PDA

View Full Version : Un-Official CG Talk Meet-up

jeremybirn
07-10-2008, 03:08 PM
As usual, Cgtalk members are organizing an un-official CGTalk Meet-up this year.

WHO CAN COME:
Everyone is invited. Even though some people will be ordering drinks, you do not have to be 21 to come and eat there. Please reply to this thread so we can estimate how many people are planning to come.

Bonaventure Brewing Company (http://www.bbc2go.com/)
Corner of Figueroa & 5th Street
404 South Figueroa Street Los Angeles , California 90071
This restaurant is inside the Westin Bonaventure Hotel (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1004&EM=VTY_WI_bonaventure_1004_overview)

You can take a SIGGRAPH shuttle bus from the Convention Center to the Westin Bonaventure. Or take a taxi to the Westin Bonaventure. It is near to the convention center and other hotels.

TIME:
SUNDAY AUGUST 10
8pm ---

FOOD AND DRINK:
We are meeting at a restaurant/bar, so you can buy whatever food or drink you want. This is a better place to get food than the convention center or many of the hotels, and they brew their own beer.

This is not an official event of any organization. This is not sponsored by cgsociety. CGTalk members are just using this forum to plan an un-official get-together.

-jeremy

malducin
07-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Since the SIGGRAPH schedule is particularly messy this year I would prefer Sunday afternoon/evening.

MasterZap
07-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Since the SIGGRAPH schedule is particularly messy this year I would prefer Sunday afternoon/evening.

I'm busy sunday 3.30PM to 4PM and 6PM to 7.30PM.

8PM sunday? 7PM (and I miss the 1st bit)?

I can't miss my (by now traditional) CGTalk dinner with Jeremy ;)

/Z

csmallfield
07-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I would definitely be down to hang with you guys, it was a lot of fun last year.

ACamacho
07-10-2008, 06:45 PM
I am game. Would like to put a face to some of you guys. :) Sunday or Monday is great with me.

MasterZap
07-10-2008, 07:17 PM
I would definitely be down to hang with you guys, it was a lot of fun last year.

Lol, Chris, Jeremy, me, we're only missing GnarlyCranium to complete our table from last year ;)

/Z

ANasir
07-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I'd love to meet up with the crowd from here.... would be my first siggraph and so far the 13th and 14th are out for me but pretty flexible otherwise.

Rebeccak
07-10-2008, 09:36 PM
I think Jason / Bonedaddy was thinking of organizing this, but can't speak for him (sent him the link). Wouldn't be able to make lunches during the week unless they were after 2 pm (after 2 pm on Monday would be good for me) and Monday evening (7-10 pm) is out for me, but Sundays are free. Looking forward to catching up Jeremy. :)

RockinAkin
07-10-2008, 10:32 PM
I can make sunday night as well - so we've got the major players down. ;)

I'm also down for the usual friday night 'adios' dinner.

Fess
07-10-2008, 10:51 PM
All welcome?

I would enjoy that social atmosphere..

-Fess

Bonedaddy
07-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Let's do Sunday at 8 pm. I'll make reservations once we've had the thread open a bit and we have a good idea of head count.

So if you're coming, please say so, and how many people you're bringing.

Everyone who's already said they're coming, I've already counted you.

mabuffaloe
07-11-2008, 03:28 AM
Woohoo! Count me in :) Plus one more..... can't wait!

PaulHellard
07-11-2008, 03:30 AM
I'll be there!

Straight off a plane from Australia, but I'll be there.

Rebeccak
07-11-2008, 03:36 AM
Yay - Paul and the unicorn / Melissa - sweet. :)

mummey
07-11-2008, 03:42 AM
Ok, in.

(character limit bs la la la....)

jeremybirn
07-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Let's do Sunday at 8 pm. I'll make reservations once we've had the thread open a bit and we have a good idea of head count.

So if you're coming, please say so, and how many people you're bringing.

Everyone who's already said they're coming, I've already counted you.

OK, great. Thanks for taking-on the reservations. My wife and I will both be there, so put us down for two.

I edited my post at the top of the thread so all the info will be there.

I'm looking forwards to seeing everyone!

-jeremy

Rebeccak
07-11-2008, 05:08 AM
Aww, congrats Jeremy! :) Was this the same chickadee from Gnomon Live?

jeremybirn
07-11-2008, 05:19 AM
Aww, congrats Jeremy! :) Was this the same chickadee from Gnomon Live?

Thanks. Yes. We're looking forwards to seeing you again, Rebecca!

-jeremy

Bonedaddy
07-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Yeah, dude! Congrats!

RockinAkin
07-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Yeah, congrats there Jeremey. :)

malducin
07-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Count me in as well.

