PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea: The Sketchbook Folder

RobertoOrtiz
07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I have this idea but first i want to pass it to all of you..

I was thinking of requesting to the Forum managers a SUBFOLDER for the
Daily Sketch Forum called:
SKETCHBOOKS

The idea would be simple:
I would encourage people to start re-posting their daily sketches on an single
individual threads posted on this new subfolder.

The naming format for the thread would be:
<<YOUR NAME>> Daily Sketchbook: (From: CGTalk Daily Sketch Forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130) )

and you could post A LINK to this thread when you post on the TOPIC THREAD OF THE DAY for that day.

This would give a way for people to see sketches collection from our members.

For example:

On today's thread
CgTalk Daily Sketch 1484 55 mn "Winter Wonderland" (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=130&t=649034)

Artist John Doe would post his sketch in the usual manner,
BUT on along with the sketch he would post also a link to this thread:

JOHN DOE Daily Sketchbook: (From: CGTalk Daily Sketch Forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130) )

In this master thread that contains all the drawings he has done so far
(Or at least the ones he wants to show) he would have reposted the drawing he did for the "Winter Wonderland" topic.

What do you guys think?
-R

NathanielWest
07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Great idea!

Overchord
07-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Sounds like a really good idea. It owuld be great to see progress of sketches over time :applause:

daw
07-02-2008, 04:24 PM
now this would be really cool...

toussaint
07-02-2008, 09:03 PM
it also could be kind of motivating to participate more frequently, like getting you thinking "oh crap, people are looking at my thread all the time, i totally cant leave it this empty!" and bam everybody is productive. or so i imagine and hope my own laziness could be circumvented. :D

so anyway, yeah, great idea!

archangelgabe
07-03-2008, 01:45 AM
I'd be up for that.

AndrewBB
07-03-2008, 09:32 AM
nice...it will be good

krpolak
07-03-2008, 10:27 AM
I absolutelly support this idea.

Regards,

K.Polak

alicelefay
07-05-2008, 05:59 PM
really a smart idea, also for have the possibility to look at someone's sketching without needing to surf the whole forum...when you find a work that inspire you, you can go and look at the others ...yes, good idea! :beer:

Nekoi-chan
07-07-2008, 09:04 AM
I tottally agree with that idea.

RobertoOrtiz
07-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Ok I passed it along the chain of command...
Ill keep you all informed.
-R

TheDeceit
07-09-2008, 09:52 PM
*crosses fingers*

mim-Armand
07-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Greate Idea!:thumbsup: it's nice to see how ppl progress time to time! :)

PELENG
07-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Great idea. :thumbsup:

NR43
07-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Euhm...

Don't we all have a sketchbook thread already?
Either in the Anatomy and Figurative Art forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177) or in the WIP/Critique: 2D, Illustrations and Concept Art Forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)?

Hate to crash the party but perhaps it would be a better idea to keep the sketchbooks in those threads? I am even an advocate for merging those 2 existing fora together as one Sketchbook Forum.

Having people from the DSF starting a sketchbook there would have a positive effect as well and possibly attract more people to the DSF.

Just thinking out loud here... it would be awesome to see everyone's DSF entries together, but it's also extremely interesting to follow peoples progress as they sketch and paint more and more, as is possible in the above 2 fora as we speak...

krpolak
07-25-2008, 01:29 PM
NR43,

I disagree. Anatomy and Figurative Art forum is for anatomy and figurative art. Sketching is not only about those subjects. Sketching is wider then that. Not to mention sketchbooks in this forum are so diply dig in that nobody can find them. So no many views and even less comments. i have been there, I have done it, generally its like talking with a wall. Pointless exercise.

Wip/ Critique again is for images in progress, single images not quick sketches and studies.

Sketchbooks should be right here where people interested in sketches and studies naturally go. I would post here, in the meanwhile I post somewhere else. Actually somehow I am less and less visitor on cgsociety, even in daily sketching, but reasons for that are other cup of tea.

BTW, this thread should be sticky for a while. Its already gone under number of other thread. Nobody new will get to this page.

Regards,

K.Polak

NR43
07-25-2008, 02:54 PM
My sketchbook thread doesn't just have anatomy studies in it. And I get plenty of critique if I want it, but getting critique is something that doesn't just happen. I have found to receive more critique on my work as I started to be more active in the sketchbook subforum. Perhaps I will not make myself popular this way, but there are quite a few aspiring artists that want to get a lot of critique, but fail to spend some time to help others. That's not how an online community works imho. The more one gives, the more one receives back in time. (no matter where a sketchbook thread is located, if the owner never helps anyone else, other people won't be eager to help either)

Perhaps I didn't express myself strongly enough in my previous post about merging all sketchbooks into one sketchbook forum. I didn't mean to move all the sketchbook threads to the anatomy forum. I meant just one single sketchbook forum... no blabla, just a forum and nothing but sketchbook threads in there, including those from the anatomy forum. It could perfectly be a subforum of the DSF, that would be fine. As it is now, I usually only see the sketchbook threads from the anatomy forum and I miss a lot of interesting threads from the 2D WIP forum (I think).

That being said, in case this would be possible, I think it would be a good idea to have a naming convention similar to the one in the anatomy forum "Sketchbook Thread of Name Surname" to keep things easy to read and navigate.

Thanks for your reply krpolak!

krpolak
07-25-2008, 02:59 PM
>I meant just one single sketchbook forum...

I agree. That would be the best solution in fact. I am pretty sure it would be succesful. Hopefully admins hear us :)

K.Polak

ovinet
07-26-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm in, It's a great idea and it would be a great opportunity for new members to see more art.

RobertoOrtiz
08-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Look up...
The Sketchbook Folder (Look up! it is now the Member SKETCH Collection) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=130&t=666808)

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2008, 02:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.