PDA

View Full Version : Version 3 DOCS ??!!

Julez4001
07-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Is there a date when Messiah:3 Docs will be updated?

:curious: :shrug:

Wegg
07-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Nope. Don't think so. There is a lot of cool things being worked on so . . . I think the "in flux" status of the cleanup/update may be the reason why docs haven't been a focus.

Well. . . docs have never really been a focus. . . :rolleyes:

But Messiah does rule! :applause:

I did a GI test the other day that once again re-affirmed my zealousness.

http://www.eggington.net/%7Ewegg/4Messiah/GI.png

rago
07-09-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm sorry if I'm harsh, but I was very disappointed with messiah's 3 rendering, I tought that there would have been more fixes, but the photon map and hybrid GI is still crashing most of the time in complex interior scenes and as your render shows it is still not that good of a solution for interiors, (or to grainy or huge render times); with noise reduction often seems to make everything float, as your render.

Probably you can get close enough, to other rendering engines, (even though I haven't seen an example yet), but it takes a long time for setting, and I myself dropped it for rhino + vray getting 10 times better results in less than a week, with faster render times.

Messiah is overall excelent for animating characters with a nice rendering option, but I had to learn the hard way that for photoreal visualization and in particular for interior scenes it just doesn't keep the pace with other rendering engines, (vray, mentalray, kray, fprime, modo, maxwell, fryrender, ecc.).

Just my opinion that is!)

Julez4001
07-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Messiah use to have the better docs than anyone but everyone has copied them and have let them in the dust. I see that everything doc related is very old and features are not discussed as integrated solution but as separated pieces. Ulven autorig and Ratioulle videos are nice, and the new videos are great and not to be missed but PMG need to re-introduce their manual as a solid rendering and animated solution, first and foremost.

Its really dated and on some things...we really don't the same anymore.

Wegg
07-09-2008, 03:47 PM
and as your render shows it is still not that good of a solution for interiors,

In what way? Nothing looks like it is floating to me. . . That render took 6 minutes on a dual core machine and shows you how cool/smart the GI cache points are with a cross blend to them on the left.

http://www.eggington.net/%7Ewegg/4Messiah/AndysRoom.png

This is one of the sets we used in Andy's Airplanes. Another interior. Only two lights were used in this scene. Very clean, renders fast no floating. . .

Can you show me some of your renders out of V-ray so we can compare?

Wegg
07-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I love a challenge. :-) But. . . I feel like I would be hijacking Julez's legitimate question about wanting better documentation for 3. So maybe rago and I can start another thread.

Julez: I don't use docs. I don't know why but I tend to find them to narrow my thinking. Docs generally describe the feature using techno babble and then proceed to demonstrate its use in a way that makes me question its reason for being there at all.

My way of learning revolves around picking apart others scene files to see how they did things. . . and clicking on something to see what it does. Click it off. . . see again. . . click it back on. . . make a mental note. . . move on.

I'm perfectly aware that that is NOT how most people like to learn software but its just the way I have always done it. :shrug:

rago: All the other GI types besides Monte Carlo should be removed. They only cause frustration to the end user because in my opinion they are not in a usable state.

What the heck is the "Lock" checkbox for in the Render/Output tab? I have yet to find out what it does. If it doesn't do anything. . . it should be removed.

I do feel your pain guys. . . I do. :p

TylerAZambori
07-09-2008, 04:58 PM
I would like to see a vray render too.

Wegg
07-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Lets move the render challenge stuff over to this (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5255212#post5255212) thread. And talk about docs here.

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2008, 05:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.