PDA

View Full Version : quicktime: need pro?

kiri
05-26-2003, 02:29 PM
hey, i was just wondering, does it matter what version of quicktime you have for using QT movies with after FX?
i tried importing a QT mov, but the quality seems really poor... more poor than it should be
thanks

joconnell
05-26-2003, 04:23 PM
Okay, quicktime pro doesn't make all that much difference but what's more important is how you are using it. The reason your quicktime looks bad is that someone used bad quality settings. For any animation or post production stuff you never render to avi or quicktime for a few reasons.

1. For starters as you mentioned, if you use bad compression settings you won't know until your full render is done. Then if the quality is shit you have to do a full re render again.

2. It locks you into one format that isn't easy to convert to another. Say you need an avi or mpeg, not all programs accept quicktime as an input file type.

3. If you have more than 1 computer you can't do network rendering.

4. Lastly if you are doing a big render in 3d or 2d and if your machine crashes half way through then your quicktime movie or avi is corrupt so you have to go back to the start again. In ALL cases you should render to an image sequence like tga, png or jpeg at 100% (if you don't need an alpha) so if your render crashes at least you have half your files done and you don't have to go back to the start

So the main thing is to use a high quality image sequence while you are working (All post and most editing apps can use an image sequence) and only when you do final output for the internet / dvd etc do you use quicktime or mpeg so you don't waste rendering time while testing compression settings.

kiri
05-28-2003, 12:51 AM
thanks joconnell
the MOV files were actually just direct capture files captured in final cut pro

they ended up looking ok once i took them into after FX and put them into a composition. I think playback in QT just looks bad.

Chris
05-28-2003, 01:14 AM
Yeah, the quicktime player makes quicktime DV files look awful - I think there may be a setting somwhere that switches it off? :shrug:

kiri
05-28-2003, 01:43 AM
there is a high quality setting in movie properties... but it might only be available on the pro version (?)

Chris
05-28-2003, 02:40 AM
Yeah, its the opposite concept from 'value added services' this is more like 'upgrade to pro or your video will look shirty'... I mean someone has surely had to actually spend time to program into quicktime standard the 'uglifying algorythm' - marketing crazyness.

beaker
05-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Chris
Yeah, the quicktime player makes quicktime DV files look awful - I think there may be a setting somwhere that switches it off? :shrug:
Quicktime just plays dv at half rez by default. You can turn on the "high quality" setting check box in the video properties of the movie file in qt(you dont have to have pro to turn it on).

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.