PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a dog tongue

YodasBeast
07-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi all, trying to get a believable dog tongue rigged for a repeat client and want to keep evolving the character. The dog is somewhat cartoony, but not Scooby Doo cartoony. The rest of the rig works fairly well, although later on I probably will redo the rig to make it easier to use. My biggest issue at the moment is the tongue.

Currently, I just have it on a basic joint chain that is set driven to go over the teeth and scle down as it passes between the canines. I need it to deform around the teeth as well as find an easier way for him to stick his tongue out. Once that is done, I'd like to get the secondary animation of a wagging or jiggling to happen. Lastly, I'd like it to also be able to slide out to the side of the mouth like dogs tend to do.

This character was originally done in Cinema4D and it's been a process bringing it to the level where it's at now. I've tried searching the internet for tutorials on both rigging/animating a dog and on the tongue itself.

Now, I'll sit in the corner and hope that someone has some ideas for me to try. Thanks.

colagor
07-09-2008, 09:11 PM
what about making a soft body, then colliding the particles of this with the teeth/gums ect, then if you rig the goal mesh with something fairly flexible it should deform nicely.

XminusOne
07-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Softbodies and and IK spline that drives its goal. It'll take some work but like colagor said, it would look really nice.

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2008, 11:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.