PDA

View Full Version : Affecting a soft selection of particles

Oeverlie
07-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Had a hard time coming up with a title that made sense :)

I've parented an emitter to a sphere that rotates. I end up with a helix shaped group of particles. Now here's the problem. I want the paricles furthest away to continue but the particles closer to the sphere to loosely follow the the emitter (kinda like the helix is being tightened from the center, but the outer parts are not affected). I'm running out of ideas...

cheers

holycause
07-04-2008, 11:42 AM
did u try with an Age Test?

Oeverlie
07-04-2008, 01:49 PM
yeah, but with the age test i only get to turn on off if the particles are affected? It'd be nice to set a relative value, that the particles are relatively affected based on their age. E.g the younger particles follow the sphere more closely than the older ones. (dont know if you can base the lock/bond (from Box1) on a relative value )
my current setup is after a specific time particles attach to a rotating object which is parented to a rotating sphere, the rest keep on drifting unaffected.

OlegB
07-04-2008, 04:25 PM
You can animate parameters in Lock/Bond and then sync parameter animation with particle age. See docs for Lock/Bond. For you case you can animate Offset Limit and Force parameters.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

Oeverlie
07-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Hi Oleg, and thanks for the reply.
I'm having a hard time making it work. Wouldn't it be easier if one could run a script e.g.
at absolute age, set the lock to object percentage, based on particle age (in that frame)
is there a way of doing this?

cheers,
Morten

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2008, 08:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.