PDA

View Full Version : maya particles to max

plug3
05-24-2003, 05:02 PM
I am not too familiar with maya but I know it has great dynamics.
Would it be possible to do a particle simulation in maya then export the result to be rendered in Max (using Afterburn..) ?

Thanks.

alexx
05-26-2003, 11:13 AM
if max script has any possibility to
- import particle data in any way (via max script or other)
- has goals for particles (then you could create a poly object in maya that has the exact movement of the particles (only non-emitting)

it could be done.. but all not really simple.

maybe there is a translator that does the job but not that i would know of

cheers

alexx

BrandonD
05-29-2003, 04:53 AM
It's not easy because when working with particles you tend to need more than just transform info from them. Exporting particle transform data from Maya to a text format would be the first step. Then using that format, write a MAXscript that reads in that data. The problem is that you won't have a particle system per se, but either an object sequence or just transform data that you can apply to instanced objects. If you're using Particle Flow you can just use the BirthScript operator to read in the data.

The problem is that most of the time you're going to want to also retain particle properties like Age/Lifespan, velocity, etc.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.