PDA

View Full Version : A realistic tongue set up?

nottoshabi
05-24-2003, 07:47 PM
I have a model that calls for a realistic tongue movement. Iwas wondering if any one had any idea how set this up in Maya.
The tongue needs to move right to left, up and down, and be abel to strech in and out of the mouth. I had couple of ideas but all seemed to to fail. :banghead:

gmask
05-24-2003, 08:58 PM
I would think a chain of joints and a spline IK handle would do the triick and then scale thr Y of the joints with an expression so that it can stretch and lengthen.

loked
05-26-2003, 01:22 PM
I basically use the method that gmask explains, except that instead of using the expressions for the scale of the joints, I just use the offset on the spline Ik handle. Although my method works fine, I think that gmask's method might yield more realistic results. It all just depends on how much detail it really requires. The offset method is definitely easier to setup.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

loked

nottoshabi
05-30-2003, 01:39 AM
Hey guys thanks for your response. I have tryed your methods but I seem to get double deformations when I twist the head left to right.

loked
05-30-2003, 01:47 AM
I think you need to parent your clusters under your skeleton as well. In order to prevent that, but I'm not sure exactly how you've set things up, so I cant say for sure. Try parenting your clusters to the head joint if they aren't already and if they are, then unparent them. Let me know if that helps.

Later

loked

john_homer
06-16-2003, 06:02 AM
check "relative" ON in your cluster attributes...

nottoshabi
06-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Hey guys thanks for all your feed back. I kinda developt my own way of doing it. I would gladly email you the set up.

Thanks guys.

loked
06-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Hey,

Maybe if you can just explain your setup to us in a post, it would be a little easier and other people can also see what you did :thumbsup:

Later :wavey:
loked

nottoshabi
06-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Well what I did is create bones for the tong and a ikSpline made clusters from the cv's.

Then wrote archlen -ch1 and the name of the curve in the comand line, selected the joints and the curve created a multiply and divide, then conected the curve (info to inputX of the multiply and divide) in the connection editor. In the attr change the (input 2 the same as input 1), then select divide. Make a connection of the joints to the multiply and divide (Multiply outputX to joint Input ScaleX or the axis that you want to scale in) do that to all the joints individualy.

Thats it try it let me know what you thinck.

loked
06-17-2003, 02:29 AM
Hey,

Yeah, that's Jason's Schleifer method for his spine setup. I thought it might be a little too much work for a tongue, but if it's not too much of a setup for you to do, then it's an awesome way of getting a stretch.

Later:wavey:
Loked

nottoshabi
06-17-2003, 02:44 AM
Really!!!

Ok cool, I dont own any of Jasons dvd's so I would't really know how he sets up his stuff. But I would like to say sorry Jason cause I know he really dosent like for people to post his secrets. So Jason if u r reading this (SORRY MAN) feel free to delete the post if you like.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.