PDA

View Full Version : Smoke flow through pipe

Halogen
06-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Hi All,

I'm trying to create an effect of smoke flowing through a pipe. What i've thought of and had a play with so far is a basic directional particle emitter, entering a pipe with the particles set up to collide with this pipe. I'm not sure how to really create a realistic looking smoke flow, i've played with some drag to slow it down a little, contemplated some turbulence to get some variation in the flow but not exactly sure how to make it look realistic.

Any help or ideas how to tackle this in a relatively realistic way would be appreciated.

=LuxX=
06-25-2008, 01:35 PM
hello.

pffjew.. ill try to explain ( if you have maya unlimited) i just watched the digital tutors dvd.

oki here we go.
make 3D container with emitter (under dynamic tab-> fluid effects/ creat 3d with emitter)
if you pres play on your timeline you already see smoke ( sort of) emiter you cn place where ever you want but has to stay in the box.
make a cilinder an put it in the the 3D container then select the cilinder and the container and go to fluid effects -> make collide. this already should do the trick.

may i remember that you can not scale the 3d box by hand. you need to extend the box under fluid effects also. else the resolution will mes up.

the atribute editor will lead you to more options for the fluid. i would say just try out some thing and if you have any furhter questions i love to help out.. i check here often.

Halogen
06-26-2008, 03:56 AM
Thanks for your response luxx. Unfortunately I don't have ultimate so I won't be able to get your fluid solution to work.

After playing around with maya a little more, I found the Curve Follow tool which emits particles from one end and allows them to follow a cylinder shape. That solves my problem about how the smoke would flow down the tube. How would one make particles look like real smoke (imagine smoke from a cigarette). I think that's the challenging part.

TiMrozek
06-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Well, I know Unlimited 8.5 actually comes with a cigarette smoking example. You can check your dynamic examples and see if you have that. You could just disseminate the example scene to figure out how it works and than use it how you want to.

Halogen
06-28-2008, 03:09 AM
Sorry i should have mentioned im not using Unlimited, im using 2008 NON unlimited. I don't really need a cigarette look after thinking about it, just looks cooler. I've played with the curve follow tool with 2 emitters, one curve smaller than the other to make a dense line of particles, and a less dense surrounding it. With that, i've played with assigning sprites to per particle and played with the colour + opacity ramps in render options. Is looking a little better but still isnt exactly what I want. I guess i'll keep playing

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2008, 03:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.