PDA

View Full Version : Apple not in the Exibitor List

puch
07-07-2008, 06:45 AM
I have just checked the Advance Program and Apple is not in the list of Exibitor. Am I right? If I am, they are not doing a really good job convincing peoplel that they want to do much more than sell cellphones and music player.

SpaceRabbit
07-07-2008, 03:41 PM
I know apple was not on the exhibition hall last year either, so I'm not surprised. Of course, I remember when SGI had a booth that took two giant spaces. Times change I guess ;)

malducin
07-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah they haven't had a booth the last few years. There's not much of a point of them attending after they ceased development of Shake. Their current offerings (FCP, Motion, etc.) are more suited to other events like NAB. Maybe when they get a succesor to Shake they'll show up again.

puch
07-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Yeah they haven't had a booth the last few years. There's not much of a point of them attending after they ceased development of Shake. Their current offerings (FCP, Motion, etc.) are more suited to other events like NAB. Maybe when they get a succesor to Shake they'll show up again.

Well, it's not just software it's hardware. There are people out there trying to use their machines to work. I have desperately tried to get audience from some of their engineers, but at this rate I thing I'm going to have more chances to talk with the pope, or the dalai lama or the president of the Unites States!

malducin
07-08-2008, 04:32 AM
Well, it's not just software it's hardware. There are people out there trying to use their machines to work.

A few years back they used the Piaxr booth for that, sorta. Back then they had a couple of brand new Intel Macs though I don't think there was anyone from Apple at the booth. Good luck though.

Elfenlyte
07-08-2008, 01:44 PM
And they said that they were going to release Shake's successor this year; 2008. If not at Siggraph, I wonder when it will be released (this year)... Siggraph really seems like the best time to release it.

aglick
07-08-2008, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath for a sucessor to Shake. While Apple has had some good success with FCP in editorial pielines, I just don't think they are terribly interested in spending a bunch of money to (develop new products &) compete in the VFX space. The Shake dev team got their walking papers a long time ago.

While Mac Pro & FCP are darn good products, ipod/iphone & the consumer MAC market seem much more likely as an focus for Apple from a growth and profitability perspective. Remember, Apple is a publicly traded company. This being the case, It's a safe bet that what drives their business decisions is whatever is best for the stock price. If that's the case, then developing solutions for the VFX market is a non-starter.

If you want to be able to "talk shop" with the maker(s) of your production tools, there are much better choices going forward than Apple IMHO.

;)

chikega
07-08-2008, 02:21 PM
.... such as Fusion (http://www.eyeonline.com/Web/EyeonWeb/Default.aspx).

inguatu
07-08-2008, 03:10 PM
And they said that they were going to release Shake's successor this year; 2008. If not at Siggraph, I wonder when it will be released (this year)... Siggraph really seems like the best time to release it.

who is they? Apple? They told you that? Or was it a friend's brother's cousin's boyfriend's friend who's a janitor at Apple?

Companies aren't going by the standard "let's release at E3, NAB or Siggraph" anymore. This gets rid of overly hyped expectations from fanboys who inevitably get disappointed when the product isn't released in their time frame.

inguatu
07-08-2008, 03:10 PM
.... such as Fusion (http://www.eyeonline.com/Web/EyeonWeb/Default.aspx).

better yet... Nuke.

Imhotep397
07-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Apple has been fairly anti-convention ever since they started building retail stores. It comes as no surprise to me that they don't have a both, as a company, their philosophy has been that conventions don't translate into sales and it hasn't hurt their business up to this point. Both Apple and Avid elected to not have booths at NAB this past year and it fueled rumors of both shutting down shop on video editing which hasn't materialized.

My thinking is that the next revision of Shake is coming and will probably be announced sometime around Siggraph. Remember that Apple acquired quite a few companies that developed compositing technologies the departure of some of those people do to differences of opinion, from my standpoint, was inevitable. Since Apple went to the trouble of pre-announcing the two year re-development strategy, I think they would have announced cancelation...if that was the direction they were going long ago. Also Apple doesn't "Pre-Announce" products that aren't shipping or due to ship so I think that calculates into the lack of information on Shake development as well.

Elfenlyte
07-08-2008, 03:39 PM
who is they? Apple? They told you that? Or was it a friend's brother's cousin's boyfriend's friend who's a janitor at Apple?

Who told me? Well actually Apple did. :)

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/06/06/22/apples_phenomenon_due_out_in_2008.html

inguatu
07-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Who told me? Well actually Apple did. :)

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/06/06/22/apples_phenomenon_due_out_in_2008.html

I trust appleinsider and macrumor (their source) just about as much as I trust a bum on the street to deliver $500 in cash to somebody across town. they've been known to embelish articles before. And once again, Siggraph has no real bearing anymore on large companies releasing software which is more important than the rumor mill. If they do anything, they'll have their own set up in a hotel down the street from sig.

inguatu
07-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Since Apple went to the trouble of pre-announcing the two year re-development strategy, I think they would have announced cancelation...if that was the direction they were going long ago. Also Apple doesn't "Pre-Announce" products that aren't shipping or due to ship so I think that calculates into the lack of information on Shake development as well.

they announced the cancellation of Shake already. Any failed development strategies probably won't be announced to squash any investor uncertainty and crying from fanboys. They'll either deliver something when they're ready or it'll simply just be forgotten.

