PDA

View Full Version : Maya> Zbrush> retop >Maya (scale)

ETCHA-SKETCH
06-28-2008, 11:02 AM
I exported a model from Maya (obj) and brought that into Z3.
I brought in a zsphere and set-up the imported mesh for retopology.

After I retopped the mesh into a lower poly version.
I made an adaptive skin (density 1) and used polymesh3d.

I exported the model. (export setting is defualt value 1.00)

In Maya when I import the retopped mesh the scale is not the same as when it was exported. It is apx. .34 smaller. I must re-scale the mesh to 1.34.

Where is the scale of the object being changed?

What am I missing ? I can't see where to make any adjustment to scale of OBJ imports in Maya. And I don't see where Zbrush is scaling anything in it's settings.

Your help would be greatly appreciatted.

Edit attached image
The image shown is from inside Maya.
The original mesh was exported as obj and brought into Z
Inside Z i made a simple test by setting up mesh for topology, I then set projection to distance of zero. This then duplicated the original mesh tolopology without manually producing the work. I then created adaptive skin and made polymesh3d.
I exported with default value of 1.0 for scale.
Imported into maya with default settings for obj
The image is the result.

Something just doesn't seem right

ETCHA-SKETCH
06-28-2008, 11:50 AM
oops... here's the image

ryankingslien
07-12-2008, 09:28 PM
ETCHA-SKETCH - First, you are not going crazy. I have run into problems like this myself. There is a small problem with ZSpheres and their scale factor in ZBrush. To deal with it, the best thing is to export the model as an OBJ immediately after making the ZSphere model. Then reimport it and work from the re-imported model.

You may have to scale it down in Maya/Max/XSI before reimporting it. :)

Best,

Ryan

ETCHA-SKETCH
08-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Ryan,

Thank you for the reply. My apologies for not returning here sooner. (distractions of life and the gearbox we all are caught up in)

If I recall correctly, this problem was resolved by "not" turning polymesh 3d on, but rather, exporting the adaptive mesh only. (When I am back in studio I will recheck and reply this thread to confirm this. I'm off to the city of Angels at this time)

Meanwhile, I'd like to thank you for all of your videos, online threads, blogs and various tips you've produced regarding Zbrush and it's workflows. Everything I've come across has been very informative and well laid out.

Thanks again Ryan !

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2008, 10:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.