PDA

View Full Version : Simple Walk Cycle, Critique Please!

dpendzich
06-30-2008, 06:47 AM
I've been working on this walk cycle animation and I'd really like your critiqes. I'm really trying to pollish this piece, so let me know if theres any improvements I can make.

YOUTUBE LINK: click to watch (http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=RfH34NqAH40)

Thank you!

MikeYork
06-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Hey Daniel,

Good ol walk cycles :-) They can be very difficult can't they.... I think your off to a great start though...

First things first is that I feel that your character has no weight. You can change this by pulling the character's hips down on the contact position and pulling the character's hips up in the air when she is in her passing position. If this doesnt make sense look at the information on walk cycles in the ANimator's Survival Kit by: Richard William's if you dont have this book allready then you have to buy it NOW! you'll need it trust me :-)

There is a lot of counter balancing that goes on in the body when a character walks for eX: In most cases when the hips rotate to the right lets say.... The shoulders rotate to the left to counteract the hips and so the body can balance itself out. Try and add a lot of that in this walk cycle and really pay attention to how your body counteracts ceratin things and try to apply that here. Walk's are not hard to get going but really hard to get a walk to look good or look polished espicially cycles.... Try and have the character move forward in space if you can.

Hope this feedback helps ... Keep at it it's almost there

dpendzich
07-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Thanks for your feedback! I'll try to apply everything that you've mentioned to my project and post an update. I hope to have you on board with any further critiques. :)

dpendzich
07-01-2008, 08:52 AM
I've made some changes to my previous walk cycle animation. I've added more counter-rotation in the hips and added more weight to the character's walk. I've also sped up the walk just a bit. My previous version of this walk seemed a little slow to me.

Please, let me know if theres anything I can do to further improve this piece. Thank you!

YOUTUBE LINK: http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=ms1U7cfNYd0

lewistaylor
07-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Hey Dan,

Looking good, but there is a slight stutter in your cycle as it loops.

The arms need a bit more overlap, and at the moment the hands look
as if they are fused to the wrist. Get some movement in the hands and
give those fingers some action as well.

Check out my walk cycle to see what I mean about the hands. Not the
best example but meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx12izFovRM

Lewis

dpendzich
07-02-2008, 05:35 AM
Very good observation! My fingers are not animated at all, and I'm also seeing that glitch between each cycle. I'll see what I can do to fix these things.

Thanks for your input, I'll post an updated link as soon as I make the changes.

lewistaylor
07-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Hey Dan,

No probs mate. On second watch I think that the arms could be sped up a bit as
a whole, and maybe their swing reduced a little. Could you render off a side and front
profile view? Maybe offset one of the arms a little, she looks to be lacking personality
at the moment as well.

Hope it helps.

Lewis

dpendzich
07-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Hey, sorry it took so long for me to post. I got caught up in class work.
I've playblasted a couple different views for you guys to look at and added some movement to the fingers as she swings her arms.

I hope these new views on the animation will give you a better look at what needs to be fixed. Thank you!

3/4THS VIEW: YOUTUBE LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDo9tNu3N_I)
SIDE VIEW: YOUTUBE LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7nFzkA7q6Q)
FRONT VIEW: YOUTUBE LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxUXPJ4zC_Q)

Sarford
07-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Daniel, starting to look better :)

Just a quick few notes.

Normaly the foot rolls off to the toes, your pupet hardly has any foot roll off, increasing this might increase the natural look.

Also, clean up your curves, it looks like there are a bump or two in your curves which gives this popping in your animation. You want to have nice flowing curves, except for the feet going into the contact (and the head bob).

On the pasing position, the weight of the body is on the standing leg, so the body moves left and right during the walk.

The spine bends a bit up and down while walking.

Try to have some followthrough on the arms hands. This means that when the upper arm starts to move back, the lower arm still goes foreward, until that also goes back and then the hand is still traveling foreward. This all is happening in just a handfull of frames. The same goes for the foreward motion ofcourse.

Well, there you have it. There is an awfull lot of motion going on in the body during a walk, everything moves. You are on the right track, keep going :)

lewistaylor
07-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey champ,

Still got that stutter as it loops. Make sure your pre and post
infinity curves are on, and that as said before your curves for
everything are identical on your last frame leading into the first.

Or, are you creating copy's of the playblast and stitching em
together in an editing app? Prolly not, but if you are remember
to drop the last frame off your playblast, otherwise you got two
indentical frames following each other.

In the front view, I noticed your character's feet do not move
towards the center at all. Think sexy walk on an imaginery
tightrope, you get the picture.

Looking good mate, just sort out the issue's and it will be
awesome.

Lewis

Atrex
07-13-2008, 09:26 PM
- the legs aren't extending far enough, need to see an almost straight leg for the contact position
- the foot planting on the ground is happening over to much time, needs to flatten much quicker
- the back foot needs to peel off the ground
- I wouldn't have the legs straight forward like that, maybe rotate the foot outward a little or bring the legs in closer to the body slightly at round the passing positions, just so its not completely straight
- few pops in the up/down motion, few come up to quick..highest position in a walk is between the Contact and passing positions
- if you track the hands, they should make a figure 8 type of curve as they swing back and forth
- I would also look at the curves of everything, almost everything feels really even spaced/has even timing. the body should hang a little more at the top so there should less spacing, the arms should swing faster then hold a little more at the fully extend positions, etc..

dpendzich
07-14-2008, 06:36 AM
Thanks everyone! These are all really great notes. I'll take everything that has been said into consideration, make the changes, and post an updated version as soon as I can. I hope to have you all onboard for further critiques!

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2008, 06:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.