-15-2008, 05:20 PM
I tuned in late, only to find them dancing around on stage to the Mario theme. Was the entire thing as bad as the last 5minutes?

Worse. You missed the batshit crazy soccermom high on triple expresso from starbucks going on 10 minutes about how the outside world is dangerous and people should exercise indoors with the wii and playing a snowboarding game with the balance board that controls like being piss drunk. 30 minutes of "look at these awesome charts, we are so awesome!" and that terrible music "game" and another wii sports title to sell the new controller.

Animal crossing was the only good thing to come out of this.

agreenster
07-15-2008, 05:25 PM
I was really hoping for a DS 2.0.... :(

richcz3
07-15-2008, 05:31 PM
I have a Wii and I've purchased two games - which I've since given away to nephews (whom I bought Wiis for the holidays).

Heavyness pretty much nails it. Simply put - there are more families buying Wiis.
So many E3 presentations will be channeled to their "bread and butter" crowd. I just wonder how other publishers of other titles feel being paired up with the Mario and company onslaught.

ParamountCell
07-15-2008, 05:37 PM
so i was talking with my brother yesterday [he has two 5 year olds]. they were just getting done playing WiiSports as their mom was about to do yoga on WiiFit. my brother goes on to say 5 other people in his neighborhood have a Wii and about 5 more families are getting them.

this E3 Conference is for them. they are going to love WiiMuisc and the new WiiSports!

for me, nothing new... nothing to exciting. no news on an F-Zero, Kid Icuras, or any other 'Nintendo Franchise' [besides the fact that both the Mario and Zelda teams are working on new titles...]. sure, using the DS in more place sounds cool, but in the end of the day, i want to play some games on it. Nintendo will still sell systems like crazy and they are really taking themselves out of compition with the 360 and PS3 and moving into a whole new genre and audience [which is a good thing, i think, for everyone]. there is enough gamers to go around.

QTA that pretty much sums it up. Allot of the people who are most upset about this conference would not have bought a Nintendo console 5 years , labled it "teh kiddy console" So why the long faces?

Kid Icarus, Zelda , Mario, Disaster will come they just wont get the same exposure as these 'bridge' games.

Solothores
07-15-2008, 05:40 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x171/olimariOA/blah3.gif

ThomasMahler
07-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Worse, actually. That woman was incredibly annoying - and come on, not a SINGLE non-casual title? Is that what Nintendo is up to? No more Zelda, no more Metroid, no more Mario, no Donkey Kong, no nothing? Most of what they've shown doesn't really have a lot to do with videogames anymore - a medium that they helped to popularize over decades.

simoncheng
07-15-2008, 06:01 PM
any news for nintendo ds?

inguatu
07-15-2008, 06:06 PM
see... I predicted a lackluster showing from Nintendo. Wii has morphed into a cutesy family-oriented "arcade" style system. It sells like hotcakes because people buy into the hype of the controller and the first couple of games which are fun from the start. Then after that, boredom sets in and you wonder where the real games are.

sfox8
07-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Worse, actually. That woman was incredibly annoying - and come on, not a SINGLE non-casual title? Is that what Nintendo is up to? No more Zelda, no more Metroid, no more Mario, no Donkey Kong, no nothing? Most of what they've shown doesn't really have a lot to do with videogames anymore - a medium that they helped to popularize over decades.

Well actually they said that the Zelda and Mario games are coming but that's about all the said about them. I'm assuming they weren't far enough along in production to really say or show anything for E3. Maybe something at TGS?

As far as regular video games went, they announced Animal Crossing, Clone Wars (which I guess isn't too impressive since it doesn't really boast anything new), Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto.

Solothores
07-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Madworld
E3 Trailer (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x64z6t_mad-world-trailer-e3_videogames)

Some screens (http://www.livewii.fr/news/101606/-E3-2008-This-is-a-Mad-World-.html?c=0)

Maph
07-15-2008, 06:46 PM
see... I predicted a lackluster showing from Nintendo. Wii has morphed into a cutesy family-oriented "arcade" style system. It sells like hotcakes because people buy into the hype of the controller and the first couple of games which are fun from the start. Then after that, boredom sets in and you wonder where the real games are.

QFA.

