PDA

View Full Version : getting started animating a character?

Levitateme
05-25-2003, 12:45 AM
Hi, i was just wondering if some animators out there that could tell me what i need to do to get started animating a character.

i know how to set up a decent enough rig. im not srue what i need to start out doing. i would guess i move the root joint first. then i would move like the legs, then the arms.

when i tried animating long ago, i would move a leg and during some frames it would flip, so i would have to move the knee control and set a key. if i do it on like frame 30 it is set there. so i had to go back to frame 1 and set a key there first.

what im saying is, i just have no idea what i need to do to start. can someone direct me to some links or soemthing, there ways of working? that would help much thanks all.

Doogie
05-25-2003, 05:58 AM
best advice for doing a character animation is start big and then work your way to the smaller minute moves.

First key the body (root) at the begining time and end (or any major movements) of the animation. Then fill in the middle and work your way down the rig, starting with the arms and working your way to the fingers.

It's like painting. Start with broad strokes and gestures of the colors. At the very end, add the small details.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.