Congrats Jeremy as well.

Youpi
07-11-2008, 01:39 PM
I'll be there with my girlfriend ! (She's director of 'Immersion Graphique', CG pdf French magazine)

Nice to meet you soon :bounce:

Irie
07-11-2008, 02:28 PM
I'll definitely be there.

Intervain
07-11-2008, 03:33 PM
:banghead::cry::cry::cry: I'm flying in on Monday.... *whines*

aglick
07-11-2008, 05:29 PM
add me to the list !

hell, I'll buy a round...

robolt
07-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Please count me in.

My fifth SIGGRAPH.

3D Programmer with some art background looking to change careers move into film and animation. Maybe in the tools, R&D or core library areas. Would love to meet and greet.

cheers,
...robert

mkapfhammer
07-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Oh, wow! Congrats, Jeremy!

I'll be there right after the Softimage Production Challenge wraps... or at 9pm - whatever happens first. :P

Titus
07-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Count me in as well.

Ok, so I think I must to go too :D. And thanks to this thread for remind me to change the plane ticket to the 10th from 11th.

Titus
07-12-2008, 04:51 PM
double post

BColbourn
07-14-2008, 07:01 AM
there isn't any chance of a 2nd meet-up later in the week is there? only asking because my flight doesn't arrive until wednesday and would love to meet some cgtalk'ers.

mikostar
07-14-2008, 09:44 AM
count me in!
possibly 3 more might come with me.

polyoptix
07-14-2008, 10:43 PM
I'll be there, and 2 industry pals with me if thats ok!

malducin
07-14-2008, 11:43 PM
there isn't any chance of a 2nd meet-up later in the week is there? only asking because my flight doesn't arrive until wednesday and would love to meet some cgtalk'ers.

Sometimes some people have a final meet up the last day after SIGGRAPH ends. Many people leave straight to the airport but a few might do something that last evening. Don't know about last year but 2 years ago in Boston Roberto and others organized a farewell meet-up.

TriGirl55
07-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Im definitely interested, and if i can come, I will bring probably just one other, maybe two, depending on where everyone is staying. This sounds great, Id love to start off my second round of Siggraph with a bang! Can't wait to meet people, Im really psyched!

Rebeccak
07-17-2008, 08:50 PM
I may have a few students in tow, maybe 5 or 6?

Bonedaddy
07-17-2008, 08:54 PM
I may have a few students in tow, maybe 5 or 6?

UNACCEPTABLE.

...kidding.

Rebeccak
07-17-2008, 08:57 PM
:o

rAT--mAN
07-17-2008, 09:15 PM
I'll be there, looking forward to it!

juanferx7
07-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Count me in, 3rd siggraph but my first CGtalk meeting... :bounce::bounce::bounce:

kevb3d
07-18-2008, 12:33 AM
Count me in, I'd love to meet the people behind these posts I've been reading for years. That and it would give me a good excuse to finally check out that glassy round building I see while sitting on the 110 every day.

Kev

splintercannon
07-18-2008, 01:55 AM
Sounds fun! I'll be there.

chrisWhite
07-18-2008, 05:49 PM
I'll be there and I'll probably have three others with me.

jzubiaga
07-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Count me in,

See you there.

angrias
07-19-2008, 01:19 AM
If I am able to get up there, you can count me in. I'd love a chance to meet everyone.

Fess
07-19-2008, 05:48 PM
As usual, Cgtalk members are organizing an un-official CGTalk Meet-up this year.

WHO CAN COME:
Everyone is invited. Even though some people will be ordering drinks, you do not have to be 21 to come and eat there. Please reply to this thread so we can estimate how many people are planning to come.

Bonaventure Brewing Company (http://www.bbc2go.com/)
Corner of Figueroa & 5th Street
404 South Figueroa Street Los Angeles , California 90071
This restaurant is inside the Westin Bonaventure Hotel (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1004&EM=VTY_WI_bonaventure_1004_overview)

You can take a SIGGRAPH shuttle bus from the Convention Center to the Westin Bonaventure. Or take a taxi to the Westin Bonaventure. It is near to the convention center and other hotels.

TIME:
SUNDAY AUGUST 10
8pm ---

FOOD AND DRINK:
We are meeting at a restaurant/bar, so you can buy whatever food or drink you want. This is a better place to get food than the convention center or many of the hotels, and they brew their own beer.

This is not an official event of any organization. This is not sponsored by cgsociety. CGTalk members are just using this forum to plan an un-official get-together.

-jeremy

This establishment is nestled uptop a sturcture, nice choice.
Menu selection is great for a health nut like me :p

Don't know the vibe in LA, I'm a new yorker and some places are annoyingly picky.
Will this place require a dress code or is it a casual affair??

