PDA

View Full Version : maya light & shadow linking separately

unclemao
07-08-2008, 12:45 PM
hi,

I am trying to link lights to objects and link the shadows seperately like you would do in Renderman. Is this possible in Maya using mental ray with depth map shadows.

That is I want to have a spotlight illuminate some geometry and but not cast shadows of all the geometry geometry.

a simple example would be a nurbs plane with 3 cones on top. a key light linking to all 3 but only casting the shadow of 2 of them onto the plane. and a seperate fill casting shados from all 3 cones onto the plane but illuminating only one cone.

I want to do this without making the objects non shadow casters in render stats. I also want to do this without making specific shadow casting lights with negative intensity.

is this clear. I dont have much experince lighting in the stock maya and cannot quite figure out linking shadows and lights to geometry independently? I have tried adjusting this option in the mental ray render options. it has shadow linking on/off/light linking but none of these seems to work.

thanks

MinaRagaie
07-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Shadow linking in mentalray for maya is not supported for shadowmaps AFAIK. I personally find it annoying.

-Mina

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2008, 11:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.