PDA

View Full Version : New Demo Reel 2008

GiuseppeGuzzardi
07-11-2008, 03:02 PM
I have finished my Beta of the Modeling and Texturing Demo Reel 2008.

http://www.giuseppeguzzardi.com/demo_reel_2008_beta_low.zip (http://www.giuseppeguzzardi.com/demo_reel_2008_beta_low.zip)

For the first thing I'd love to know if you like it, criticism, comments and recommendations are SuperHelpfull.

Unfortunately I found a serious problem, the movie goes visibly stepwise regardless of the size of the images.
I hope that some of you can help in resolving of the problem, I do not know what to do more.

I give you a little data so you can get an idea of how I worked.

My PC is a quad-core Intel with 4 gig of RAM and a graphics card Nvidia 8800 GTS 512, operating system Vista.
(So a good computer, the possibility that it isnít able to read properly I think it is excluded)
I used After Effects CS3, the compression codec is the 'H 264 Average quality, 30 frames per second.
I tried also with Sorenson 3 but goes even worse and weighs more.
The images are all rendered in a sequence from 3ds Max 2008, saved as a sequence of images, except those that resulting from ZBrush, that are imported in movies uicktime ioioidQuicktime .mov always at 30 frames per second.
The size of the movie are 550x412.

I also want to create a DVD to be sent to the companies.

Apart from what I have done, let me know if you are thinking Iím in the right road and if I use the right workflow and the right all.

Thank you very much in advance for comments and help.

DevIII
07-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Hey, you have some really beautiful stuff.

Some humble suggestions.
I think your strongest piece is the old man picture. Itís kind of hidden in the middle, and it doesn't seem to get a lot of lip service. So I think you should consider really milking that image and definitely moving it to the front.
The car is a cool I just think the old man would make a strong opening, and maybe show off more of the layers to give him some more time. (Like basic mesh, displace/bump, lighting, Ö., diffuse, pan)

the Holland House piece is also really strong and I would encourage you to consider moving that forward as well.

Youíre weakest piece is the exploding building, and it doesn't seem to fit with the other works objectives at all. You should consider cutting it out.

The lizard is a good ending, but the car wouldn't be bad either. I think that a strong ending is almost as importing as a strong start, especially sense this reel is trying to leverage employerís memories. I think that the car piece shows a strong sense of design and a good attention to details and that would be a good way to tie off your reel.

I liked the music but the whole reel felt long and part of that might have been the music.
There are some non licensed music distributers on the internet often called open source music. I use OPSound.org a lot. For me music is the hardest thing to decide on, as you want it to add to you not define or take away. Any who I think this is a bit too slow, you might consider pepping it up a bit something less ceremonial.

I enjoyed looking at this, you might consider adding a higher compressed version to the great portfolio site you have, the download was a bit lengthy

P.S. looks like we have the same computer

earlyworm
07-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Hi Giuseppe,

Great work, it all looks very good, not much to comment on apart from some technical notes...

The wireframe on the tyres of the car looks very dense even through it doesn't look like there is a ton of detail there in the beauty render, so might be worth while to extract displacement maps off the treads on the tyres.

Same goes for the broken edges of the road, all I could see was a ton of polygon faces that probably could be dealt with using displacement maps. Otherwise the modelling on the car and road looks great.

The street environment with the buildings, probably don't need to show the uv checkerboards.

The old man looks like it has a missing edge loop on his back. Also if you've done textures for the guy, show it with a small camera move instead of just a still. It looks great, don't be afraid to show it off in 3D.

Keep up the good work.
-Will

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2008, 12:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.