-Fess

Rebeccak
07-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Don't know the vibe in LA, I'm a new yorker and some places are annoyingly picky.
Will this place require a dress code or is it a casual affair??

-FessFrom what I recall it's pretty casual, most of us show up wearing typical conference gear / tshirts and shorts. It might be a bit cooler at night so you may want jeans but it's really not a fancy place (think a couple of notches above Bennigan's / TGIF).

Fess
07-19-2008, 06:11 PM
From what I recall it's pretty casual, most of us show up wearing typical conference gear / tshirts and shorts. It might be a bit cooler at night so you may want jeans but it's really not a fancy place (think a couple of notches above Bennigan's / TGIF).

Got ya.
Guess I'm just biased to 90210 when I think "LA". :cool:

-Fess

SynapticGraphics
07-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Count me in :beer:

MasterZap
07-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Unless it was obvious, I'll try to be there.

Whats funny is that people seem to have forgotten Siggraph has a *friday* this year; I have a schedule loaded with stuff all week... and friday is totally open. Weird. :)

/Z

mehma
07-21-2008, 06:40 PM
count me in too.....may have a couple of my classmates from NYU too

RockinAkin
07-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Yep, for those that wont be around for the Sunday night meetup...

We usually get together to have one last dinner together on the friday night after Siggraph finishes up. A little less organized than the 'unoffical' meetup, but still get a decent turnout.

It'll probably be at the Bonaventure Brewing Co. too.

MartyrX
07-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Count me in for Sunday...

I don't really know anyone from these boards and it would be nice to make a few new friends.

johnnypark
07-26-2008, 04:31 PM
The same applies to me, so I'll come,

mayaartist
07-28-2008, 03:35 PM
I was at the one last year at the Marriot and really enjoyed it, look forward to hangin out again and meeting some people I have never met before

Mark-J
07-31-2008, 08:15 AM
Count me in, although my plane doesn't touch down till 7.30!

Bonedaddy
07-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Count me in, although my plane doesn't touch down till 7.30!

Um, unless you're coming from the Burbank airport, I kind of doubt you'll make it. It takes at least a half hour to get out of LAX with your luggage, and then another hour or so to get downtown, via shuttle or bus.

chloedo
08-01-2008, 06:38 AM
I'll try to make it too :)
We might be 2 :)

Mark-J
08-01-2008, 08:41 AM
seriously, that long from LAX! I was just going to grab a taxi but if it's that far off I should look at alternatives. Thanks for the heads-up.

Bonedaddy
08-02-2008, 04:13 AM
I'm going to be making the reservations on Sunday. With such a large group of people, I'm sure some people are going to flake, and some people will show up unannounced, so it's all good.

Some basic rules:

Show up earlier if you want your food faster. I'll probably be there starting a half hour beforehand.
Try not to specially order anything. The wait staff are going to have a hell of a time dealing with all of us, and we should meet them halfway.
Please bring cash. Splitting up the bill across a bunch of credit cards is going to be a nightmare.
For those of you not from the States, it's customary to give some extra money to the wait staff as a tip. This restaurant has always been very generous and accomodating to us in the past, so I would encourage you to tip well. 15% of the bill is standard, 20-25% is generous.
If you can, bring a picture of your avatar. I will get some name tags that you can write your name down on, but I won't be printing up everyone's avatars.
See you all there!

KimLeow
08-02-2008, 09:42 PM
i would love to join in :)
thanks for inviting

X..
08-03-2008, 03:04 PM
I'll be coming!

MasterZap
08-03-2008, 05:04 PM
I'll be coming!

"That's what she said"

* instantrimshot.com (http://instantrimshot.com) *

/Z

MartyrX
08-03-2008, 05:56 PM
haha.. beat me to it

well done, sir.

ekunzendorf
08-04-2008, 01:09 AM
I will certainly try to make it

Bonedaddy
08-04-2008, 03:33 AM
We're up to around 50 people at this point. I'm estimating around 40 people will actually show up, having done this a couple times before -- and that we're really only going to have 30-35 at any one time.

I tried setting up reservations today, but the guy who answered the phone freaked out at the number of people, and said I should talk to his manager... so, doing that tomorrow.

Fun times!

Rebeccak
08-04-2008, 03:45 AM
Haha, yeah you have to gently massage them into letting a group of our size into their establishment. ;) Just promise that it's nothing but a group of friendly geeks, maybe then they'll come around. :)

mayaartist
08-04-2008, 05:02 AM
I'm bringing five so increase the reservations if you don't mind. I had a great time last year, want to be there again with a few digital artist friends.

Corey

weng888
08-04-2008, 06:57 AM
can i come tooo ... i'm from the philippines and i don't really know anyone ...