But I love the wii. Well, let me rephraze that. I love the possibilities of the wii.
The wii-mote can bring gaming to a nice and entertaining new level. Especially in the field of FPS (to name a genre perse).
Cf. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Which was a cool game, although still milking of the success of the previous Prime releases including bugs, since the controls are the same. Most of the doors won't open when you bloody shoot them with a gazillion rockets, but do when you stare at the floor and look up at the door again, etc... Same bugs on all three versions, but it was a great experience none the less. Be it only to beat the crap out of Ridley once more.
Zelda: Twilight Princess. I thought this was a brilliant game. It was a cool new direction for Zelda, and Gannon looked cool for a change.

But other than that, it's all puzzle games and party games for the mentally challenged.
Wiiware for instance could be great. Lost Winds is cool little game, but unfortunately; it's the only cool one on there yet.
It's a mighty interesting platform for starting developpers and small-time companies who can't afford the risk of spending everything they've got on an release that may never see the light of day.
I'm all in favour of wiiware development, but I've head it's quite hard to become an official Nintendo licensee. So that might turn potential developpers off.

Anyhoot, Nintendo's been having a bad case of the 'pulling the teet untill dry'-syndrom for too long now.

lovisx
07-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Sad to see such low production quality. I'm looking at wii sport's wave race being worse then n64s.

SheepFactory
07-15-2008, 09:04 PM
http://g.photos.cx/15owfp2-18.gif

heavyness
07-15-2008, 09:31 PM

quoting just so we have dueling drummers on the screen...

Boone
07-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Okay, maybe asking for a new Zelda or Metroid was a bit unrealistic but not a single big title to look forward to?

C'mon Nintendo, a controller is not enough to sell a console. We need some third party titles to jazz things up a bit.

Grim Beefer
07-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Most of the doors won't open when you bloody shoot them with a gazillion rockets, but do when you stare at the floor and look up at the door again, etc... Same bugs on all three versions, but it was a great experience none the less...

I'm pretty sure that the reason for the door hangups is that the Prime engine is actually loading new areas while you wait for the doors to open. Annoying, but probably less so than constant loading screens.

ParamountCell
07-16-2008, 11:47 AM
http://kotaku.com/5025707/dead-risingfor-the-wii

Maph
07-16-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm pretty sure that the reason for the door hangups is that the Prime engine is actually loading new areas while you wait for the doors to open. Annoying, but probably less so than constant loading screens.

Probably, but I got the feeling it was a bit more random than that. :)
Oh well, it was and is still a great game.

heavyness
07-16-2008, 03:40 PM
http://kotaku.com/5025707/dead-risingfor-the-wii

i hope you can play as your Mii and safe your other Mii friends.... or the zombies look like your Mii friends...

NME-Se7eN
07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
i hope you can play as your Mii and safe your other Mii friends.... or the zombies look like your Mii friends...

Screw Microsoft... you need to work for Capcom....

Bucket
07-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Pretty sad... I don't think Nintendo should be considered even in the same lot as xbox or playstation anymore. Wii is in compeition with the tiger electronics crowd. Wii is like a high end sesame street or dora video game console with some added versatility. I used to like Nintendo so much but seeing seeing the wii develop since it's release is painful. I can only relate the feeling to that a parent feels when they discover their only child is snorting coke. Well maybe not so extreme but Nintendo is destroying everything they once did right.

Walli
07-17-2008, 06:43 AM
I think Nintendo is very succesfull at the moment, from an economic point of view - so they must be doing something right!
I know that most hardcoregamers don´t like what is happening. Even though I am not playing very often anymore and even though I like some of those small "party games" I also wish there would be more "real games".

But gamedevelopers produce what sells best and it seems that on the Wii the hardcore gamers are a niche market. I don´t think that you can blame Nintendo for that.
Of course it would have been nice to see some of the major Nintendo titles, but to be honest - thats just few titles anyways.
So where are EA, Ubisoft and all the others. If you are complaining about the lack of "hardcore gamer titles", then you can´t blame Nintendo alone, but all other gamedevs to. I can understand them though, why risking a big loss if you can earn good money with "cheap" minigames.

ParamountCell
07-17-2008, 07:37 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36621.html

Bucket
07-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah.. The wii seems like the right business move but one must consider the software sales before hardware sales. And software sales aren't all that hot. People are buying the wii and are relluctant to play anything beyond wii sports. 3rd party companies are realizing this and are somewhat hesitant to invest money where it may not be returned. It would seem the people playing wii don't buy games all too often. When was the last time you saw a wii game listed on the top 20 selling games for any month? With that said, 3rd party support for their portable platforms seems to be doing extremely well.

Womball
07-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Nobodies mentioned Tales of Symphonia 2? The first one was great. The one to one thing might be good for a future golf game with more realistic controls. Also wii fencing looked great in that resort game.

