PDA

View Full Version : MayaPluginWizard (Maya2008) + Visual Studio 2008

MatthiasBuehlmann
07-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Hey there!

I'm using Maya 2008 as well as Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.

I tried to install the pluginwizard as explained in the textfile:

1. Unzip the MayaPluginWizard2.0.zip file.
2. Copy the following files to the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcprojects" directory:
MayaPluginWizard.vsdir
MayaPluginWizard.vsz
MayaPluginWizard.ico
3. Copy the "MayaPluginWizard" directory to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\VCWizards".
4. Start Microsoft Visual Studio 8 and invoke File -> New -> Project -> Visual C++ Projects and select MayaPluginWizard.
5. Enter a name and solution name and select the OK button.

The only difference is that this guide is for Visual Studio 8. i just used it for 2008 (9).
However - after following this steps, nothing happens. instead, the left bottom corner shows the message:

Creating project 'MayaTestProject'... project creation failed.

Did anybody get the PluginWizard to work in Visual Studio 2008? Can somebody tell me how to set it up right?

I've read Robert Batemans guide to setup a pluginproject. however - since there is a Wizard, i'd like to get it to work.

Thank you!

Gravedigger
07-11-2008, 01:28 PM
moinmoin matthias
fit u zwäg? :D
schaffisch du z züri im nä studio?

ok first of all this is how i've done it:
1. unzip the MayaPluginWizard and copy it to the VCWizards directory
2. in the vcprojects directory i've copied the file MayaPluginWizard.ico and the file MayaPluginWizard.vsz
3. create a directory in the vcprojecs directory and call it MayaPluginWizard. copy the file MayaPluginWizard.vsdir into this directory.

try again to create a project. if this still doesn't work please open the file MayaPluginWizard.vsz with a text editor and report what's in it. this is what's in my .vsz file:

VSWIZARD 7.0
Wizard=VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.8.0

Param="WIZARD_NAME = MayaPluginWizard"
Param="FALLBACK_LCID = 1033"

i hope this works!
grs Gravedigger

MatthiasBuehlmann
07-11-2008, 01:47 PM
hey there!

Thank you very much for your help. I created the MayaPluginWizard directory in vcprojects and moved the file MayaPluginWizard.vsdir from vcprojects to that new directory - but the problem persists unfortunately..

that's the content of my MayaPluginWizard.vsz:

VSWIZARD 7.0
Wizard=VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.7.1

Param="WIZARD_NAME = MayaPluginWizard"
Param="FALLBACK_LCID = 1033"

where do i get version 8 of the engine?

any other ideas? i tried it twice (on two different computers) and on both i have the same problem.

thanks

mfg
07-11-2008, 02:14 PM
just edit

Wizard=VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.7.1

to

Wizard=VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.8.0

MatthiasBuehlmann
07-11-2008, 02:26 PM
didn't work either :(

are you also working with visual studio 2008 and maya 2008?

mfg
07-11-2008, 02:41 PM
i cant find the guid i used but this looks better

http://www.highend3d.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=230664&pid=251523&st=0&#entry251523

at nr6. be sure its the right folder:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\Express\VCProjects
this is where i made a mistake... if you are using express that is

edit:
i just saw you are not using express... sry

maybe its Wizard=VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.9.0 since its 8.0 for 2005:D
i am not at my pc i cant check

MatthiasBuehlmann
07-11-2008, 04:33 PM
hey mfg!

yeah! that did do the trick :) thank you very very much!

Keilun
07-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Just a word of caution. Maya 2008 is built with VS 2005 SP1. The VS 2005 SP1 Redist is shipped alongside the Maya 2008 install.

Building plugins using any compiler other than VS 2005 SP1 can cause compatibility issues (crashes, odd memory issues). For that reason it's best to stick with VS 2005 SP1, if you can help it. It might work, but at the same time, you run the risk of strange issues. It is safest to stick to the same compiler that Maya 2008 was released on.

We had this before where a user tried to use VS 2005 on 8.0 which was built on VS 2003. Some plug-ins exhibited odd memory crashes due to having multiple versions of the stdc lib.

Buexe
07-11-2008, 09:47 PM
At first I thought it is okay to use Studio 2008`s compiler but than it turned out that those plug-ins won`t work on other computers, so I returned to studio 2005. Might be that there is a solution, but I think it is safer to stick to the things the Maya docs suggest.

mfg
07-11-2008, 10:42 PM
good to know, thank you

MatthiasBuehlmann
07-11-2008, 10:55 PM
that's a very good info! thank you!

GennadiyKorol
07-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Why using wizards anyway? I found that taking some example plug-in visual studio project files as reference and modifying the names inside (those are basically xml files, easy to hand-edit) are a much better start.

Especially if you will then later need to add configurations for different maya versions (ie, 64 bit, earlier version, etc). In that case you can just copy paste parts of the xml from one project to another.

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2008, 12:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.