Titus
08-04-2008, 02:35 PM
We're up to around 50 people at this point. I'm estimating around 40 people will actually show up, having done this a couple times before -- and that we're really only going to have 30-35 at any one time.

I tried setting up reservations today, but the guy who answered the phone freaked out at the number of people, and said I should talk to his manager... so, doing that tomorrow.

Fun times!

I remember last year when arrived very late and asked the staff of the bar for "a group of maybe fifteen people", they said: fifteen? you mean like fifty!

X..
08-04-2008, 03:19 PM
"That's what she said"

/Z

Hahaha! I'll bring some girls to the meeting then:)

X..
08-04-2008, 03:21 PM

You know me Sherwin! :) It's me dave!

jeremybirn
08-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Everyone doesn't want to be on the same tab anyway, so if you reserve for a smaller number, then more people can just come in to other tables. That way, instead of an unusually large party, it'll just seem like business is good for a Sunday night.

Hey Sher - I was just putting your Film Noir scene into the latest lighting challenge gallery. Congratulations & see you soon!

-jeremy

TriGirl55
08-04-2008, 03:39 PM
This is going to be awesome. Looks like a really big group! I'm pretty psyched to meet everyone. Haha, See you all in less than a WEEK!

RobertoOrtiz
08-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Well Looking forward to seeing you guys.

Maybe we should generate some sort of image the wear in our name tags, so we can tell apart the cgtalkers.

-R

juanferx7
08-04-2008, 04:08 PM
We should print our avatars, just to increase the geek feeling! :thumbsup:

AIR
08-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Im landing in LA, at 19:00 hours,,, so I wont be able to get there, cos I need to check into Hotel, which is
KYOTO GRAND HOTEL & GARDENS
And I dont know, how far is it from meet up place and so on.
Ahhh well, hopefully Il see some of you people arround at convention center if I dont make it.
Il print my avatar on my shirt surely....

AIR
08-04-2008, 07:40 PM
I just found out, its about 25 minutes walking distance from my hotel.
Il try to be there.

God bless google maps:)

MrPositive
08-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Ok, after discussing it with my colleague, we are in. I have to give him some shwag now. :(

Cryptite
08-04-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm in! Probably bring a friend or two as well. I'll be stalking zap all night. He doesn't know it yet, though. :D

Bonedaddy
08-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Minor update: Been talking to the Bonaventure manager... she says it's doable, but difficult. She's getting back to me with some more details in a bit.

Basically, I made the following executive decisions, because getting all of you to vote on anything is going to be very hard:

Sitting inside. Outside would require that we pay $250, and I don't want to go through the whole matter of "is everyone willing to chip in $5?" and be stuck paying $50 at the end.
We're ordering from the menu, instead of a smaller set menu -- I don't know what dietary restrictions you all have, and I don't want to have to deal with people whining because there's something that's not on the menu.
AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE ARE GOING TO PAY CASH. THERE ARE ATMS THERE. BREAK OUT A CREDIT CARD AT YOUR PERIL.

Fess
08-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Minor update: Been talking to the Bonaventure manager... she says it's doable, but difficult. She's getting back to me with some more details in a bit.

Basically, I made the following executive decisions, because getting all of you to vote on anything is going to be very hard:

Sitting inside. Outside would require that we pay $250, and I don't want to go through the whole matter of "is everyone willing to chip in $5?" and be stuck paying $50 at the end.
We're ordering from the menu, instead of a smaller set menu -- I don't know what dietary restrictions you all have, and I don't want to have to deal with people whining because there's something that's not on the menu.
AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE ARE GOING TO PAY CASH. THERE ARE ATMS THERE. BREAK OUT A CREDIT CARD AT YOUR PERIL.

Considering it will be Sunday, guessing LA natives should most likey be home with family. Unless the vibe differs in the city of angels.

Less busy>Bonaventure is wise to cater our gathering and put their kids through college all in on night :o)

I think this resturant is privately owned so perhaps they don't have the extra employees for the masses.

Anyway, nice organization Jason.

Bonedaddy
08-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Okay, reservations are in, so we're good to go. She's emailing me final details, but the way it'll be set up:

8 people per table.
One check per table.
Sitting inside.
Only two forms of payment accepted per table, so only one person per table can be a douche and pay with a card.
They're expecting 50 people, which I think should be about right, considering that people will drop out, come late, be unable to find it, etc.
So we're good. I'll be there wearing a black t-shirt with Jack Skellington on it, that says BONE DADDY. Also, I look like my avatar. If anyone needs a lifeline, PM me and I'll send you my cell or email address. I'll be checking emails pretty regularly with my cell phone.

In closing, I must stress two things to all of you:

PAY WITH CASH.
TIP HEAVILY.
See you all there!