Venkman
07-17-2008, 06:36 PM
We are all waiting for a 1:1 lightsaber game. That's all I need! :)

SheepFactory
07-17-2008, 07:30 PM
This is too funny :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0XR7LaJLLf8&fmt=18

heavyness
07-17-2008, 07:34 PM

hi larious !

SheepFactory
07-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Man the internet doesn't lose any time kicking someone who is down :D

http://www.umich.edu/~echapter/lolnintendoe5.gif

I need to clean my monitor now cause I was drinking something when I saw this one.

NME-Se7eN
07-17-2008, 07:53 PM
But gamedevelopers produce what sells best and it seems that on the Wii the hardcore gamers are a niche market. I don´t think that you can blame Nintendo for that.

Yeah, we can. Let's just put it this way, who was it that pushed the console as a pick up and play only device? Who was it that announced three new IPs for the hardcore gamer and proceeded to bury all three? Who was it that gave the people who DON'T use the advanced controls of drifting in Mario Kart a VERY distinct advantage? Who was it who said Animal Crossing is a game for the hardcore?

We can wax poetic about the strengths and weaknesses of the console but considering the barely noticable dent No More Heroes, Zack & Wiki, Okami, and Boom Blox made despite being AAA exclusives supposedly targetted at the niche which was most starved on the console. IF the only hardcore gamer titles that sell on the console have to be made by Nintendo, that's fine. Just make them. My Wii hasn't been booted in over two months. People want to know where the hardcore gamers on Nintendo went... it's fairly simple, really. They bought a 360 or PS3 as well and are among the 10+ million users playing Call Of Duty 4. Therein lies the problem. If Nintendo isn't taking care of their old userbase, someone else will. And when Martha Steward's Living ceases to care about "the cutest most adorable darn game you've ever seen," that support base may be long gone. Fairweather friends and all that.

lovisx
07-17-2008, 08:05 PM
I have a ps3 and a wii side by side. My wife wants to keep the wii for reasons beyond my comprehension. I really want to sell it asap.

ParamountCell
07-17-2008, 10:11 PM
http://kotaku.com/5026475/npd-wii-surpasses-xbox-360-as-new-console-leader-in-us

heavyness
07-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Nintendo on top in sales [passes Xbox 360]...

http://kotaku.com/5026475/npd-wii-surpasses-xbox-360-as-new-console-leader-in-us

ParamountCell
07-17-2008, 11:18 PM
lol didnt i just post that?

SheepFactory
07-17-2008, 11:20 PM

heavyness
07-17-2008, 11:23 PM
lol didnt i just post that?

you did... or did you. maybe we're in some weird time warp or something...?

...or i completely didn't see it.

ParamountCell
07-17-2008, 11:23 PM
hahaha oh boy

Boone
07-17-2008, 11:33 PM
LOL, thinking about it, the only reason I bought a Wii was for the three Metroid Prime games - and two of those were GameCube games!

...theres a ****ing big spider sitting next to my foot...:eek:

...anyway, I'm kinda hoping Nintendo get some decent exclusives like a MSX Metal Gear(and its sequel) remake or something. Dunno, but the only games I got are the Primes, Alien Syndrome and Nights. I'm looking to get Zelda and Force Unleashed but this line up is looking bloody crap so far...

Grim Beefer
07-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Yeah, we can. Let's just put it this way, who was it that pushed the console as a pick up and play only device? Who was it that announced three new IPs for the hardcore gamer and proceeded to bury all three? Who was it that gave the people who DON'T use the advanced controls of drifting in Mario Kart a VERY distinct advantage? Who was it who said Animal Crossing is a game for the hardcore?...

Okami isn't an exclusive. It was published on the PS2 years ago. And if you don't think Animal Crossing is a hardcore game, you obvioulsy haven't seen my girlfriend's hardcore addiction to it for weeks on end... Joking aside, I think Reggie Fils-Aime called Animal Crossing hardcore because it's really a made-up concept that can't be isolated in specific qualities (unlike a FPS, say). I think he considers any game that's immmersive and takes a long time to play through (content wise in the case of Animal Crossing) hardcore. What does it mean, afterall, besides being a marketing ploy to polarize consumers? Does it have to require a lot of skill? Somehow, I don't think Dr. Mario or Donkey Kong (they made a movie about this one! (http://www.billyvssteve.com/)) counts, because my grandma likes these games (literally), even though I gurantee either of these could be an Olympic event. Does it have to take a long time to play it? I often spend 10 minutes in a HL2 deathmatch, now and then, and feel satisfied. Does that mean I'm softcore? Similarly, people often play fighting or sports games for just a couple of minutes, a.k.a. casually. Does it have to be violent or mature in some way? Must it require you to read an instruction manual, speak another language, or otherwise be complex? People throw this word around, despite the fact that it doesn't really mean anything.

