PDA

View Full Version : nCloth questions about mesh density

Bryan Y
07-07-2008, 12:32 AM
I've been playing with nCloth and I'm starting to get a feel for it. There's plenty of tutorials out there, but they aren't always really clear on some points:

Does the density of the mesh which you declare to be an nCloth object play a role in how much it can bend? Let me be very clear about what I am asking: let's say I create two poly planes, one is 10 x 10 polys, and the other 40 x 40 polys. With all other things being equal in the nucleus and the nCloth settings, will the 40 x 40 poly plane appear to be less stiff and fold more?

My other question relates to allowing the nCloth mesh drive a subdivision surface. Since I'm rendering with a RenderMan compliant renderer, subdivision surfaces render very well - perfectly, in fact. I want the nCloth mesh to drive a subdivision surface. However, it seems that perhaps there are several ways to do this: Proxy? Wrap deformer? Any suggestions for a subdivision surface workflow?

john_homer
07-07-2008, 01:06 AM
let's say I create two poly planes, one is 10 x 10 polys, and the other 40 x 40 polys. With all other things being equal in the nucleus and the nCloth settings, will the 40 x 40 poly plane appear to be less stiff and fold more?

only if you set your "scaling relation" to "object space"

which is why this is the setting in all the presets, and the only setting i ever use.

I have no idea why this is not the default.

.j

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2008, 01:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.