PDA

View Full Version : Alpha/transparency question

catizone
07-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Okay, so I have a poly that I want to map with an image, and an alpha channel to "eliminate" the rest of the poly...

I have tried loading the images into the color channel color and alpha blocks...with no success. What am I missing? I still get the whole poly rendering. Checked the docs, but didn't see anything additional I would need to do.

I have tried putting the matte image in the transparency slot, and that does work.

But how about an imbedded alpha, or even a separate matte image? Just doesn't seem to work for me in the color shader block.

Thanks,
Rick

fwtep
07-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Connect to Opacity on the material.

Fred

catizone
07-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the quick answer, Fred. That didn't seem to work...if all I was to do was drag that node to the opacity channel. I also tried the various =,-, etc.

Maybe I didn't get it.

Also, is there a way to set a group for determining what lights may affect a group? I don't think Render Group allows me that facility. While surface by surface lighting isolation is great, sometimes it would be very beneficial to activate or eliminate a light (or lights) from a whole set of surfaces instead of having to individually do that.

<edit: Maybe I can multiple select the suraces in that group and then select the lights..seems to work)>

Maybe it's in there. I've only recently begun the surfacing and lighting in messiah, so I'm sure there is much I'm missing. Also, would be nice if we could have a visible cone marker for the beginning and end of attenuation settings.

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks,
Rick

rush123
07-01-2008, 09:27 PM
catizone,
The picture is an example of the surface by surface or the render group approach. I believe the render group approach will allow what you want. ie put what objects I want lit by the green light in that group. But you will have to switch off the ‘white’ light in the light surface mode if you want an exclusive green light as in the example

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/1319/light_example_thumb.jpg
(http://uploader.polorix.net//files/1319/light_example.JPG)

Hope it helps

R

fwtep
07-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the quick answer, Fred. That didn't seem to work...if all I was to do was drag that node to the opacity channel. I also tried the various =,-, etc.
Connect from the Color output of the image node to the Opacity of the material.

Fred

catizone
07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks guys!

Best,
Rick

catizone
07-02-2008, 01:24 AM
Is this right? Still not working for me. Also changed the triangle/circle icon, but that didn't seem to help.

rush123
07-02-2008, 06:08 PM
is this what your after?

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/1319/catzone_02_thumb.jpg
(http://uploader.polorix.net//files/1319/catzone_02.JPG)

R

catizone
07-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Here are my settings. If I don't have the texture also on the color channel, I see no image on the poly.

I have used the image file (targa) with alpha channel, set in one (and also both) image sections on the image block. Maybe there is something else I need to do to have it read the alpha?

The only way I have been able top get this to work, was to use the color image on the color channel, and a matte image on the transparency channel.

Best,
Rick

fwtep
07-02-2008, 11:07 PM
You can't use the alpha channel of an RGBA file. Save the alpha as a separate image.

Fred

catizone
07-03-2008, 01:11 AM
I have loaded a separate image (b&w) on the alpha image block, and it still doesn't work.

I must be missing something. Again...no problem if I use it on the transparency channel.

Unless I am completely wrong, I should be able to add a texture map to the color attribute. I load in the color image on the color block, and the alpha on the alpha block, and attach that to the opacity channel. And that is it.

Rick

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2008, 01:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.