Needless to say, I can sit and play Chessmaster, Animal Crossing, or Final Fantasy n for weeks, and they can all be fulfilling activites. However, only of the three counts as a hardcore game for some reason. Kind of silly actually; what happened to just enjoying a game for it's own merits, instead of some meta-quality like hardcore determining whether or not a game is allowed to be praiseworthy. Why not just distinguish between good games and bad ones if we have to use intangible descriptors? After all, this kind of nonsense wasn't around in my formulative days, and no had to to feel awkward about mixing their Mario Paint with their Chrono Trigger.

Nintendo is recieving so much criticism for not catering to the hardcore crowd, but it's a catch-22. If they were attempting to be hardcore then they'd just get ripped apart even more for not having nearly as much horsepower as the other two consoles. If Nintendo had taken the other path, which would be to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft through awesome hardware specs, we would be seeing three versions of GTA, FFXIII, etc.. I wouldn't want three nearly identical consoles, either. This would also mean that the innovative input devices, the foundation of the Wii, would also have been scrapped for a more traditional controller due to production costs.

So what do we have with the Wii? Mainly, a machine that must rely on innovation and non-conformity for it's sales, because it cannot compete in a conservative market. In other words, if Wii developers were putting all of their efforts into traditional FPSs, RPGs, etc., what seem to be labeled hardcore the most often, they would be thrashed by the inevitably superior offerings to be had by Microsoft and Sony. So if you were Nintendo, would you place most of your money on a horse that's sure to lose, or invest in an entirely new market where there are no other horses to race? That's where a game like WiiFit comes in. That being said, they are plenty of entertaining games for the console, no matter what you want to call them, and I, for one, am looking forward to Animal Crossing.

By the way, Wii software sales are doing just fine (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/05/22/wii-smashes-ps2-software-sales-record/), so I don't know where this rumor came from that no one buys Wii games...

ParamountCell
07-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Okami isn't an exclusive. It was published on the PS2 years ago. And if you don't think Animal Crossing is a "hardcore" game, you obvioulsy haven't seen my girlfriend's "hardcore" addiction to this game for weeks on end... Joking aside, I think Reggie Fils-Aime called Animal Crossing "hardcore" because it's really a made-up concept that can't be isolated in specific qualities (unlike a FPS, say). I think he considers any game that's immmersive and takes a long time to play through (contend wise in the case of Animal Crossing) "hardcore". What does it mean, afterall, besides being a marketing ploy to polarize consumers? Does it have to require a lot of skill? Somehow, I don't think Dr. Mario or Donkey Kong (they made a movie about this one! (http://www.billyvssteve.com/)) counts, because my grandma likes these games (literally), even though I gurantee either of these could be an Olympic event. Does it have to take a long time to play it? I often spend 10 minutes in a HL2 deathmatch, now and then, and feel satisfied. Does that mean I'm "softcore"? Similarly, people often play fighting or sports games for just a couple of minutes, a.k.a. casually. Does it have to be violent or mature in some way? Must it require you to read an instruction manual, speak another language, or otherwise be complex? People throw this word around, despite the fact that it doesn't really mean anything.

Needless to say, I can sit and play Chessmaster, Animal Crossing, or Final Fantasy n for weeks, and they can all be fulfilling activites. However, only of the three counts as a "hardcore" game for some reason. Kind of silly actually; what happened to just enjoying a game for it's own merits, instead of some meta-quality like "hardcore" determining whether or not a game is allowed to be praiseworthy. Why not just distinguish between "good" games and "bad" ones if we have to use intangible descriptors? After all, this kind of nonsense wasn't around in my formulative days, and no had to to feel awkward about mixing their Mario Paint with their Chrono Trigger.

Nintendo is recieving so much criticism for not catering to the "hardcore" crowd, but it's a catch-22. If they were attempting to be "hardcore" then they'd just get ripped apart even more for not having nearly as much horsepower as the other two consoles. If Nintendo had taken the other path, which would be to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft through awesome hardware specs, we would be seeing three versions of GTA, FFXIII, etc.. I wouldn't want three nearly identical consoles, either. This would also mean that the innovative input devices, the foundation of the Wii, would also have been scrapped for a more traditional controller due to production costs.

