PDA

View Full Version : 2008 animation reel

aesir
07-11-2008, 06:32 PM
hey, i just put together a really short reel for my site. Check it out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/aeson/testimage0143.jpg

http://www.artofscottjonsson.com/sjreelh264.mov (55 megs. H.264. Save Target As.)

or

Vimeo link: http://www.vimeo.com/1320098 (save my bandwidth)

Im working on making some more animations to make it longer, but a few possible jobs needed to see my stuff now, so this is what i have.

ArminAnim
07-11-2008, 08:36 PM
great job it had a good animation of characters, but there is something about artistic works so animation,that it always could be better ;)

aesir
07-12-2008, 07:18 PM
thanks! Yea, I know it could always be better. Im looking forward to starting some new projects with what I've learned from all the past ones.

UniqueCharacter
07-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Hey yeah theres some kind of compression problem with the direct link from your site - it shows a question mark when I clicked. The other link worked fine.

I know you were in my modeling thread, but I also have been trained in animation and can give you a decent crit.

Some of the work is quite nice, but you have them scattered around. From what I've been told and have read, you should start with your best piece, and end with your second best.

The pirate guy running is the best of the first three works and the guy jumping right after is also really nice. The three pirates is rendered really nice, and the animation quality is pretty good too. I like how you ended with it, but the scene at the very end could be chopped off, although it is part of the story.

Not too shabby though.

ragdoll
07-18-2008, 02:24 AM
hey man checked your reel, based from your clips i couldn't tell which side you're going for animation wise (games or film)...i don't know if i can explain myself well enough but a good example for film reels would be those from AM students...what I saw from yours are mostly cycles...

the cliff jump could use some polish, i saw a pop on one of the legs...i'd take out the skeleton walk...place the animations from that short film in the start...maybe some acting clips? i remember you told me this. :D

not to discourage you...just being honest with what i think, but it doesn't stack up with the recent animation reels, especially seeing lots of AM reels being posted on here. gotta know your competition. :)

aesir
07-18-2008, 02:45 AM
w00t!! Crits!

Thanks guys for the tips.

Unique: thanks I"ll try and rearrange a few pieces, and I agree that last shot shows zero animation, but frankly since I dont have a huge amount of polished pieces, I just wanted to lengthen it out a bit with a shot I liked and would fade out nicely. Thanks for taking the time to post :)

ragdoll: yea, the AM reels that get posted kick all kinds of ass. I am applying to game studios and have been told constantly to include cycles, so I did. Im also applying to a few film shops that I'm a fan of. I know that I definitely need a lip sync anim in there, and while I've done a few, they're pretty old and the quality is lacking, so Im hoping to put one together soon. Frankly, I need quite a few new pieces.

I really do know that my current reel doesnt entirely stack up against a lot of other character animators out there, but I feel confident that my skill is up there. I just need to get some newer work together.

Dont worry about discouraging me. It only reinforces the fact that I need to work harder. (and freaking decide on a specialty to focus on)

andgarber
07-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Hey, I think you have some pretty good stuff on here, I agree that you need a dialogue animation.

I didnt really like the purple guy walkcycle that much, he looks like he would be a really heavy guy but the animation lacks the weight, i think you could get rid of this one and keep the red guy and the running guy with the sword because those are pretty good.

The knees are popping a little bit on the red guy but i think once you fix that it will look better.

The guy that jumps is probably my favorite on there, i think it would be so much better to show him climb back up at the end instead of just cutting to the next animation. You could try to move his root down a bit more right before the jump because its a pretty big jump and he would need more power to get across.

The blue cube guy is good....but i dont think you need it because it doesnt really show any character.

The short film animation was all pretty good, the way you show it though was just kind of strange because it looked like you cut parts out and its not in the correct order.

Anyway...great work, just keep doing new animations and add a couple lip sync animations.

Limponi
07-18-2008, 04:12 PM
really good animation.. and as other people here said... u need to dialoge acting animation...... and it's always their is more better u cad do

waiting u for ur next
best luck

EricDigital
07-20-2008, 08:19 AM
You actually have some really great animation. The only thing I could really say is just work on the way you present the assets, and maybe take a bit of time to get some clean, good looking renders of everything and it would be really awesome. Then again the animation is the focus

keep it up! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2008, 08:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.