TriGirl55
08-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Works for me! Yea, definitely. Thanks for organizing all of this! Im excited....

X..
08-05-2008, 04:56 AM
...Also, I look like my avatar. If anyone needs a lifeline, PM me and I'll send you my cell or email address. I'll be checking emails pretty regularly with my cell phone.

Ok.. i'll look for a winking smiling guy then i'll know it's you :p

PaulHellard
08-05-2008, 05:20 AM
Unless it was obvious, I'll try to be there.

Whats funny is that people seem to have forgotten Siggraph has a *friday* this year; I have a schedule loaded with stuff all week... and friday is totally open. Weird. :)

/Z

Same here. It's nuts-crazy all week, and then on Friday, I can hear the crickets chirping.

powerwave3d
08-05-2008, 11:55 AM
We are staying at the hotel for the week and have to eat so I'll definitely be down there:)

TriGirl55
08-05-2008, 12:08 PM
I have the same situation on Friday, so if anyone wants to hang out, I have one shift, and then I'm free! We can all chat about it @ the meetup or something. Just putting it out there!

malducin
08-05-2008, 06:43 PM
seriously, that long from LAX! I was just going to grab a taxi but if it's that far off I should look at alternatives. Thanks for the heads-up.

Actually a taxi would be the best option to getting downtown fast. You might still find quite a few people down there. Last year we went there after the Sake Barrel thingy and still found quite a few people.

Besides it's Sunday night so traffic should be more decent.

I have the same situation on Friday, so if anyone wants to hang out, I have one shift, and then I'm free! We can all chat about it @ the meetup or something. Just putting it out there!

If it's right after the last event on Friday (5:30pm) no problem. I'm flying out Friday night and the traffic will probably be horrible.

chloedo
08-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Woohhooo !! I can't wait and will definetly make it sunday (we'll be 2 but i already said it) !
1st siggraph here as well and just recently moved from montreal to LA.

And would be up for something after the last event (5:30) at siggraph on friday aswell.

Can't wait ! Can't wait ! Can't wait !!!

I need to shoot an avatar :P
.... There you go :P

RobertoOrtiz
08-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Well looking forward to meeting all of you.

I will be wearing a RED Nats cap!

-R

Jadetiger
08-06-2008, 03:33 AM
I too will come clothed.... I can't plan my wardrobe that far in advance.

Titus
08-06-2008, 04:40 AM
I'll be wearing some pens on my shirt.

Fess
08-06-2008, 06:22 AM
You guys and gals can give the menu a once over if u so desire:

http://www.bbc2go.com/menu_dinner.asp

I already know what I'll be having :beer:

-Fess

X..
08-06-2008, 10:44 AM

My Friday is empty also but too bad my flight is at 8pm:( I will probably go shopping or get a drink. Someone mentioned heavy traffic on Friday, so i better get goin early.

Titus
08-06-2008, 01:34 PM
My Friday is empty also but too bad my flight is at 8pm:( I will probably go shopping or get a drink. Someone mentioned heavy traffic on Friday, so i better get goin early.

Last yeart it took me an hour and a half from Hollywood Bvd to the airport.

Bonedaddy
08-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Last yert it took me an hour and a half from Hollywood Bvd to the airport.

Seriously? What route did you take? Do you remember?

Titus
08-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Seriously? What route did you take? Do you remember?

Seriously, the freeway was very, very slow. I had a considerable amout of luggage, otherwise I would have taken the subway.

malducin
08-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Seriously, the freeway was very, very slow. I had a considerable amout of luggage, otherwise I would have taken the subway.

That's what I'm afraid of, and since you have to be at least a couple of hours before your flight leaves, it leaves little time after SIGGRAPH ends on Friday. We'll see...

Bonedaddy
08-06-2008, 02:59 PM
They recently came up with this:

http://www.lawa.org/flyaway/

An express bus between LAX and Union Station, downtown. It uses special bus lanes on the freeway, and ends up being faster than rail, because it doesn't require so many transfers. Union Station is a bit away from the Bonaventure, but not too awful. You could definitely take a taxi from there to wherever you need.

X..
08-06-2008, 03:05 PM

Hmm. i have 2 luggages. Can i take the subway? What's the nearest station to the convention center?

Bonedaddy
08-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Hmm. i have 2 luggages. Can i take the subway? What's the nearest station to the convention center?

You can, but it's going to be a little difficult. The subway doesn't go straight to the airport -- you have to transfer 2 or 3 times. There are express buses that go there directly.

The nearest subway stop to the convention center is at 7th and Metro. You can get to and from the convention center from that subway stop by taking a DASH bus. It costs $.25, if I recall correctly.

