PDA

View Full Version : Jammin session

Ian Jones
05-26-2003, 01:30 PM
Hey, just jammed to some music (http://www.digitallyimported.com) and cranked out a kind of abstract bit-stream image in about half an hour. Whatya think?

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl7k7r/datafield_bitstream.jpg

I can see some problems and things to improve, eg.. a lack of a focal point, however it wasn't really a carefully considered design. Still, I'd like any of your thoughts.

Plasma
05-26-2003, 01:50 PM
I think there's something missing. A focal point as you say. Uhm, do you have a 1280x1024 or 1024x768 version? would fit on my desktop :buttrock:

Ian Jones
05-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Hey, thx for you reply. Quick response.

I don't have a very high res one yet... It's only a kind of test for a larger project I'm doing, if I get a nice outcome I'll post a desktop for you. I'm glad you confirmed my feeling about the lack of the focal point... I like to push myself to pick up any loose details like that.

singularity2006
05-26-2003, 05:59 PM
duuuuude, that is savagely cooooool....... =)

bumskee
05-26-2003, 10:58 PM
it's nice!
:beer:
great stuff, tell us how u did it!

Ian Jones
05-27-2003, 01:44 AM
Hey there, glad you liked it.

Here's a quick breakdown:

step 1: Create vector text in Illustrator. I used some sort of wingdings letter and just spaced them appart randomly and made several lines of this.

step 2: Went to Photoshop and made an orange to red gradient in the background.

step 3: Imported the text I had just made in Illustrator and pasted it several times changing scale, position.. maybe flipping it horizontally and vertically to get some variation. I duplicated and blurred a couple of layers and blurred them just to get a few 'halo' effects.

step 4: I made a merged copy of the image. I desaturated this, because I wanted to set it to 'screen' after filtering it. To filter I used the pixelate>mosaic and got some nice digital sort of blocks. I then did a stylize>find edges... inverted this so that it was white lines on black background. I pixelated>mosaic again to get a more interesting pixelattion.. but of course this time it was based upon the 'find edges' of the previous pixelation which gave it an interesting and more complex looking effect. This new layer was put at the top and set to 'screen'.

step 5: I played around with the transform>perspective and to get the 'pinching' or 'twisting' effect I just pushed one end of the perspective rectangle past the minimum and wrapped it over itself.

step 6: I played around to get a reasonable composition and tweaked a few settings such as blending modes and opacity.

Hope this helps. :bounce:

bumskee
05-27-2003, 01:54 AM
wow, u actually managed to tell us how u did it! in details!
I am sure not many people can do dat ---> (ie. me)

it really is a nice image, nice effect, almost has the feel of 3d gernerated look as well. I absolutely love it. and concerning focal point, i dun think you need one, it's looks to be well balanced as it is.

good on ya mate!
:beer: :beer:

Goatfuzz
05-27-2003, 02:39 AM
Das ist sehr wunderbar!

Very nice! :D

Ian Jones
05-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Here's what a small section looked like before I started the perspective distortions.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl7k7r/datafield_bitstream_plain.jpg

KotsVlok
05-27-2003, 11:21 AM
That looks very cool, Ian :)
I personally don't like orange/red tones that much, think i'll love it if it has blue/green tones ;)

Plasma
05-27-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the "guide". Looking forward to the high res. version!

Keep up the good work,

-Plasma

theGuest
05-28-2003, 07:13 AM
Excellent image and very well explained methods Ian. Great stuff! :thumbsup:

I really like the colours. Reminds me of life... heat creates movement, movement = action, and actions govern our lives. I see AND feel a lot of movement in that image.

I agree about needing a main focal point too. Perhaps a big techno looking orb off in the distance down the right, that glows with flares like the sun has. With digital info/numbers swirling around it. :bounce:

Ian Jones
05-28-2003, 01:42 PM
Here's a little more experimentation. Just pushing the idea around.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl7k7r/datafield_bitstream_digital.jpg

bumskee
05-28-2003, 11:03 PM
fanTASTIC!
:beer: :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.