PDA

View Full Version : Laptop for business school...

lukasdesign
06-24-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm going to attend business school, but that doesn't mean that I have to leave all the aesthetics behind...
I wanna do my PowerPoint presentations nice :-))
Therefore I will need a laptop, as I have to travel a lot.

I don't plan to do any 3d on the laptop, so I wonder if it has to have a GPU card.
I will do alot of photoshop, InDesign, CorelDraw Flash and (Open)Office.
It should be able to playback some movies though...
Will any of these aplpications make any use of a 3d card?

what are the recommanded laptops?
I would like to go for a 15.4" (best compromise between mobility and screen size to work)
CPU power is not that important I guess, as these guys present everything on screen and laserprints, So the PS files will not be bigger than 300dpi.
2 gig of Ram should be fine.
3d card recommanded or not? if yes: 8400gt or 8600gt
I would like to have a good battery in it!!!

So far I consider the Dell XPS M1530, or a Vaio, but they are more expensive as they come often with Blue RAy taht I don't need.
Are the glossy screens a probelm? My girl has a rather old vaio with glossy screen its horrible to my eyes...

Question about Vista: can I turn off all the fancy tehmes like I do in Xp Pro (looks like win 2000 in fact, search etc included) or will i loose alot of ram to the OS.

thanks to everybody!

dan1el
06-26-2008, 09:46 AM
none of the apps mentioned utilizes from a 3D card, no need for that. Though you would like RAM and CPU power.

Glossy screens are a matter of preferences, I kinda like them, though I have not worked with any.

The Vista themes can turned of so that it looks like XP, but I do not think you can go all the way back to W2000.

Get the one where the specs are the best (lower specs = more battery juice... dilemma ;) )

snipa101
06-26-2008, 02:14 PM
i've been purchasing the lenovo think pad T61 series. you can't go wrong. its definitely for the business type user, and also can handle some gaming. not too mention it has lots of nice little features for presentations and mobility.

oh and it can handle battlefield 2 and team fortress 2

biliousfrog
06-26-2008, 04:11 PM
I've got a glossy screen on my Asus and it's terrible...I wanted to be able to work in the garden or in the kitchen when I didn't have much on but I can't use it anywhere that's got bright light. I also had a glass screen on my old LCD monitor that was supposed to increase definition...it worked but only when the sun had gone down and all the lights were turned off, otherwise you could see everything behind you. Since getting a "normal" LCD I've stopped getting headaches caused by eye-strain.

I sold my Sony PSP after 6 months for exactly the same reason...such a stupid design, a portable playstation that can only be used in a dark room :banghead:

lukasdesign
06-27-2008, 10:00 AM
So I came down to the Lenovo T61 as well as the HP Compaq 8510p or the Acer TravelMate 6592G
They are quite similar 15.4" (WSXGA+) laptops with non glare panels.
the acer has good revies, some critics for the panel, while the lenovo has some complains about battery life.

Pricings are: in swiss francs (chf)

T61: 1720chf
GPU Quadro NVS 140 with 128MB, CPU t8300 2.4ghz /3M Cache, 160GB HDD, 6 Cell battery,

Acer: 1770chf
Ati HD 2400 , CPU t9300 2.5ghz /6M Cache, 250GB HDD, 8 Cell battery,

HP: 1830chf.
Ati HD 2600 with 256MB , CPU t9300 2.5ghz /6M Cache, 160GB HDD, 8 Cell battery,

Which one would you suggest?
I'm curious about battery: Hp and Acer put 8 cells, while the T61 has a 6 cell. Does that make a big difference?

how big are differences of these two CPU's?
how do the GPU compare????

RobotClayton
06-27-2008, 05:57 PM
I have a lenovo X61 tablet (12.1 inch). You can get it in a high resolution screen (1400x 1050). I decided to get the multitouch instead (mistake)...

Anyway I have not had any hardware problems. It is made of metal--and thank god--cause I am not nice to my things. The battery life is about 6.5 hours if I am just web surfing or typing.

I've used it for photoshop, but the resolution is annoyingly low. It seems to have a hard time with smudging hi res images too. Most systems slow down though.

But anyway, lenovo really stands behind their product, the customer service is great. I got a scratch on my screen. I called up customer service at 3am and had a return box waiting outside of my door before I worke up at 10am. I have the "accident" warranty though, but damn.

And it runs WoW like a champ!

Kai01W
06-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm sure you can get a bigger battery for the lenovo if you wanted to (probably sticks out at the back of the machine).
The lenovos are very solid and worth their money in my opinion. Plus I like their design.
I had a X31 thinkpad which survived so many things its crazy (including a little bath in a river). When I wanted to get an update recently I tried an HP subnotebook and was rather disappointed by the overall quality (although it was the business line). So I sent it backl
So now I'm back to thinkpads with an X61s. Very happy about it. Sure this is just an anecdote of one user, so... try for yourself.

-k

Trafalgar
06-29-2008, 07:14 AM
The only thing to concern is Office version.

I'm in a business school too and it's pain while using windows vista. Vista comes with office2007 which is totally different with the famous office2003 used on XP. There are ways to save file to same format and share so I don't worry about. However the bad part was stats class while professor showed how to backsolve the problem using "Goal seek" and other different commands that the interface of 2003 and 2007 looks very different and hard to find. Mac with MS Office is okay but I'm not sure the open office will have any problem.

The good start is to check your business school website. They have an initial recommendation for laptop specs & software used. Good luck!

lukasdesign
07-02-2008, 09:24 AM
put Xp Pro on it, that's for shure.
I have a spare licence for the the 64bit version

namelesshero
07-04-2008, 03:29 PM
I cant recommend MAC book pro,..anything above 2 ghz with 4 gigs of ram, run Windows and Mac at the same time and they look great.

namelesshero
07-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Oh yea, glossy screens suck bigtime!!

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2008, 03:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.