JeremyK
08-06-2008, 08:10 PM
You can, but it's going to be a little difficult. The subway doesn't go straight to the airport -- you have to transfer 2 or 3 times. There are express buses that go there directly.

The nearest subway stop to the convention center is at 7th and Metro. You can get to and from the convention center from that subway stop by taking a DASH bus. It costs $.25, if I recall correctly.

Hey Jason,

Is that faster / better than taking the blue line south from 7th / metro to Pico and walking up to the convention center?

Bonedaddy
08-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey Jason,

Is that faster / better than taking the blue line south from 7th / metro to Pico and walking up to the convention center?

DASH is cheaper, unless you have a day pass. I think it may be more frequent, too, but don't know. Blue Line is faster, though.

malducin
08-06-2008, 09:04 PM
They recently came up with this:

http://www.lawa.org/flyaway/

An express bus between LAX and Union Station, downtown. It uses special bus lanes on the freeway, and ends up being faster than rail, because it doesn't require so many transfers. Union Station is a bit away from the Bonaventure, but not too awful. You could definitely take a taxi from there to wherever you need.

Ahhh excellent. Last time I went downtown LA I remember seeing that (not sure if it was fully operational yet at that point). This certainly simplifies things, might be a lot cheaper and faster than taking just a taxi to LAX.

Thanks Jason!

Rebeccak
08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
I thought I'd post up a group picture from last year - that's me, bottom right:

http://www.revengeofthenerds.com/images/nerds.gif

Bonedaddy
08-06-2008, 11:31 PM

Becca's kidding, of course. Here's an actual picture from last year:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/sksloanski/Other%20SciFi%202/rn_goonies2_061101_ssh.jpg

She's on the bottom left.

Titus
08-07-2008, 12:08 AM

Hey! I'm there, I'm there!

Fess
08-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Chunk?

:o)

Rebeccak
08-07-2008, 06:10 AM
Hey! I'm there, I'm there!Haha, perfect!

Jason, I had so much more fun with Indy... :(

X..
08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Okey... I'm having second thoughts of going now.. I'll just hit the strip bars :)

MrPositive
08-07-2008, 09:26 PM
http://www.revengeofthenerds.com/images/nerds.gif

Einhorn is a Man!!

Edit: And for those that don't get that joke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSPtSEIlp8A

Rebeccak
08-08-2008, 05:21 AM
Einhorn is a Man!!

Edit: And for those that don't get that joke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSPtSEIlp8A;)

X.. come, we're harmless. :) Well, except for Jason.

Toonerstan
08-08-2008, 07:54 AM
My wife and I will be coming - 3rd Siggraph for me, 1st time for this - heard about it from chrisWhite on twitter. I wrote a motion graphics cartoon FX plugin called ToonIt, which Red Giant is currently distributing. Looking forward to good food and conversation after long plane flight.

X..
08-08-2008, 04:06 PM
;)

Ok.. I'll come :) I need to buy a nerd outfit tomorrow !..

Cryptite
08-08-2008, 05:57 PM
I'll be wearing this t-shirt for the dinner:

http://www.bustedtees.com/f1rst

robolt
08-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Safe travels.

jpiette
08-09-2008, 04:25 PM
w0000000t! Count me in!

visualz
08-09-2008, 04:53 PM
gonna try to make it over after some setups/practice

//gD

Ashford_Butler
08-09-2008, 09:09 PM
AAARRHHHH!!! won't be there until Monday mid day. I was really looking forward to meeting Rebecca , Jeremy and everyone else. It's even at the hotel we are staying in. I will still get my chance to bug Master Zap (taking all of your Master Classes). A little off subject but does anyone know if you can bring a video camera to the Autodesk MasterClass Events?

MrPositive
08-09-2008, 10:45 PM
A little off subject but does anyone know if you can bring a video camera to the Autodesk MasterClass Events?

Very very doubtful.

malducin
08-10-2008, 01:42 AM
;) X.. come, we're harmless. :) Well, except for Jason.

Not if this guy shows up:

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9967/ogrezc3.th.jpg (http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ogrezc3.jpg)

Ogre! Ogre! Ogre!

namnum
08-10-2008, 03:23 AM
I'll try to make it! =) and try to bring along 5 peeps

Climax
08-10-2008, 06:56 AM
DAMN I m very close and today is sunday!! but is 12:00 am!!

IS IT SOMEBODY STAYING AT THE CECIL HOTEL?

Fess
08-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Pool felt good.

See you guys in a few hours.

-Fess (Refreshed)

X..
08-11-2008, 12:16 AM
DAMN I m very close and today is sunday!! but is 12:00 am!!

IS IT SOMEBODY STAYING AT THE CECIL HOTEL?

