PDA

View Full Version : Messiah -> Lightwave pipeline problem

Zimtower
07-03-2008, 05:35 AM
Hello,

I am a beginner messiah 3 animator and I am still learning but there is one thing that has been annoying me ever since. I do all my scene work and rendering in lightwave 9.3 but I use the plugin to hook messiah into my character animation. The problem is when I open the lightwave scene after closing down LW and PMG, the object's geometry dissapears even though it says there are polygons there and the plugin is still active. In addition, messiah does not automatically open and when I open messiah prior to opening the scene it still has the problem of not loading the object's geometry. I do not know why this is happening because all my project directories are set correctly in both LW and Messiah. If there is something im doing wrong please tell me because it will save me about 10 minutes of scene setting up :)

Thanks,
Zimtower

Zimtower
07-03-2008, 05:56 AM
Looking over the messiah manual which did not help me btw, I noticed the messiah master plugin which looks like it failed to become a master plugin in lightwave. Once I added it to the lightwave master plugins, all my scenes load correctly now just like I left them :) This might be something to address in the next messiah manual. All that I saw was this:

"6 Plug-ins???
When you add the messiah plug-in, it tells you it has added 6 plug-ins. It's really only 3, messiah:displace, messiah:xform, and the messiah interface, but the way LightWave's plug-in architecture reads it, there are six. Don't worry about it."

The other 3 plugins are important which includes the master one yet the manual does not explain what they are, I happened to figure out what it was by accident.

Breed47
07-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Good luck getting replies on this subject in this forum. In fact, ANY forum. I had a problem too which I havn´t solved yet. Lightwave wont load any of those plugins. Neighter PMG likes to answer my questions.But you got it finally. Great!

SLiTHER
07-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi Zimtower

The Messiah Plugins for Lightwave are considered obsolete and therefor PMG decided to drop them, in fact a while back they released the full source for free for anyone interested in developing it further on their own.

Before you start flaming, there is a much better alternative, that is baking MDD files or exporting Motion files for camera, Lights and nulls. all that is done in the customise tab, select your animted models and export mdd for those that need deformation. or Dump Motion files for motion files.

Now why is this a better option, well in theory connecting messiah directly to your objects is way much better, but due to the limitation of LW SDK and the many hacks that need to be done (Since PMG is not Newtek), along with the over head of having messiah loaded at all times and running in the background, along with figuring a unified scene saving format that will not break or fail to load, all these issues and more make the offline connection far more reliable. Think about it, loading a heavy scene in lightwave is like crossing all limbs, what if you decided to let lightwave load messiah and it's heavy scene along with it, it's like shooting your self in the foot :)

There was a time in developing programs where having two programs connected all the time seemed like a nice and a catchy idea to increase sales, but everyone realised that it's not reliable, that's why all major programs link in external files. and MDD file format is a very reliable and effiecent format.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2008, 10:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.