PDA

View Full Version : Rotation Order for joints?

Bulldog
05-26-2003, 06:03 AM
The Newbie is back! :D

Guys what are the things to pay attention to when setting up the rotation order for joints? I cant find any info about this in the docs , but I hear pro's like Jason Schleiffer and many others say its one of the most important steps when rigging the character.

Thanks very much in advance!

svenip
05-26-2003, 09:37 AM
rotation order is indeed very important for your setup. it all plays together with gimbal lock. the best way to see the effect of this is this :

1. create a simple cube
2. look in the Attribute Editor (on the tab for the transform node) , where you'll find the rotation oder dropdown box
you need to read it from right to left
3. so standard is xyz , means that first the z then the y and then x is calculated

lets test it (always look in the channelbox for the rotation values)

rotate about z, then y and then x

you'll see that everything is allright

now go the other way

rotate about x and then y, you'll see that things get messed up by this. this is gimbal lock. the problem with that is that its hard to animate this way

so you have to make sure that all your controls in the setup have the right rot order to avoid this. unfortunatly this isn't possible all the time. the easiest way to work around is to create a second control and parent under the actual control. this new control you set up to be responsible for just one or two axis and the original for the left ones.

hope this helps a bit

galactor
05-26-2003, 04:08 PM
I was wondering about the following. Is it still important to set the rotationOrder correctly if you only work with Inverse kinematics ? Because it will solve the rotations automaticly ?

:: Galactor ::

svenip
05-26-2003, 04:11 PM
clearly not, because they are moved by the ik solver (as you already noticed)

Rudity
05-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by galactor
I was wondering about the following. Is it still important to set the rotationOrder correctly if you only work with Inverse kinematics ? Because it will solve the rotations automaticly ?

:: Galactor ::

You'll want to set the rotation order the the Ik controler though. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.