PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining a perfect hollow sphere in a fluid container?

dangermouse
07-01-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm making clouds in a 3d fluid container, no problem there.

Problem is, I need to have them in the shape of a hollow sphere, as if they are around a tiny little planet.

Actually, they ARE around a tiny little planet...

Getting a sphere is no problem, I can just use the shading dropoff, but I can't make it hollow.

The closest I've gotten is HAND painting the area I need into the density grid. This lets me texture the density with noise, and all is good. Only my painting of the hollow sphere is HORRIBLE.

Any ideas on how I can create this?

Aikiman
07-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Hi Dangermouse,

alternatively you could just throw a fluid texture onto the colour input of a shader and map it onto a sphere.

dangermouse
07-01-2008, 02:14 AM
I never considered that, that should render much faster as well (I'm assuming) but I also need a proper volume version for a fly through at the start.

A friend just mentioned a script that can convert particles (which i could emit from a sphere) to a fluid density, but neither of us can find it, have you heard of anything like this?

zoo-prod
07-01-2008, 02:29 AM
What about using a spherical force field (like newtown) ?
You could get only a clouds "skin" around your planet.

Aikiman
07-01-2008, 02:38 AM
Heres the link here...

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/dynamics/5201.html

you could emit particles using a surface emitter along with the texture emission rate to control the placement of your particles (perhaps map a BW cloud scene) then run this script to add fluids density at particle position, good idea.

As for the fly through, nnless you have one large camera shot where the camera flies from outspace into the atmosphere, could you not just get away with one of the cloud presets?

dangermouse
07-01-2008, 02:59 AM
Dude, thank you! VoxelMaster is exactly what i was looking for, only i was searching for fluid and particles, and it never showed up :surprised

And incidentally, I am doing one big opening shot from space to planet surface, it should be epic!

Thank you guys, you've been much help, and in record time :)

Aikiman
07-01-2008, 03:12 AM
Cool, be good to see some screen shots when you're done ;)

ranxx
07-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I think you could also try using a volume emitter with negative density emission ? Just a guess but theoretically you could cut holes in the density.

-ranxx

CGTalk Moderation
07-01-2008, 05:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.