PDA

View Full Version : images size for textures

riccoutinho
05-24-2003, 09:56 AM
I took a image file of a soccerball to use with the bump, it is jpg, I know it's not the ideal. What happens is that I create a sphere(default parameters) and apply the bump(projection sphere), everything is ok, but if I scale down the sphere, the bump looks deeper and starts to distort, and if I scale up the bump starts to desapear. How can I avoid that????
Is there an ideal resolution to textures or depends of the surface I'll apply???? And what's better, tga, tiff or what????

Thank you people.:drool:

Bliz
05-25-2003, 02:19 AM
I think you need to delete the history of your shpere so that the spherical projection turns into 'set' UV's. At the moment you are scaling your sphere but your spherical projection manip/icon is staying the same size.

klingspor
05-27-2003, 07:55 PM
There's no "ideal" size for textures, it all depends on how large the objects will appear in your rendered image - small background objects can get away with 256x256 textures, whereas foreground objects should probably just start at 1024x1024...

Also, I'd recommend not using .jpg, since it's a lossy format and doesn't support alpha channels; .tiff or .tga is usually the way to go!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.