I'm staying at Cecil Hotel on S Main Street. This area is scary ! I gotta buy a gun!

X..
08-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Not if this guy shows up:

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9967/ogrezc3.th.jpg (http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ogrezc3.jpg)

Ogre! Ogre! Ogre!

Bah...I can kick his ass. I know Shoalin kung Fu! :)

MarcTH
08-11-2008, 01:59 AM
Hard to stay awake...For the European one, I guess I'm not the only one who slept 3 hours last might...Woke up at 3 am, Zap did better from what I could see on Twit he woke up at 1:00.
I guess if I'm not down on my bed by 1 hours I'll be there
By the way, there's also an Autodesk private party at the pool....

See you

X..
08-11-2008, 07:58 AM
;)

Oh man! I thought you were a guy from your avatar! hahah! I'm so dumb :)
Must be the Jet lag.. Yeah .. the Jet lag.. :p

Rebeccak
08-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Oh man! I thought you were a guy from your avatar! hahah! I'm so dumb :)
Must be the Jet lag.. Yeah .. the Jet lag.. :pNo worries :) pretty funny actually ;) - did I meet you just as you were coming in, with a suitcase? So many people, a great turnout. :) We need a bigger venue next year, and maybe some official support. :p

Malducin I think I saw headed out - too bad we missed an opportunity to reminisce about Revenge of the Nerds. ;)

Bonedaddy
08-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks all of you for coming out. Good to put faces to names! At our biggest, I went around and did a headcount, and came out at 72. But given how many people came and went throughout the night, I'd say we were close to 100, all told.

The wait staff specifically came up and thanked me for our business, and said we were a good group to work with. So right on, guys. Way to be civil. :)

jpiette
08-11-2008, 05:34 PM
We were a good group to work with? The poor waitress and waiters looked like like their hair was about to turn gray! :beer:

All in all it was great fun, it was very nice meeting everyone!

MrPositive
08-11-2008, 08:57 PM
I think Bonedaddy touched me appropriately last night. So it must have been a stellar night. I do think the Bonaventure Brewery would like to send cgtalk.com a nice virus of death however. Regardless, definitely great to put the avs with the faces on many peeps.

kevb3d
08-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Last night was very, very cool, and my beer was very, very heavy, and I wish I got to meet more of you. Those of you whom I met were really cool! I started losing my voice from talking so loudly, and today it's partially gone.

The wait staff loved us.

Kev

Rebeccak
08-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I think Bonedaddy touched me appropriately last night. So it must have been a stellar night.He touched you appropriately? :curious: I hope that was a hi-five.

MrPositive
08-11-2008, 09:59 PM
He touched you appropriately? :curious: I hope that was a hi-five.

A handshake followed by a cheers I believe. :)

Bonedaddy
08-11-2008, 10:28 PM
A handshake followed by a cheers I believe. :)

A fist bump? A pound? A terrorist fist jab?

MrPositive
08-12-2008, 12:30 AM
A fist bump? A pound? A terrorist fist jab?

The only terrorist fist jab you'll get is when I cut you in line for that Pixar teapot tomorrow.

gnarlycranium
08-15-2008, 01:00 AM
Here's an actual picture from last year:...Good god, man, are you trying to KILL me???

RobertoOrtiz
08-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Becca's kidding, of course. Here's an actual picture from last year:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/sksloanski/Other%20SciFi%202/rn_goonies2_061101_ssh.jpg

She's on the bottom left.

Goonies never say die!

Jason is that you in the middle?
(BTW I REFUSE to do the Truffle Shuffle)

MrPositive
08-15-2008, 04:40 AM
(BTW I REFUSE to do the Truffle Shuffle)

Do it.

Do it!

chloedo
08-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Yep! was cool!
I wish that we would have meet some more folks too :)
Will catch up in 2 yrs for the next LA siggraph :)

And perhaps in between for some of you !
How did you like your siggraph overall ? Any cool contacts ?
I saw Mr Blinn (from far but still....) so cool...

malducin
08-16-2008, 07:18 AM
No worries :) pretty funny actually ;) - did I meet you just as you were coming in, with a suitcase? So many people, a great turnout. :) We need a bigger venue next year, and maybe some official support. :p

Malducin I think I saw headed out - too bad we missed an opportunity to reminisce about Revenge of the Nerds. ;)

Yeah unfortunately I was kinda stuck at Griffith Observatory so I got in late to the CGTalk party. I thought I saw you but wasn't sure. We'll definately have to talk Nerds at New Orleans, hehe.

Good thing is that NO has ton of places, bad thing is that it's going to be very crowded. Maybe we should go to a paddle boat.