Rhs_CG
07-08-2008, 04:33 PM
There were more sources than those reporting this. fxguide even interviewed who I believe is the head of Shake development (or was two years ago). He doesn't confirm the 2008 launch date, but says its apple's policy not to comment on future products, or something to that effect.

http://www.fxguide.com/article359.html

inguatu
07-08-2008, 05:08 PM
There were more sources than those reporting this. fxguide even interviewed who I believe is the head of Shake development (or was two years ago). He doesn't confirm the 2008 launch date, but says its apple's policy not to comment on future products, or something to that effect.

http://www.fxguide.com/article359.html

correct... so a 2008 release announced by apple would be innaccurate. Just like with all Apple releases, they rarely if ever speculate a release date for their own products.

In the end does it really matter? After all, if it's not official then it's just speculation.

Imhotep397
07-08-2008, 06:44 PM
they announced the cancellation of Shake already. Any failed development strategies probably won't be announced to squash any investor uncertainty and crying from fanboys. They'll either deliver something when they're ready or it'll simply just be forgotten.

That's really not how businesses operate. Had they said nothing about re-developing Shake on a different foundation then maybe what you're saying might make some sense. Ultimately Shake is one of those apps that helps sell Apple hardware and garnishes lot of free publicity for Apple in the creative sector, but it doesn't sell a lot of seats. Investors, for the most part, don't think Shake does much for Apple's bottom line because they are only looking for the next consumer "Big Thing" from Apple...announcing the EOL of Shake with no replacement wouldn't effect the company stock, but it would keep customers informed so Apple would probably do it just like they announced the end of the RAID solution and pointed customers to an alternate option.

My guess is that although Apple is definitely using PA-Semi (cpu design company they recently acquired) to design next gen iPod and iPhone cpus I think it's very possible that CPU/GPU technology from this company will show up in highend Apple workstations and re-designed Raid arrays specifically for extreme acceleration purposes. Before being acquired PA-Semi was already building system on a chip units for I think it was HP and Dell Raid arrays to great effect apparently. Hardware acceleration for Raid arrays and acceleration for the next generation of Shake and FCS doesn't seem too far fetched to me. Also, take into account Apple has had a strong relationship with PA-Semi since before switching to Intel so who knows what they've been cooking in their collaborative factory.

Imhotep397
07-09-2008, 03:59 PM
One of the things that constantly gets thrown around that sounds like its untrue and was confirmed to be untrue 2 years ago was that Apple disbanded the Shake team. That rumor got out and even after Apple cited it as an untrue rumor some people decided to cling to it for whatever reason. The only official departure was of Ron Brinkman to the Foundry to help out with Nuke. While Brinkman has substantial knowledge and made some level of contribution to Shake it's unclear how much. He's almost never listed as a founder/co-founder and wasn't really a significant part of the Nothing Real company before they got acquired by Apple from what I could tell. I think this nebulas area and all that it entails probably has everything to do with his departure, but who knows. The only thing that I can hope for is that the Shake team has the new version of Shake ready for or shortly after Siggraph so we can all stop speculating.

puch
07-09-2008, 06:25 PM
One of the things that constantly gets thrown around that sounds like its untrue and was confirmed to be untrue 2 years ago was that Apple disbanded the Shake team. That rumor got out and even after Apple cited it as an untrue rumor some people decided to cling to it for whatever reason. The only official departure was of Ron Brinkman to the Foundry to help out with Nuke. While Brinkman has substantial knowledge and made some level of contribution to Shake it's unclear how much. He's almost never listed as a founder/co-founder and wasn't really a significant part of the Nothing Real company before they got acquired by Apple from what I could tell. I think this nebulas area and all that it entails probably has everything to do with his departure, but who knows. The only thing that I can hope for is that the Shake team has the new version of Shake ready for or shortly after Siggraph so we can all stop speculating.

Personally I couldn't care less about Shake. We are not even using it in the Studio. What we are really trying to get is an OS that sucks a little less to do big productions. I would love to be able to present our list of problems to some engineer at Apple, but so far all our effect to get in contact with them has been completely futile.

odiato
07-14-2008, 01:17 PM
In the Job Fair. They will have a booth there. Not what you or I want, but it's there.

MaxBickley
07-21-2008, 01:16 AM
They'll likely be looking for technical people as usual. I asked them last year about Shake and they gave me a funny look(which I was expecting anyway).

Bonedaddy
07-21-2008, 05:46 AM
Personally I couldn't care less about Shake. We are not even using it in the Studio. What we are really trying to get is an OS that sucks a little less to do big productions. I would love to be able to present our list of problems to some engineer at Apple, but so far all our effect to get in contact with them has been completely futile.

What exactly are your problems? We use almost only OSX machines, so likelihood is, if you had a problem, we've had the same one. Most of them, we've found work-arounds for.

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2008, 05:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.