PDA

View Full Version : any suggestion to fog not in maya ?

shooky
06-26-2008, 10:52 AM
hi i am looking for other may be easyer and faster the mayas daynemics .
plug ind or other application?

TiMrozek
06-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Ok, my 3D instructor from way back showed me a great way to do this. It uses a little bit of maya to run a multipass render but you get complete control in a compositing package like after-effects.

I have to apologise because I can't remember exactly how he did it but I can give you an idea that will hopefully steer you in the right direction.

First of all, are you just trying to do an environment fog? If not than stop reading.

Basically what he did was run the regular render pass, after that you apply a gradient projection straight down onto your scene. If your camera is moving around a lot this can get trickier. You would have to basically parent the direction of the gradient to your camera so the fog stays in the distance.

Anyway, project a square gradient (black closest to camera, gray farthest from camera) down on your entire scene, and run a pass of that.

After doing so you bring the gradient into After-Effects, Shake, etc. and import it with alpha and all and I think you just play around with opacity. Gives a nice environment fog to the whole scene. Try it out with a still first of course.

I hope this works for you. I feel like I might be missing something. Just expirement for a little while and it should get you close if not all the way.

rBrady
06-27-2008, 10:48 PM
This is similar but I would say easier. You can do a renderlayer and use the luminance depth setting. This will give you a shader override that gives you basically the same effect. Its easier and is calculated from the camera. The only catch is that you need to disconnect the min/max in the shader from the clipping planes if you are using mental ray. Then you have to fidget with them to get good values in the min/max. If you are using renderman you can use a FastDOF shader.

Once you have done that you can use it as an alpha in a compositing package just like TiMrozek said. I would use his projection method for adding a ground fog component.

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2008, 10:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.