Climax
08-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Damn! Siggraph should last at least 2 weeks! there is so much cool stuff to see i would have like to have a clon to visit the whole thing!

It Was Fun and I definitly will go to new Orleans Next year! :beer:

jeremybirn
08-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Great seeing everyone! I returned home exhausted last night, but I also had learned some things and met a lot of people and had a lot of fun.

I think next summer I'm going to take a year off from SIGGRAPH. I haven't missed one since 92, so this was a big decision for me. I'll certainly be back for some of them, like 2010 or 2011 (Vancouver), but I was at the last 2 SIGGRAPH conferences that were held in New Orleans. The one in 96 had bigger parties hosted by all the studios, and that was before half of the French Quarter had been washed away (now you're down to a French Eighth?), but I'm going to try to go to SIGGRAPH Asia instead next year for variety.

-jeremy

Fess
08-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Was a pleasure meeting with u guys and putting names to faces finally...

Thanks for arranging the gathering.

-Jason Mohan

RockinAkin
08-17-2008, 05:10 AM
Was great seeing everyone again this year.

Now where are the pics!?

RobertoOrtiz
08-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Hey Akin, nice to have you back in DC,
Anyway I got pics and videos...

But the gf wants some quality time...
As son as I can get away I will be posting the videos from the dinner.

Here are some of my pics:
Ok here are some of my pictures:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/th_IMG_2495.jpg (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/IMG_2495.jpg)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/th_IMG_2497.jpg (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/IMG_2497.jpg)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/th_IMG_2500.jpg (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/IMG_2500.jpg)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/th_Img_2490.jpg (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/Img_2490.jpg)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/th_Img_2492.jpg (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/Img_2492.jpg)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/th_Img_2494.jpg (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/Img_2494.jpg)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/th_Img_2501.jpg (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/Img_2501.jpg)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/th_Img_2502.jpg (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/Img_2502.jpg)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/th_Img_2503.jpg (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/Img_2503.jpg)

-R

Lone Deranger
08-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Cool pics Roberto... How about some captions on who's who. :)

aglick
08-18-2008, 02:40 PM
As always, my favorite thing about SIGGY is the people and the great minds... I love seeing old friends and meeting new ones...and of course, putting faces to the people I interact with online in various forums.

What a great CGS Meetup! I can't believe the turn-out.

For those who couldn't make it - start planing now for '09 in New Orleans.

See you there!

Bonedaddy
08-18-2008, 03:09 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/th_Img_2492.jpg (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/Img_2492.jpg)

One of these days I have got to stop making an ass out of myself.

RobertoOrtiz
08-18-2008, 03:26 PM
One of these days I have got to stop making an ass out of myself.
Well around this time last week I was walking around downtown LA wearing a wiking helmet...so dont feel too bad.
-R

RobertoOrtiz
08-19-2008, 05:17 AM
Well here is a micro video of the meeting...

CGSOCIETY UN-Official Meeting @ SIGGRAPH 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4WhnsdXafc)
I will be uploading more videos and photos during the week.

-R

RockinAkin
08-19-2008, 05:40 AM
Hey hey, there I am at 45 seconds in wearing the work-shirt. :buttrock:

Climax
08-19-2008, 05:45 AM
SHAME ON ME!
Sure i was buying some more beer while you were shooting the video :beer:
maybe next year!:buttrock:

Rebeccak
08-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Please be sure not to include me, thanks.

-R

gnarlycranium
08-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Please be sure not to include me, thanks.Too late! I spotted you!

Roberto, this stuff is beautiful. Seriously. Post moar.

Fess
08-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Nice work.. :thumbsup:

PaulHellard
08-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey Roberto,

That is a cool record of a very successful gathering of like-minds. Gotta say it again, I love that lens. Thanks for using a bit of my footage. It was a heap of fun catching up with you all.

RobertoOrtiz
08-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks guys...

More is coming soon.
I had some audio issues with the current video, but iti s coming..

:)

RobertoOrtiz
08-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Well around this time last week I was walking around downtown LA wearing a wiking helmet...so dont feel too bad.
-R

Jason here is evidence of the act..
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/siggraph2008/Section508022.jpg

MrPositive
08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Some really hazy CGTalk images I painted at the event. :)
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p287/MrPositive1/0810082129.jpghttp://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p287/MrPositive1/0810082130.jpg

X..
08-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Nice pics guys! I'll post mine up in a bit.

malducin
08-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Just got back from the trip. I'll see if I can post a few pictures and a bit of video I took. At least Roberto didn't put the part of me acting like a jackass, hehe.

ragdoll
09-29-2008, 05:48 PM

hey i type that out!

like this...

tu gu dug...tsssss*

and now there's a site that plays it?!

the internet wins at life.

lolz

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2008, 05:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.