PDA

View Full Version : Hop animation

theflash
07-06-2008, 03:02 AM
Hi Guys, I am still training my eyes to look more faults in my animation. I will appreciate if you guys can give some critique on my animation. Thanks.

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~mkatar20/animations/maulik_hop_6.mov

lewistaylor
07-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Hey buddy,

It appears that all your body parts are set on the same keys, everything pretty much arrives at the same time. You need to
have overlap, and the character is looking a little weightless.

Check out Keith Lango's tutorials on overlap.

http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/overlap/overlap.html

Lewis

theflash
07-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey Lewis, Thanks for your reply. I had put some overlap, but I guess I am missing something in that or may be its too subtle? I did put legs a little behind on the time just at the hop begins. Also the hand drags a little bit. Could you tell me how I can I get more overlap by giving one example in the animation?

I agree about the weight, but I am not sure on how to correct it. Could you help me with this too?

Thanks a lot for your time.

lewistaylor
07-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Hey mate,

Sorry no reply for a couple of days. I was thinking about how to
explain it, or if I should bring it into flipbook and stick figure over
the top. Alas, not much time.

However. Imagine that from frame 43 to 55 that your character is holding
a box. That's what it looks like so far as the stiffness in the arms/overlap.
Just doesn't look fluent in that area, and the imaginery box kinda sums it up.

Hope it helps, I'm a novice so I could be off base here.

Lewis

theflash
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Hey Lewis thanks a lot for replying. I think I understand what you mean by the box example. I will go through the animation and redo some of those parts completely, especially the hands I think are creating a lot of problems.

DevIII
07-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Hey man, I think that the chest and head follow up nicely.
but Id minimize the hip movement. a bit of extra movement for expression is nice but this seemed a bit too much, particularly in the recovery.
the weakest point in the animation thou is the hands.
you might consider starting the hand motion sooner, when the feet hit the ground.
after the feet have hit the ground the hands(and the rest of the body) should start to show the impact in some manner, you seem to have recovered the hands when the chest starts to recover.

so most people commonly state things like never have a dead frame. but in character motion i find dead bones equally as detracting. so simply curling the fingers slightly during the jump, will ad a great deal to the character, even if the motion is subtle the human eye picks up such things quickly.

when I work I try to key things based on the order they happen. this way while im working I can get a feel for how the motion is representing the physical rules of things. and it helps me decide on what kinds of movements to make across the entire scene.

hope these thoughts help

theflash
07-11-2008, 05:59 AM
Thanks Donald. I think too that hands have meseed up quite a bit of my animation. I am gonna rework on them in this weekend. Hands moving a little earlier in the begining sounds like a good choice to me too. My earlier idea was that hands would be dragging behind him when he jumps. But I think what I have is neither that nor anything better.

Thanks for all your comments and tips.

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2008, 05:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.