So what do we have with the Wii? Mainly, a machine that must rely on innovation and non-conformity for it's sales, because it cannot compete in a conservative market. In other words, if Wii developers were putting all of their efforts into traditional FPSs, RPGs, etc., what seem to be labeled "hardcore" the most often, they would be thrashed by the inevitably superior offerings to be had by Microsoft and Sony. So if you were Nintendo, would you place most of your money on a horse that's sure to lose, or invest in an entirely new market where there are no other horses to race? That's where a game like WiiFit comes in. That being said, they are plenty of entertaining games for the console, no matter what you want to call them, and I, for one, am looking forward to Animal Crossing.

By the way, Wii software sales are doing just fine (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/05/22/wii-smashes-ps2-software-sales-record/), so I don't know where this rumor came from that no one buys Wii games...

QTA. This is exactly the point.

NME-Se7eN
07-18-2008, 12:36 PM
That's the point? The core gamer was promised three new IPs on the Wii at E3 2006. Let's look at them a moment...

Excite Truck- Not exactly sure how this one got labeled a brand new IP experience but whatever. General feelings from the core gamers and reviews is that it's a fun idea and it's definitely arcady, and yet excessively shallow. Lacking in the depth offered by it's obvious inspiration title, Hydro Thunder. Graphics were plain and uninspired. All in all, a passable effort for a launch title but ONLY passable. Especially compared to Ubisofts drops in the same genre for launch. Compared to those, this was GOTY material.

Project H.A.M.M.E.R.- Gone... it's completely vaporware. After a year plus of silence, they whispered the keebosh on this title.

Day Of Crisis- Well, not completely gone. One occassion, we get a handful of screenshots in a Famitsu or Jump magazine. While it's not dead yet, it's cuddling by a fire with Sadness.

Now, let's take a look at Mario Kart Wii because this game gets FAR too big of a pass. Nintendo said they wanted Mario Kart to be approachable by anyone. This is cool, I'll agree with this. And so they added Automatic mode. What does this do? Well, trims significant amounts of time off your laps and makes it excessively difficult for players who enjoy the old drift style to complete. I didn't believe the claims, but then I shaved ~28 seconds off my race time by using this mode. Imagine a Mario Kart game where the advantage goes to players who don't want to bother with learning to drift... it's on your store shelves right now.

Now, we can wax poetic about what contitutes a hardcore gamer and what doesn't. We can even sit here and debate whether or not Nintendo could compete while Sony and Microsoft if they decided to throw us a bone every now and then. But in the end, that's pretentious BS trying to blur the lines of the problem because, right now, Nintendo DS kicked the ever loving crap out of PSP. IF PSP manages to keep it's current steam in Japan, replicates that steam in all four regions, and DS all but stops selling, PSP can catch up in two years. Take that info, chew it. Mmmmm, tasty, isn't it? Now... would you say DS is a foolish arena for Nintendo to try and compete against Sony for the hardcore gamer market? Because the hardcore gamers tend to prefer DS and buy more games for it than their PSP, if they even have one.

What Nintendo offered to the Core gamer this E3 was Animal Crossing (ask ANY PC gamer if they think Sims is a hardcore game) and a splashscreen for GTA: Chinatown Wars on DS. It's hard not to be upset if the last time you booted your console was months ago and that annoying blue glow is asking you to update. When Shigeru Miyamoto himself says "Wii Music is better than a video game," there is something going wrong.

Also, notice how those video game sales don't differentiate between Nintendo and third parties. It's hard not to get huge software numbers when WiiPlay by itself is approaching 14 million sold.

ThomasMahler
07-18-2008, 12:49 PM

That's just.... perfect!

She's such a weird person with this strange desperation that she hides by trying to smile all the time. That's what you get when you put a marketing person who doesn't really like marketing into a high position at a videogames company.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36821.html

Just feels like she has really no idea what she's actually talking about or what she's doing at Nintendo. Whatever happened to Shigeru Miyamoto to let Nintendo convert to a casual-only company?

NME-Se7eN
07-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Whatever happened to Shigeru Miyamoto to let Nintendo convert to a casual-only company?

I'll agree and jump out of this convo, because there's really nothing I can say on top of that which could express my feelings better.

JYoung
07-18-2008, 03:34 PM
I still wonder what Nintendo's plan for the next console generation is. Grandma and Grandpa aren't going to buy a new system every 6ish years.

