PDA

View Full Version : timing the instancer cycle step to the per particle velocity

colagor
07-08-2008, 01:10 AM
what i would like to do is set something so that on a per particle basis it can adjust its cycle step based on the velocity of the particle, in this case its a walk cycle i need to time on each particle, this is actually a crude crowd simulation :)

heres what i have so far: (megashare, quicktime format) (http://www.MegaShare.com/441953)

natsheh
07-09-2008, 09:21 AM
If you mean you want to change the speed of them cycling through the assigned animation, depending on the speed of the particle. .. . you may adjust the input of the animation graph from being the master time node, to custom adjusted -by particle speed- time nodes.

Meesto
07-10-2008, 01:27 AM
The Maya Techniques "Advanced Particle Instancing" DVD has a good example of this with the Creating and Implementing Character Cycles topics. It uses a very complex looking simulation that switches between character cycles based on the speed of the particles.

If you only want to pause "mid-stride" that is pretty easy to do by incrementing a counter that drives the index cycle. This could be controlled with a conditional statement such that if the magnitude of the velocity falls below a threshold that the index does not count upwards.

colagor
07-15-2008, 01:09 AM
thanks for your replies;
natsheh, i dont think that would work on a pp basis,
meesto, it seems that dvd is no longer available as it was an alias product, and autodesk is no longer publishing it, for the mean time i am just going to have several particleShapes and several instancers, but this doesnt sound as good as your solution.

wallabee
07-15-2008, 10:08 PM
I'd love to know the answer to this as well. I had a similar problem a few months ago - a school of fish. I created a rig based on a sin wave thinking "Great, now I just tie the frequency of the wave to the velocity of the particle", and then I found out that you can't really pass information from the particle to the instanced rig. Was my research wrong?

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2008, 10:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.