PDA

View Full Version : Export .obj, what did I do?

Kanga
06-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Modo 301
3dsmax 2080
ZBrush 3.1
xp pro sp2.

I did something wierd. Exported a uved mesh from modo, imported it into zb3.1 and it came in at about 0.1 the size, which is kinda inconvienient. This never happened before and I cant find export settings in modo (maybe there arnt any). I have not scaled the model in modo but I did repair the mesh in max which exported the obj at 1. I could size the model in modo but it seems important to know if there are settings for this, looked everywhere.

Dont max and modo like each other :D.

All advice appreciated.

Novakog
06-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Unfortunately, modo's I/O SDK doesn't currently allow settings to be specified by the user, and I believe that OBJ files don't have strict scale definitions, so for now you will have to scale the scene in modo.

If you wanted to streamline the process, you could record a macro to do this, as long as you were always saving the scene as the same name. If you wanted to use it for any scene, you'd have to make a script I think. I would ask on modo's scripting forums (at the Luxology website) about it; it's probably simple enough that someone might actually write it for you.

Kanga
07-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Hey thanx for the advice Andrew.
Scaling in Modo didn't help, the mesh still came in at about 0.1 of the original size. I used zspheres in zb for the first time and they came out crossed up so I imported the mesh into max from Modo for editing. Shouldnt have done that even though the export scale from max was 1. This won't be part of my workflow in future ha ha!

Thanx again for your help.
Cheerio Chris

Novakog
07-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Oh, it's also possible it may work to just change your unit system in modo. Under system>preference, go to accuracy, and perhaps merely changing the unit system to Metric and the default unit to centimeters may do the trick.

Kanga
07-01-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanx Andrew that's probably it.
I usually go from Zb to Modo for uv's and some mesh tweaks then back to Zb and from there once the disp maps are done (etc) to max and everything fits perfectly. This time was major surgery and I did it in Max because I am not too familiar with Modo as a modeller, I understand it is outstanding in that dept. though. Next time I wont be so lazy;).

Cheerio Chris

CGTalk Moderation
07-01-2008, 02:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.