PDA

View Full Version : IK end effector positioning problem

SheepFactory
05-25-2003, 06:43 AM
Hi Guys ,

I have an Arm setup like :

Clavicle -> Shoulder -> Elbow -> Forearm -> Wrist -> Hand

Now when create a RP IK from shoulder to forearm and I choose the end effector and snap it to wrist , Now for some reason the IK handle doesnt follow the end effector there. But the second I move it it snaps to the effector but the joints shift and I cant get it back to bind pose.

On top of that I see a brown ghost joint with FK letters at the end of it , going all around when I move the IK.

What am I doing wrong>?

Thanks in advance

Ali

svenip
05-25-2003, 10:18 AM
hi sheep factory

got the same kind of strange thing happening here. the ik/fk thing seems to have some really strange bugs in the 5 release.

what i also noticed is that it twist about 90 degrees as soon as i create the ik.

i guess the ik doesn't recognice the end effectors position until an event happens on the ik. must be because of the whole ik/fk switch build in.

AW should really bring out a bug fix release to fix that. i don't wanna wait half a year to get things done here correctly

SheepFactory
05-25-2003, 02:47 PM
Thats sad :( , how can they overlook such a huge bug?

Do you have a workaround?

The way i deal with it right now is:

I parent a locator to the wrist joint and freeze its transforms , than I parent the Ik handle to that , the second you do that it gets messed up again but you can go back to the original position by zeroing out the transforms of the locator.

Cant figure out what the pseudo brown joint is for though.

Ali

olivier georges
05-26-2003, 07:26 AM
hi,
the new ik/fk system in maya 5 works similary to the old setup we've made in maya 4.5 with three arms, control arm, binding arm, and ik controls (wrist and elbow)... but now it's build directly inside the ik solver.... the brown and blue arm are the ghost of the ik and fk arm during blending of the ik to fk... if you want to have the ik handle stay with the end effector, you have to disable ik fk control in the skeleton menu in maya 5... you can set you ik handle to sticky too so it will always snap to the end effector...but yes, there is some weird refresh problem for the ik in maya 5... strange...

Olivier.

SheepFactory
05-26-2003, 04:09 PM
Thanks Olivier that worked.

I have to read up on the new IK\FK blend stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.