PDA

View Full Version : SoftBody Panel Clarifications

Julez4001
07-10-2008, 03:43 PM
HEY FRED!

In the manual, some of the tools explain what the difference between 0 and 1 but others don't and when it comes to Struct, Shear, etc..what does the 10.0 mean if you go up or down....

Fluid Density: Sets the density of the atmosphere that the object is moving through. For example, you can set this to be thick, like water, or thin like air. The higher the number, the "thicker" the atmosphere.
Damping: Sets the damping of the movement-- how quickly it stops jiggling or waving, or whatever.

Global Weight: The weight of the points in the object. A positive number will make it weigh more, a negative weights will make it float.

Internal Pressure: An imaginary force that comes from within the object that pushes out toward the surface normals of the points. Picture a hot air balloon: a gust of wind will push in and deform it, but the pressure of the hot air inside the balloon pushes it back out into its original shape.

Gravity Scale: Adjusts the effect of gravity. For example, a setting of 1 is normal gravity, and a setting of .5 means half of normal gravity.

Spring Damping: Sets the damping specific to the direction that the soft body stretches in.

Collision Radius: Lets you fine tune where the collision happens, whether it happens exactly at the points or at a distance away. Basically it's a tolerance distance for how far away from the actual point the collision will hit. Think of it as a sphere around the points in the object; the smaller the sphere the closer to the points the collision will happen.

How does the Collision Objects setting of bounce and friction relate to the above settings?

Julez4001
07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Okay how about this:
I want to minimize the bounce in my softbody, whatstehbesttechnique?
Anybody got ecperience in really dampening the effect because "DAMPING" is not doing its job unless its relative to something else.

I habve summarize that Global Weight, Internal Pressure and Gravity Scale plays a part but is it alwasy so? I want a thick cotton cloth feel and I amgetting a blubbery effect most of the time.

catizone
07-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Perhaps higher fluid density and weight....possibly with some massaging in the gravity...

Not quite sure what you mean by "blubbery". More elastic than you want? Too light and reactionary?

Best,
Rick

Julez4001
07-11-2008, 08:34 PM
oo light and reactionary?

Best,
Rick

You kniow if it was a way to fade the softbody effect via a slider then i would have a winner.

rush123
07-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Jules,

I can give some help when I'm back in the UK, but thats not for 2 weeks or so.

R

Julez4001
07-12-2008, 02:47 AM
Take whatever you can when you you can

catizone
07-12-2008, 03:48 AM
Struct (Structural Rigidity): Sets how well the object will maintain its original shape. A high structural rigidity will maintain its shape better than a low one. The two fields to the right let you set a variation range.

Shear (Shear Rigidity): Sets the resistance to shearing, which is a twisting at polygon connection points. The two fields to the right let you set a variation range.

Flex (Flex Rigidity): Sets the resistance to flexing, which is the flattening out of polygon connection points. The two fields to the right let you set a variation range.

these might also help determining the proper "material" action...

Ulven
07-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Perhaps spring damping is what you want. As it dampens the motion quite well.
Also, in some cases, Hold in small values can be helpful as it makes it attempt to maintain it's shape and get back to it.
http://www.usefulslug.com/forums/SoftBodyTest.mov

Julez4001
07-14-2008, 03:45 PM
What values did you use in your hold?

Ulven
07-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Very low values usually, in the region of 0.1 to 0.5. It is all very scene dependant. Play it, and if it doesn't look good, change it gradually. When you get a decent preview while playing, it's worth switching to doing proper playblasts and adjusting it more, dynamics then will be evaluated more correctly. It may be worth working with the stretch corrections and time sub samples as well (I often set them to 5 and 5).

Julez4001
07-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks Ulven, just saw your video andthat would have answer it.
The girl in the finger deformation thread is what I want some cloth dynamics ona nd i finally got some great settings. I had to tweak the mesh as well to make sure to keep the shirt from sliding into the legs and such but I got 88% of the bounciness out using extremely high numbers and low numbers in those settings.

We should all post some images and setting for future reference for other other ppl.
skirts, capes, wings, fins, etc

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2008, 12:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.