PDA

View Full Version : Student Demo Reel (WIP)

FlyingEyeball32
06-26-2008, 07:28 AM
I am an animation student planning on graduating in December. This project is a reel for credit and is still very much in the tuning stage. I would very much appreciate any kind of feed back on this piece.

Here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs1IfcfHpsk

Thank you for your time

lewistaylor
06-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Hey Marc,

I'd lose the background, and slow down the speed of your turntable
rotation of your models. The wireframe/beauty pass thing is really
being done to death at the moment, and is only really helpfull to show
your models edgeflow. Showing edgeflow is great for organic models as it
shows your level of understanding to model for rigging/animation.

Your models are not likely to be deformed in a way that the edgeflow would
be a big issue. It's a nice touch though, just be carefull how much you use it.

Lewis

JesseGraffam
06-27-2008, 07:39 AM
What's up Marc, how's Boston treating ya? I used to live in Allston a few years ago. which program are you in? Are you at BU or did Mass Art start a 3-d program?

There are a lot of problems with your reel right now as far as professionalism is concerned. There is no need to show the individual pieces of the gun model. Show the whole model In one or two shots. It will help to texture and shade it as well. You should slow down the turntables too. Always put your best work first. The main thing I notice is that a lot of your models are very simple and not very difficult to re-create. A pro could model those in an hour tops. I would try to challenge yourself a bit and have a go at some organic modeling. Try simple things first to get a feel for it, then try a head. After you have a nice head, you could try a full character. If characters aren't what you want to do, then I would focus on doing a full environment, instead of prop and weapon turntables. Right now you are far from being ready for the industry, so I would study up more on current modeling trends. learn how to use normal, spec and occlusion maps.

And always look at what your competition is. That is how you'll get better. Take a look at the galleries here on cgsociety and compare your work to that. Try to achieve that quality as best you can and you'll be ready for the job market.

FlyingEyeball32
07-31-2008, 11:30 PM
This is an update on my reel. I'm still tweaking some the effects and textures but any feed back on my work thus far would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs1IfcfHpsk

JesseGraffam
08-01-2008, 04:30 AM
I really don't know how to critique this. You have not improved your modeling ability. The gun has got to go. It's too simple. The car, too simple. The paint guns, why? Too simple. The gas canisters, why? Too simple, see where I'm going here. You need to be more imaginative with your models. What you have now will not impress any recruiters as most modelers can model this stuff fast and easily. Challenge yourself more. Are you teaching yourself, or are you in school in an actual 3-D program? If you are in school and your professors are telling you your work is good, they are lying to you, straight up.

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2008, 04:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.