PDA

View Full Version : Question about uniform scaling

vrusch
06-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi,

Maybe someone can help me out with this one :

After importing a 5 letter word, let's say "basic", I normally parent the letters A-S-I-C to the letter "B". From that moment on I can translate and rescale the way I like.

Since I've been using v7.01 however, this trick doesn't work anymore.
I select my letter "B" (parent), it scales perfectly, but the parented letters do not follow...

I checked preferences/import and "inherit scale" is checked as always.
Can somebody tell me what "blocks" my uniform scaling ?

Regards, Bert.

www.silverbullet3d.com/eias_benchmark/

AzOne
06-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Sorry if you've already done this Bert, but is "inherit scale" on for every child letter in the group link window?

Sometimes I forget and only set it for one, when instead I should have control clicked (Mac keyboard) and set it for all.

Also, if scaling using deforms, remember to set the "inherit deformation" on for all children.

vrusch
06-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks Aziz, that fixed it.

For some reason I do not remember that I had to tweak those things in the past.
It always worked well for me automatically.

Cheers, Bert.

halfworld
06-24-2008, 01:09 PM
There is a preference to set 'inherit scale' to be on by default. Preferences > Import and data.

Ian

vrusch
06-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Yep. That's what I did before I imported my objects.
The more reason why I do not understand what happenend ...

halfworld
06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Interesting, it's working here.

Can you double check the setting/ import a different model and see if it still doesn't default correctly?

Cheers,
Ian

vrusch
06-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Just started a blank project to make sure nothing else interferes.

Here are my steps in 7.01 -->

a) Before importing I check my prefs : under the Import&Data TAB all default boxes are checked.

b) I import via (menu) "import object" and chose the option "seperate" to import my word as 5 different characters.

c) Once imported, I parent the last 4 letters of my word to the first one (example : adding A-S-I-C to the letter "B")

d) When done, I try scaling the letter "B" and all hell breaks loose ....

halfworld
06-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Try making a new word and going again, it just worked for me here, I'm not sure if the inherit properties can be stored inside a fact file, maybe they are inside this one and are overriding the default...

Best,
Ian

PS. Make an ubershape, check it's inherit settings....

vrusch
06-24-2008, 04:31 PM
All Ubershapes work fine for me too.
Must be something inside the geometry file.

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2008, 04:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.