PDA

View Full Version : Depressed Monkey

Mordin
07-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi

A first attempt at lip sync. Its a WIP so theres a way to go yet.

I just wanted some feed back at this early stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTQ4iFiAGco

theflash
07-07-2008, 10:52 PM
There are two main areas for you to consider. One is acting choices for storytelling and second the animation itself. Acting choices I feel could be better. But I think mainly you need to focus first on animation techniques. Right now it looks like everything is moving mechanically and it makes it look CG (animation made from transforms).

I think as a beginner you have a good start to work on. I think you are doing nice with hand gestures to convey the dialog. So adding proper arcs and timing to hand gestures can help you make it look better.

dpendzich
07-08-2008, 09:12 PM
I love the way you used this peice of dialog. Its from The Matrix, right?
Very creative way of puting it to use :)

I think its comming along. I agree that the acting seems mechanical rather than fluid. You just need to clean up your animation, make the movements smoother with more anticipation and overshoot. That'd be a good place to start.

Mordin
07-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the comments!

theflash-when you say "There are two main areas for you to consider. One is acting choices for storytelling and second the animation itself. Acting choices I feel could be better." Did you mean the choice of Rig, the choice of the speech or what?
The rig isn't mine, its just a free one i found on the net that suited my purposes. I wanted a zoo animal with lip sync.

dpendzich- Yeah its from the Matrix. :) Was trying to find something that could be funny.

It is only a start. I will try and get some more fluidity into it. Time to open the graph editor...:)

theflash
07-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Basically I divide animation in main two parts. One is storytelling and one is techniques to animate. By acting choice I mean how your character act. Like when you are angry you could do a lot of different things to show that. Once you decide on that then you apply animation techniques to animate that acting choice.

brazz
07-10-2008, 10:21 PM
yeah, you definetelly need to work the acting there. Video reference yourself, try to add more then just hands moving around, use the spine more and watch for areas that you could emphasize more. The hands move stiff as of now, looking too mechanical.

keep going mate

andrewmartin
07-12-2008, 12:00 AM
A good start!

Aside from the linear movement issues which have been raised, one thing I would suggests is to restrict the hand movements a bit. The character's hands are MASSIVE and I found myself focussed on them the whole time, instead of the character's face/eyes.

If someone is depressed, I tend to think of them as not having a lot of energy. With that in mind, I would keep the character fairly still (which you have done to a certain degree by keeping him sitting still which works) and keep the focus on the eyes until there is an accent in the dialogue where you can throw in some strong hand or head poses.

I think the first half is better than the second half. That first head turn and the hand gesture (but maybe tone it down) are choices I think work. The hands in the second half just kind of shake up and down on every syllable - not so good.

I agree with brazz. Video yourself acting it out. Try all kinds of different things. Don't overthink it either. Pick and choose the best bits.

When you get all that working, make sure you have nice arcs and slow-ins and outs. :)

I hope I've helped and not confused you!

Keep it up!

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2008, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.