Grim Beefer
07-18-2008, 04:17 PM
That's the point? ...Now, we can wax poetic about what contitutes a hardcore gamer and what doesn't. We can even sit here and debate whether or not Nintendo could compete while Sony and Microsoft if they decided to throw us a bone every now and then. But in the end, that's pretentious BS trying to blur the lines of the problem because, right now, Nintendo DS kicked the ever loving crap out of PSP. IF PSP manages to keep it's current steam in Japan, replicates that steam in all four regions, and DS all but stops selling, PSP can catch up in two years. Take that info, chew it. Mmmmm, tasty, isn't it? Now... would you say DS is a foolish arena for Nintendo to try and compete against Sony for the hardcore gamer market? Because the hardcore gamers tend to prefer DS and buy more games for it than their PSP, if they even have one...What Nintendo offered to the Core gamer this E3 was Animal Crossing (ask ANY PC gamer if they think Sims is a hardcore game)...Also, notice how those video game sales don't differentiate between Nintendo and third parties. It's hard not to get huge software numbers when WiiPlay by itself is approaching 14 million sold.

I'd first like to say that I'm also really excited over Pikmin 3. It was also annoucnced correct? I really loved the first two.

Furthermore, I'm a PC gamer, and I don't know what you'd call the Sims, except the best selling video game in history. It doesn't really have the charm of Animal Crossing, but whatever.

That being said, your comparison is a little lacking, because you're not telling the entire story with the portable market. Nintendogs alone has sold more copies than almost all of the "hardcore" million+ DS titles combined (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games). This depends, of course, on how you classify certain games, but that farce was the point of my previous post. You also aren't taking into account the general screwups of the PSP, including the vast amounts of ports/rehashes that constitute the PSP library, many of which are still readily available for the PS2 at retail stores (unlike a lot of the DS ports) - but let's ignore that for now. The sales associated with "hardcore" DS games are really just piggypacked onto the real market, which is for Brain Age, Pokemon, Mario, etc.. Obviously, the DS market is so huge, there's plenty of room for everything. By narrowing our perspective to only consider "hardcore" games, we are missing Nintendo's primary focus, and a proper understanding of why the DS is so popular (it's not because of hardcore gamers). This is similar to the story of the NES vs. the Sega Master System, where a huge software library proved to be superior to better hardware. Much like the DS, the Wii will be a system propelled by casual games, with more "hardcore" titles along for the ride as the user base increases. There may be less of these kinds of games for the Wii, because Wii developers would face more competition in the home console market compared to the portable market. Thus, my point remains that Nintendo couldn't compete with Sony or Microsoft if they inverted their focus, and your example of the DS only supports my argument.

Besides, far from ignoring the hardcore crowd, Nintendo has thrown several "bones" themselves, and it's highly unlikely that we've seen the last of such behavior. Paradoxically, if we want more hardcore titles on the Wii, we should be pushing hard far more casual games! Why? Because casual games sell! As the user base increases, we'll see fallout in the form of hardcore titles, just like the DS.

Finally, I think I'd need a little more evidence before I'd believe that auto is faster than drifting in Mario Kart, as you're the first one I ever heard make that claim. Aren't a lot of the world records done with vehicles that use the drifting option?

ParamountCell
07-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Miyamoto - E3 is no longer an event to showcase core games, Nintendo is currently working on many core titles
July 18th, 2008
Another snippet from the MSNBC Miyamoto interview we posted earlier…

MSNBC: Following on that, it was a risk to come out with a console that deliberately didn’t court hardcore gamers, and with such a different control scheme — particularly after the GameCube (which enjoyed only moderate success). At what point did you know that the risk had paid off?

Miyamoto: The first that I’d want to clarify is that the concept that Wii intentionally does not cater to core gamers is probably a misconception, and perhaps one that’s almost a PR tactic used by some of the other companies to paint us as a company that’s not targeting core gamers. But in fact, while we may not be focusing on the high-end graphics and technology that core gamers would typically be drawn to, the types of games we create, and continue to create, are certainly games that people who play games would certainly want to continue playing.

I think that there’s probably one other element to it, and that’s that our view of how we use E3 has changed. For a very long time, E3 was an event where — and certainly Nintendo included — catered specifically to the core gamer. Now we look at more … an opportunity for us to introduce new concepts and new types of play that we intend to bring to the broader audience, particularly because of the media that gathers at E3 now.

So while attending an E3 event like this, they might be given the impression that Nintendo is no longer focusing on the games that appeal to the core gamer, in fact we’re still working on many of those titles, but it’s just not the type of event where we’ll be showcasing that anymore.

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2008, 09:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.